GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Mum, I’ve lost my computer.........""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/07/01 at 00:22
Regular
How small can they get...?

Mobile phones at first started out like breeze blocks…then bricks….and now they’re smaller than your hand (That is unless you have really tiny hands!)

Computers started out as big operating machines about the size of a car, that at their best managed to print out a few pages of text...and from then on they have got smaller and smaller…

First PCs, then smaller PCs, then laptops, and now you can even use a mobile phone to do many things a computer does. And Game Consoles are the same, just keep getting smaller and smaller.

In their time these large components were apparently “as small as they could get”, but No, we just keep proving ourselves wrong and making them smaller.

Yes, you know what I’m getting to…The GameCube... It is about 10cm x 15cm… I mean do we really need these game consoles this small? (I’m not having a dig at Nintendo)

I always use to view my computer as a house hold object, along with the washing machine and microwave!

I could never lose my computer; it was never going to move.

I would never have thought I would see the day where I heard “Mum, I’ve lost my computer”, “Don’t worry Son, I found it down the back of the sofa this morning”.
Can you imagine trying to squash your PC down the back of your sofa! It just wouldn’t happen.

Why is it we are always looking for the smallest next best thing?

Will we in 10 years time be saying, “My computer’s TOO small, I want a bigger one” ?!

What I am asking you is, can computers or game consoles get any smaller and if so will this be a good or bad thing?
Mon 23/07/01 at 14:02
No idea guys, all I know about is whats in the article below, I did have a look at the University of Californias website ...lets just say chip design, and optical chip design just aint my field.
Mon 23/07/01 at 01:49
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Do you have any idea how much that would COST?
Sun 22/07/01 at 22:13
Regular
A grain of sand!....thats pretty impressive...Cant wait to see it in action in the future
Sun 22/07/01 at 22:07
No console news yet, heres the info from PCW since your interested:

"US scientists have developed a refridgerator the size of a grain of sand to keep computer chips cold. The microcoolers, developed by Optoelectronics Research Group of the University of California, have managed to cool chips by 7 degrees centigrade. They exploit a thermoelectric effect using up to 200 layers of alternating between silicon and germanium."
Sun 22/07/01 at 21:38
Regular
New Jimmy wrote:
How small will they get, very small especially with the new chip cooling technology thats been developed recently.

Whats this chip cooling technology?.... Sounds intresting.... Do you know the developer behind this...and what console will we se it in?

Thanks
Sun 22/07/01 at 21:35
Smaller computers are definately the way forward.

Lets be honest Laptops are cool, and so the GameCube will be cool to.
Besides which a smaller console is easier to take over your mates house. A good reason to buy the GameCube.

How small will they get, very small especially with the new chip cooling technology thats been developed recently.
Sun 22/07/01 at 21:27
Regular
deejay wrote:
Why the title "Mum, I’ve lost my
> computer........."?

You didnt read the post did you?.... It was a quote from it... Hence the quotation marks... :)
Sun 22/07/01 at 19:31
OK

Why the title "Mum, I’ve lost my computer........."?

and yes computers will get smaller cos people want it smaller but i agree if it is too small it could get awkward!
Sun 22/07/01 at 12:04
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Dav1d wrote:
> Do you think we will see games on mobile phones soon?

No, I dont
> mean snakes and racket, I mean proper games.

You cant
> underestimate it because the GameBoy black and white model isnt all
> that special (graphics i mean)

So will we be seeing Gran Turismo
> on our mobile phones in the future?!

The new phones that will be released some time in the future ( I think they are 3G phones or something like that) will have java built in making the games for them a better standard then the normal black and white ones we have now. They can be in full colour. Little is known yet of what kind of games to expect but they probably wont be to good to begin with.
Sun 22/07/01 at 09:47
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
Blast. Hit the cut on my keyboard again. Im using a laptop so alll the keys are close together and verrrrry light

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.