GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pikmin"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pikmin'.
Fri 23/04/04 at 18:02
Regular
I'm a bit sick of Hitman 2 and Harvest Moon at moment, along with my other currently-played games, so I decided to give Pikmin a quick go and really rekindled my love of the thin, odd looking plants.

I never really remember Pikmin being as good as it is. I always liked it, but returning it seems wonderful, and more of a Nintendo game than Wind Waker and Sunshine. Building up 100's of slaves, racing against the clock to safety... I never really realised how great this is, and despite being a bit sceptical about the 2nd, I'm really looking forward to it now.

RBS is just plain wrong. Not liking this is foolish, it's a true Nintendo masterpiece and, in terms of gameplay, almost faultless (bar a few niggles when trying to seperate Pikmin.)

This is why a bought a GameCube.
Sun 25/04/04 at 00:11
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> It's Miyamoto, paying homage to older characters. It isn't hard
> coming up with a name, relating it to the Mario franchise is only
> spotted by the die hards.

Wow Mr. Dringo.. does that mean I'm a die-hard now? Whoopdeedoo!!

:)
Sun 25/04/04 at 10:57
Regular
Personally I think it was much better for being rushed. Length is an issue, but Pikmin never really felt like an epic quest, it felt much, much better when you had to quickly rush back to camp with the final ship piece of the area. It gave you incentive to return and better yourself. When I first got it I played through it twice in order to get all ship pieces, and since then I've think I've completed it another 2 times. Like Miyamoto said, this is a game that you'll play through over and over again.

I think he got it wrong with trying to create Mario Sunshine like that, as I don't feel much incentive to return to Delfino and better my... exactly. It doesn't sound like much of a reason to return, but strangely enough it is. I'm not one for bettering scores and the like, but when something truly wonderful like Pikmin (and to a lesser extent, Ikaruga) comes along, I can't help but keep playing through whenever there's a dull moment on my GameCube.

These kind of classic return-'em-ups may not be quite like playing through epics such as Prime and Zelda, but they're still a firm favourite in my collection. I'm hoping to add to this with the likes of Shikigami no Shiro 2 (the scoring system is a work of a genius, and while not quite brilliant as Ikaruga, I'm sure it'll keep me playing) and hopefully more Nintendo short 'n' sweet games.

Despite disagreeing with their gaming decisions at times, Nintendo are rarely wrong; connectivety, everyone thought Nintendo were completely mad, but Four Swords Adventures and Pac-Man Vs. proved that Nintendo were right all along, and all those years ago when Shigsy said he was focusing on short 'n' sweet titles, while many of us groaned at the thought, I don't think we'd have the wonderful world of Pikmin in or collection if he didn't.

Even though it's had brilliant scores, I just hope Pikmin 2 doesn't lose its essense of play, if being rushed makes a game that good, then it can't be a bad thing. I have no doubt that Pikmin 2 will be great (some of you may remember me being a bit sceptical of the random level generator and time limit) but I can't help but feel that, while it's better than the original first time around, there just won't be anything forcing us to return in two years time...
Sun 25/04/04 at 11:39
Regular
Pikmin's one of the best games on Cube, no doubt. Rickoss is right about the time limit as well, it sounds annoying but it's really a part of the game that makes the whole thing work. There'd be no urgency without it and the game would just be far too easy.
Sun 25/04/04 at 13:07
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Rickoss wrote:
> Bah, can anyone remember hwo to kill that massive beetle boss on the
> Forest of Hope? I did the level once, got 3 ship parts, then got to
> the boss and lost 60+ Pikmin because I just couldn't hurt it. The I
> restarted from that day again, got all the ship parts etc. but this
> time when I got to the boss, I brought some yellow Pikmin with, and
> they set them off for no reason and killed over 80. Should I be
> bothering with bombs or not?

You wait until it opens its large red hole thing (I'm not going to call it a mouth because it clearly isn't), and then you fling one Pikmin in the hole. Only one is needed, because that one will die. Then it should open its wings and then you run around behind it and chuck all the rest on its back. It should go down with you losing only two Pikmin.

And the birds are pretty easy as well. Just as soon as it pokes its head out of the ground, use the C-stick to run all your Pikmin over its head for that split second where it is the only thing showing, and a lot of them will grab on and take the bird down with ease.
Sun 25/04/04 at 14:53
Regular
Yeah, managed to beat them easily ocne I figured out what to do. Same with the Forest Navel boss. Up to the Distant Spring now... brilliant level.
Sun 25/04/04 at 22:03
Regular
I just managed to kill that second beetle with one attack. The bosses are very, very easy. Now I'm on the final level, on day 17. If I do it in one day, i'll beat my personal best by 2 days. Which isn't half bad.
Mon 26/04/04 at 13:37
Regular
The time limit wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I still would've prefered it without.

It sort of made me feel like I had to rush through the game, and there wasn't really much of a game to rush through.
While it was mindblowingly fantastic, it was almost more like a demo than a game, you know...

Probably the best Nintendo game on the Cube so far.
(not including second parties and Nintendo owned companies).
Mon 26/04/04 at 19:49
Regular
"You've upset me"
Meh. That's your opinion.

I can't stand it because it's boring and frustrating in equal measures plus it has a time limit, which really hisses me off.

I approached it with anticipation and an open mind, only to find it completely unfulfilling of my expectations, and completely unsuited to my tastes.

So murgh.

[S][I][By the way, I completed Mario World again today. Can't get enough of it at the moment :-D]
Mon 26/04/04 at 20:04
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I think the time limit is there so that the game isn't made far too easy. To complete the game in a certain (and fairly short) time is more of a challenge than it would be if you were just allowed to take as long as you liked to find ship pieces. Fair enough some gamers don't like being rushed, but I sense Pikmin would be rather dull without its time limits.

Pikmin 2 apparently has longer days and the worlds are meant to be much larger and more packed with enemies, though, so this could indeed turn into one of my favourite games. Judging by the consistently high scores in Japanese magazines, Pikmin 2 should be excellent. If NGC give it a score above 90% next issue, rest assured I'll be pre-ordering as quickly as possible.
Mon 26/04/04 at 20:13
Regular
"You've upset me"
AfroJoe wrote:
> I think the time limit is there so that the game isn't made far too
> easy. To complete the game in a certain (and fairly short) time is
> more of a challenge than it would be if you were just allowed to take
> as long as you liked to find ship pieces. Fair enough some gamers
> don't like being rushed, but I sense Pikmin would be rather dull
> without its time limits.

And that's exactly it. I don't like being rushed. And seeing as without the time limit Pikmin would be reduced to a 4-year olds level then that makes it a game that's not for me. So quit your whingeing, Rickross :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.