GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pikmin"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pikmin'.
Fri 23/04/04 at 18:02
Regular
I'm a bit sick of Hitman 2 and Harvest Moon at moment, along with my other currently-played games, so I decided to give Pikmin a quick go and really rekindled my love of the thin, odd looking plants.

I never really remember Pikmin being as good as it is. I always liked it, but returning it seems wonderful, and more of a Nintendo game than Wind Waker and Sunshine. Building up 100's of slaves, racing against the clock to safety... I never really realised how great this is, and despite being a bit sceptical about the 2nd, I'm really looking forward to it now.

RBS is just plain wrong. Not liking this is foolish, it's a true Nintendo masterpiece and, in terms of gameplay, almost faultless (bar a few niggles when trying to seperate Pikmin.)

This is why a bought a GameCube.
Mon 26/04/04 at 20:15
Regular
The time limit didn't bother me at all, other than length it worked for Pikmin in every way. With Pikmin 2 I just can't see the same hectic feeling being faithfully emulated.

In my opinion, Pikmin is easily one of the best games out for current-generation consoles. I can see myself returning again and again, probably after the Cube's successor is released.

Anyway, I completed it today, managed to do it in 17 days which is a nice little record. It's odd how three of the really powerful foes that are shown in the ending hardly appear at all, I only saw one while I playing through, that evil, slimy-invisible thing on the Distant Spring, and I don't think I've ever seen the other two. Perhaps they're little teasers of enemies on Pikmin 2, seeing as that green thing seems to be poisonous, and the Albino Pikmin don't get affected by poison.
Mon 26/04/04 at 20:27
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
The one you see in the sort of secret area of the Landing Site only appears on the 13th day. It's impossible nearly, but when you beat it, you get about 250 worth of capsules.
Mon 26/04/04 at 23:21
Regular
"thursdayton!"
[URL]http://www.cubed-3.co.uk/staff/tempo88/pikmin2h_april8.jpg[/URL] & [URL]http://www.cubed-3.co.uk/staff/tempo88/pikmin2h_april11.jpg[/URL]

This game is looking gorrrgeous. Cubed-3.co.uk just added loads more new yummy screens..
Tue 27/04/04 at 09:41
Regular
If you go on Lik-Sang there's a picture of a Game & Watch being carried by some Pikmin. Yay!
Tue 27/04/04 at 09:57
Regular
[URL]http://www.cubed-3.co.uk/modules/jbscreens//index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=3139[/URL]

Wouldn't it be nice if you could control them at some point in the game? Mmmm. I'm thinking they'll more likely be to trick you, though, plucking them out of the ground then getting attacked.

Even if it's not as good as the first, Pikmin 2 will rock. Some the new enemies look brilliant, and all of them seem to look very shiny.
Wed 28/04/04 at 11:55
Regular
The creating of time generated pressure can exist in other forms though.

Pikmin would be a joy to play at leasure, sure the challenge is reduced but in that case Nintendo should make the enemies harder, the ship parts harder to find etc... meaning spending time getting used to the area and building a Pikmin army wouldn't make the game any easier.

Granted the time limit created pace but then this is a Nintendo game... Nintendo games are not about a quick blast of fun then another. Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin are the only efforts from Nintendo that have properly tried to do that.

Sunshine may have been shorther than 64 but the game was still very big. Sunshine for me was a fantastic game, the re-play factor came into effect with re-living and beating the times of my favourite mini-games... which I did till Eternal Darkness came out. Wind Waker again was a gorgeous game as was Prime, a lot of depth, you are never rushed and can simply learn to love the environment.

Pikmin like the above 3 titles also had purly wonderful levels, filled with depth and exploration, dangers and intrigue. Every new enemy, dark area etc... was approached with caution and i avoided some areas as I didn't have time to re-build the environment if disaster struck.

I'd love to lead myself and a band of Pikmin just to explore the land. Not worrying about collecting anything, just a little walk, see the enemies, the sights. Take in what I have to do and then perhaps the next day build a required army and the following day go on an expedition.

I couldn't do that with Pikmin 1. And the time limit is still there, just the daily one. And that rush of getting your Pikmin back in time and the time management element of what you can do in a day still exists.

The difficulty of the game shouldn't be dictated by one of Nintendo's poorer ideas of placing a time limit on you.

Dringo.
Wed 28/04/04 at 12:05
Regular
But Pikmin isn't about slowly exploring areas, it's about frantically rushing about at the last second to get that all-important ship piece.

Unless ship parts are really hard to get and after each day they get reset (so you'd have to repeat a boss or a retrace your steps throguh a dangerous area) the same tense atmosphere would be lost. Sure, it would be good, but not classic. Nintendo created a truly genius concept and backed it up with a beautiful game, in terms of design, structure and play. Pikmin 2 will no doubt be good fun, but unless it finds some other way to induce tension into the game, I can't see it living to peoples expectations.

I'd rather the next two Pikmin games being short if they managed to better their prequels, but without the time limit I can't see that happening. A game like Mario wouldn't work with a time limit, but the way Pikmin plays is perfectly suited to being rushed.
Wed 28/04/04 at 13:10
Regular
Miyamoto's games are ALWAYS about exploring. It was even his excuse for taking the platforming focus out of Metroid Prime.

The original Pikmin just warped into the rush game when the time limit was added in. Pikmin's not the sort of game you want tension in, it sort of stops you from anjoying it, rushing through the game rather than taking your time and enjoying yourself.

:-)
Wed 28/04/04 at 15:33
Regular
Spend a day just wondering around one of the beautifully crafted levels, just looking, discover what there is... finding new little areas with your Pikmin.

I've already played a frantic Pikmin game... now I want a slow one.
Wed 28/04/04 at 16:00
Regular
Well I'll get Pikmin 2, enjoy it and complete it, but I doubt I'll return after two years to play through it again. Yes, most Nintendo games encourage exploration and the like, and I can imagine a slow-paced Pikmin being 'nice', but it works better with a time limit.

The structure of the first Pikmin isn't like any other Nintendo game I've played. There's still go to be the limited time within each day, my complaint is that there's seemingly no incentive to rush to the end, or return after completion. Pikmin really urged you on but you can take as long as you please in the second edition.

Of course there could be things Nintendo haven't told us about. Much like those uber-creatures, perhaps certain secret items can only be collected on certain days, maybe they are reset every time you restart the level. There are ways the same exhilerating experience could be done, just none that have been revealed.

We'll have to wait and see.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.