GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2's Pricing Policies"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/07/01 at 17:55
Regular
I seem to remember...

Last year...

When the PS2 was about to launch...

Sony had managed to start such a marketing frenzy around the PS2 that they were even talking about the machines imminent release on the national news...

Anyway…

At one point, one of the news reporters asked Sony why were we paying so much more for the PS” in the UK than pretty much everywhere else in the world...

To which, in response, Sony PR spokes-person said (and I'm paraphrasing here)

'Everybody else sells their products in the UK at over inflated prices, why should we be the first to stop?'

Now, I’ve wondered since then...

Was Sony being outrageously cheeky... So blatantly over pricing their product, that they would even mention it on national prime time TV?

Or is it actually a fair point?

We complain about over-pricing, and apart the car pricing (which is still higher than the rest of Europe); no one has really done anything about the inflated prices asked for goods in the UK...

Just Cos I Dunno?
Thu 19/07/01 at 21:10
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
YOU WILL NOT GET AN X-BOX AND THAT IS THAT!

NOW GO TO YOUR ROOM!
Thu 19/07/01 at 21:08
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I want an X-Box for all the reasons stated previously.

Heh, you'll have to dig them out, because I ain't repeating them all again until closer to release date.
Thu 19/07/01 at 21:06
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Bonus wrote:
> The Xbox contains a Pentium 3 processor, what more is needed to be
> said??

Are you saying that you want an X-box???

Please no!
Thu 19/07/01 at 21:04
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Oh, and Bonus, you said: "...people would rather believe the hype..." well, like you, I'm not that gullable to believe EVERYTHING Microsoft say. For example, some Ex-box chief said that it was as powerful as a nuclear reactor - what a load of b******t. Some magazine went and interviewed a nucleur reactor physicist (sp?) and asked them if the Ex-box statement was true...It's times like that when you know Microsoft are desperate for more gullable prey.
Thu 19/07/01 at 21:04
Regular
I'm gonna wait for the PIV to get released...
Thu 19/07/01 at 21:03
Regular
The Xbox contains a Pentium 3 processor, what more is needed to be said??
Thu 19/07/01 at 20:59
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Bonus wrote:
> What Wookie siad but without the bit about the Xbox being more
> powerful, because it's more complicated than that.

Too true Bonus...too true.

I recall posting a new topic about Microsoft lying about the Ex-box specifications. I remember saying things like: "The Ex-box actually has about 450mhz instead of its '780'-odd mhz. Yeah, the Ex-box isn't what its cracked up to be. But I won't post it again, because I can't use the 'correct' technical terms in order to send my message across properly. I'll leave that part to you Bonus, you seem to be in 'the know' when it comes down to console specs.

Go-on, post something about how good the Ex-box REALLY is. Unless you want to post something about the Ex-box being good??? I shudder at the thought...

Go-on Bonus, it'll be interesting to see what replies you get from it.
Thu 19/07/01 at 20:57
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
The price has been adjusted to £269.99.

The reason it is high is VAT and tax. There is £40 VAT alone in that - yes, that's the government's cut when you buy the thing.

It probably has import duty.

Ah - but did you know this. All those people employed by Sony, and all those employed by warehousing, distribution and retailers selling PS2's. That's a lot of people, yes?

Well they all think they pay their dues, income tax and NI, from their pay. But that's not true. Every employer in the UK has to pay an EXTRA 10% tax on top of the salaries given to their staff. It's called "Employer's NI". That's a lot of money, yes?

And the rents paid by shopkeepers, the highest in Europe and a lot higher than the USA - but that's not all. Business rates are 50% of the rent - eek. That's about £40,000 tax on an average smallish shop in the town centre. Gotta sell a lot of PS2's to make that back.

As a result you see, for every pound that people earn, the government gets more than a pound in tax!!

And you wonder why UK prices are high!
Thu 19/07/01 at 20:57
Regular
Bonus wrote:
> FantasyMeister wrote:

Just let me get my copy of 18-Wheeler and
> Head
> Hunter before the boycott starts, OK?

You buying a
> PS2 also??

No, I've already got a DC and a DVD player. Those are two of the games I'm getting for my DC before I start boycotting.
Thu 19/07/01 at 20:54
"High polygon count"
Shocktrooper wrote:
> Well said Wookie. GAD worthy it seems.

I don't know... it's just a re-hashed repeat of things I've said on here many times before; but they keep asking the same questions, so I keep giving the same answers! (No offence, Shanks!)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.