GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should our e-mails carry pictures etc (html)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/07/01 at 21:16
Regular
I would like to know this.

Do you guys prefer a quick zap of text into your inboxes or would you prefer a slower but fancier presentation complete with graphics and pictures?
Fri 20/07/01 at 12:41
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
There would need to be some explanation next to the radio buttons and there is already enough text/instruction on many of these pages.

We would want to avoid any further "barriers".
Fri 20/07/01 at 09:45
"High polygon count"
Tony wrote:
> The Gamespy page is a dedicated sign up page. We have a
> little more difficulty as we request e-mail address and post-code
> prior to entry to cheats (for example). Or as part of the ordering
> process and when signing up to Freeola. I therefore think the
> default of text with the "upgrade"path might be
> best.

You could also just add a couple of radio buttons to the pages where the sign-up is offered - under the e-mail address text-box, i.e.

O Plain text O HTML (with graphics)
Fri 20/07/01 at 09:31
Regular
My personal opinion is that text emails with a informative subject are the best when I am at home. Flashy ones are nuice but they take time to load and can look really bad if they are missing images and the like. Also some of the flashy junk mail I get is over a 100k. A few of these mails and my e-mail box would be full.

By the way Tony, what were you saying about the Internet department and a celebration?
Fri 20/07/01 at 09:18
I think that the e-mails are fine as they are, they contain all of the latest SR news and links to sites where you can find out more about the news. Still i suppose a few pics wouldn't go a miss.
Fri 20/07/01 at 09:14
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I dont mind as I pick my email up at work, so pretty much instant download times.

Personally, I like reading the plain text with hyperlinks, allows me to go to the sections I want to, as opposed to being spammed with pics and stuff.

(new hotmail is a bad thing)
Fri 20/07/01 at 01:07
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Wòókiee Møn§Ý€R wrote:
> check out the sign-up page at http://www.gamespy.com /asp/subscribe.shtm

> shouldn't hammer your bandwidth too much.

The Gamespy page is a dedicated sign up page. We have a little more difficulty as we request e-mail address and post-code prior to entry to cheats (for example). Or as part of the ordering process and when signing up to Freeola. I therefore think the default of text with the "upgrade"path might be best.

Our bandwidth issue is more complex than most. Roughly half the people receiving the e-mail are using Freeola as a dial up connection. When we sent the e-mail it goes to one master mailbox on the Freeola server, so there is no bandwidth issue in delivering it to the Freeola mailbox (it's just aliased). But as people grab it it all comes off the server, tying up the server and the bandwidth (which we have to pay for indirectly). It's certainly not easy to stagger it.

I suppose we could give the Freeola people text only and the rest the option.

The comments are interesting. There seem no doubt that we should at least be offering the option.
Thu 19/07/01 at 22:15
"High polygon count"
Tony wrote:
> Wouldn't this be confusing?

Not really - check out the sign-up page at http://www.gamespy.com /asp/subscribe.shtm

> We have to be careful about our bandwidth - we send out
> about 2 million e-mails per month.

Presumably you use mail automation software, and stagger the mailings - sending them over a period of days, rather than all at once? That, in combination with small, carefully places graphics, shouldn't hammer your bandwidth too much.

You don't need to go overboard on the graphics - something simple and well-structured will be highly effective.

Don't switch exclusively to HTML e-mail though - you should always offer a choice, because many people object to HTML e-mail, and surprising as it may seem, not all mail reader programs are capable of handling it. It is very effective, but it's not part of the e-mail standards.

>By the way - our Internet team are due a celebration.

Congratulations to all concerned! I hope this gets reflected in sales etc. to keep you going strong!
Thu 19/07/01 at 21:58
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Damn Wookie Monster already said it :/ always the same. More updated below though...

Personally I'd want html version. I don't want to waste time loading emails :/

However why not give links to screenshots of products etc.. people can follow?
Thu 19/07/01 at 21:55
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I think the best solution to this problem is to do two versions - one that is html and one that isn't. In registration details people can choose the versions they want (default is html though to save hassle from people complaining of too big emails that are slow to load). This way everyone wins. Same newsletters but some people get fancier ones.
Thu 19/07/01 at 21:54
Regular
IGN use pics, but that ofen destroys the structure of the letter. It is often easier to just read down the text lines than figure out what picture goes where, and what its line means etc...

However, the best option is as many people said below. Give users the option.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.