GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Mum, I’ve lost my computer.........""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/07/01 at 00:22
Regular
How small can they get...?

Mobile phones at first started out like breeze blocks…then bricks….and now they’re smaller than your hand (That is unless you have really tiny hands!)

Computers started out as big operating machines about the size of a car, that at their best managed to print out a few pages of text...and from then on they have got smaller and smaller…

First PCs, then smaller PCs, then laptops, and now you can even use a mobile phone to do many things a computer does. And Game Consoles are the same, just keep getting smaller and smaller.

In their time these large components were apparently “as small as they could get”, but No, we just keep proving ourselves wrong and making them smaller.

Yes, you know what I’m getting to…The GameCube... It is about 10cm x 15cm… I mean do we really need these game consoles this small? (I’m not having a dig at Nintendo)

I always use to view my computer as a house hold object, along with the washing machine and microwave!

I could never lose my computer; it was never going to move.

I would never have thought I would see the day where I heard “Mum, I’ve lost my computer”, “Don’t worry Son, I found it down the back of the sofa this morning”.
Can you imagine trying to squash your PC down the back of your sofa! It just wouldn’t happen.

Why is it we are always looking for the smallest next best thing?

Will we in 10 years time be saying, “My computer’s TOO small, I want a bigger one” ?!

What I am asking you is, can computers or game consoles get any smaller and if so will this be a good or bad thing?
Sat 21/07/01 at 00:22
Regular
How small can they get...?

Mobile phones at first started out like breeze blocks…then bricks….and now they’re smaller than your hand (That is unless you have really tiny hands!)

Computers started out as big operating machines about the size of a car, that at their best managed to print out a few pages of text...and from then on they have got smaller and smaller…

First PCs, then smaller PCs, then laptops, and now you can even use a mobile phone to do many things a computer does. And Game Consoles are the same, just keep getting smaller and smaller.

In their time these large components were apparently “as small as they could get”, but No, we just keep proving ourselves wrong and making them smaller.

Yes, you know what I’m getting to…The GameCube... It is about 10cm x 15cm… I mean do we really need these game consoles this small? (I’m not having a dig at Nintendo)

I always use to view my computer as a house hold object, along with the washing machine and microwave!

I could never lose my computer; it was never going to move.

I would never have thought I would see the day where I heard “Mum, I’ve lost my computer”, “Don’t worry Son, I found it down the back of the sofa this morning”.
Can you imagine trying to squash your PC down the back of your sofa! It just wouldn’t happen.

Why is it we are always looking for the smallest next best thing?

Will we in 10 years time be saying, “My computer’s TOO small, I want a bigger one” ?!

What I am asking you is, can computers or game consoles get any smaller and if so will this be a good or bad thing?
Sat 21/07/01 at 00:30
Regular
THe PC will get phased out sooner rather than later and laptops should take over. You will never lose it becasue the moniter will always have to be a readable size.

And what exactly do u mean by "do we really need these games consoles so small?" the smaller it is, the less space it takes up.
Sat 21/07/01 at 00:32
Regular
"everyone says it"
Hopefully if rumours are correct the new iMac is a computer running inside a 17'' TFT flatpanal monitor.

Woah!
Sat 21/07/01 at 01:02
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
That's not possible.
Sat 21/07/01 at 01:51
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Computers will gradualy get smaller but not as small as some of you seem to think. If you look inside your computer it looks packed with boards,wires and plugs. So where are you going to put all this in a lap top? Ok so l;ap tops are small but they dont have a DVD player + CD reWriter + floppy drive and as much memory capacity as a larger desktop. It all depends on what different advances come around to do with computer architecture, if these improve alot then the size can be reduced.
Sat 21/07/01 at 03:10
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
AliBoy wrote:
> Computers will gradualy get smaller but not as small as some of you
> seem to think. If you look inside your computer it looks packed with
> boards,wires and plugs. So where are you going to put all this in a
> lap top? Ok so l;ap tops are small but they dont have a DVD player +
> CD reWriter + floppy drive and as much memory capacity as a larger
> desktop. It all depends on what different advances come around to do
> with computer architecture, if these improve alot then the size can
> be reduced.

Erm....

I've got an Acer Veriton FP2 Desktop computer, it's got DVD, 800MHz PIII, 128MB RAM, FDD, HDD, 15" flat-panel display mounted onboard the main casing, and you can carry it around by its handle, even though it's not strictly a portable.

My mum's got an Advent Laptop, also with DVD, 800MHz PIII, same RAM, FDD, HDD and a 15" flat-panel display. She can carry it around under her arm. Specification-wise, it's actually better than my PC as it has more onboard video RAM.

That's a 18 month old laptop as well, so it won't be long until they'll be throwing in CD-RW's, onboard printers, you name it, the laptop will be getting it within 24 months I suspect.

As the consoles get smaller, we're looking more and more at the age of the portable console. If they can cram a cassette recorder from the size of a large shoebox into a Sony Walkman, it won't be long before they can cram a next gen console into the size of a Walkman too.

Then, wherever you are, you can carry your console around with you and plug it into a display unit (be it monitor, T.V. etc), perhaps on the back of a carseat, or a display unit provided in a hotel room, or on a train, or on a flight, the possibilities are pretty much endless. Then the display units themselves can be downsized as the technology improves, until you have portable consoles like the PSOne with Screen, but a lot more smaller and more advanced.

The size is only limited by the media that the games are on, but they could do away with that altogether by having a modem installed and a hard disc drive installed, so when you want to buy a game you just dial up using your consoles onboard software through WAP and order the game you want which then downloads to the hard disc, which by this time in the future will be 6 zillion GB and the size of a small button.

Nothing is impossible.
Sat 21/07/01 at 10:53
Really if comuters and consoles are going to get any smaller they will first need to design smaller disk and stuff, hey nintendo have already started doing this. I think that they will keep getting smaller and smaller until it gets to the point where the games are actually bigger than the consoles, hey would that work? The answer is no of course it wont so just imagine the size of the games when the consoles are as small as they will possibly go.

I don't really see the point in making things smaller and smaller cos like Dav1d said you are more likely to lose them. I know lets keep things the same size as they are now.
Sat 21/07/01 at 13:43
Regular
Another thing I forgot to mention was Music, first Tape Recorders, then Portable CD Players, now mini-disc players.

Does anyone know the actual size of a GameCube DVD?

I know a mini disc is about 7cm in diameter and that only stores music on it, surely putting a full game on one would be impossible?

If the discs do get smaller and they cant fit all they want onto them, then I can visualise them going back to the old days with the Amiga, where there were about 15 different discs you had to put in every now and again!

Would that be acceptable now?, I know it gets very tiresome changing 2 discs in the middle of a game!
Sat 21/07/01 at 14:21
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
The GameCube is 6" * 6" * 4.3". Which is quite small for todays standards.

As for the point about disks needing to get smaller. They will. IBM are working on holograpic memory in which the disks they plan to use are small Square shaped ones. So it does look like things will get smaller.
Sat 21/07/01 at 14:35
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
...and squarer.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.