GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"N64 Vs. Gamecube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/07/01 at 22:40
Regular
I and many others loved the 64, you all go on about how CD’s were better and it was Nintendo’s mistake and there is not grown up games etc… and what did we do? We smiled we didn’t care what they thought we were playing Zelda, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, No Mercy and Conker whilst you played with Metal gear solid, Final Fantasy and Smackdown and after we compare the games we were laughing.

But what can I say despite out beliefs the N64 sold badly. The expensive games, the lack of FMV style graphics, the childish image (even though Nintendo are not), no CD quality sounds, the lack of advertisement and the lack of 3rd party support made this wonder machine falter. It is now time for change and Nintendo are delivering.

Nintendo have kept what made them so huge in the first place their stunning first and second party games (Well those at E3 claim they are stunning) and with new second party developers in the form of Silicon knights and Retro studios are on board to bring more classic Nintendo material. Nintendo are also keeping with their multiplayer image as well which has served them well in the past.

Expensive ha, Nintendo have most defiantly sorted that out with a £150 console, which beats all it’s rivals and games that retail much lower than carts did early on at about £35-40.

FMV and the CD quality sounds are now capable with the move to a disc format and with games like Too human, Eternal Darkness, Perfect Dark 2, Turok Evolution, Conker’s other bad day (probably), the new grown up style Mario and Resident Evil 0 and 4 proves to me that Nintendo’s childish looking era I starting to change.

Advertisement is getting well underway in the form of the Gameboy Advance! It sold tones and those of you who looked will see a Gamecube on the back. If Nintendo can successfully model the Gamecube as an essential to go with the Gameboy Advance then Nintendo’s popularity will rise rapidly.

Now I have been over 3rd party support before and you can see more in the future additions to my developer series of posts but with 12 Acclaim games promised, 3 Namco (including a beat em up), Capcom making a few Nintendo only games, Squaresoft willing to work with Nintendo again, THQ promising tones of games including a wrestling one, Konami hinting at MGS2 on the Gamecube and Silent hill 2 all of which sounds promising and many more I just couldn’t be bothered to list.

Sony fans maybe attacking the yet to be released Gamecube but this time I believe they are worried. The Gamecube is doing what the N64 did well and what the Playstation did well as well. This could be a very promising fight ahead of us.

Here’s to the future

Dringo
Sat 21/07/01 at 01:06
Regular
ortega/veron 4 reason for not owning a ps2. too damn expensive. not that i cant afford it, but i would rather invest my money in the future of ninty becasue thats where the quality games with initiativeare coming from.

have i not said before that i do own a PSone?
Sat 21/07/01 at 01:04
Regular
Timesplitters excellent

Tekken Tag = ahem
Fifa = ahem
Starfighter= ahem
Crazy taxi = old but a classic
Oddesy or what ever = ahem
Ridge racer = allright
GT3= playing soon
etc...
Sat 21/07/01 at 01:02
Regular
My good old Brother has a PS2 i do compare!
Sat 21/07/01 at 01:01
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No, I try not to be a true Nintyphobe for that very reason. I know I cannot possibly have played all the games and as such I avoid generalisations such as that and I will never be "totally biased" as I have been described.

Don't forget though that that rule goes both ways. Dring Ortega/Vernon 4 and all the others have absolutely no idea of the games on the PS2 and that's why comments such as "All Sony games are unoriginal/sequels" enrage me so much.

I used Mario and Banjo though as a prime example. Everyone says they are absolutely the best games ever but I simply have to disagree. I'm not saying they're not the best games ever for you bt in my games I like a more skillful, mature and interlectual approach such as Monkey 4, SSX and TimeSplitters.

Er-no, you are the exception to this rule as you own both a Nintendo and a PS2. I cannot deny I am saddened because you are unhappy with your PS2 and that's OK but I do strongly feel you are buying the wrong games. Yes, it may not have been everything that Sony promised but it's still bloodt good and do you honestly think the GC will be any better?
Sat 21/07/01 at 01:00
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
What people dont realise that the N64 Did and still OUTSELLS the PSX Today in the US.
Wow, what a system!
Sat 21/07/01 at 00:59
Regular
hmmmmmmm i'm not sure i'll look into it.

I'm sure i heared it on Game network but that was made by Capcom???
Sat 21/07/01 at 00:56
Regular
"Rendering Women."
Dringo wrote:
> Who made secrets of mana????

Erm Squaresoft, but if I can remember Nintendo had a lot to do with it!

Illusion of Time? California Games NES? Addams Family?
Sat 21/07/01 at 00:54
Regular
Who made secrets of mana????
Sat 21/07/01 at 00:53
Regular
hell, i havnt even played some of thise games er-yes is banign on about.
Sat 21/07/01 at 00:45
Regular
"Rendering Women."
Turbonutter wrote:
> I don't believe you can beat me at this argument. I am just saying I
> don't like Nintendo games and there's nothing you can ever say or do
> to make me change my mind, end of story.

Sadly, no, but then again you have not played all of Nintendo's games, most games from Nintendo are amazing, that's why they are so well respected by even their rivals.

Have you played Marble Madness? Timelord? Maniac Mansion? SoM? Well then, your opinion is not that of a true hater, you are just a fan of Sony.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.