GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2's Pricing Policies"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/07/01 at 17:55
Regular
I seem to remember...

Last year...

When the PS2 was about to launch...

Sony had managed to start such a marketing frenzy around the PS2 that they were even talking about the machines imminent release on the national news...

Anyway…

At one point, one of the news reporters asked Sony why were we paying so much more for the PS” in the UK than pretty much everywhere else in the world...

To which, in response, Sony PR spokes-person said (and I'm paraphrasing here)

'Everybody else sells their products in the UK at over inflated prices, why should we be the first to stop?'

Now, I’ve wondered since then...

Was Sony being outrageously cheeky... So blatantly over pricing their product, that they would even mention it on national prime time TV?

Or is it actually a fair point?

We complain about over-pricing, and apart the car pricing (which is still higher than the rest of Europe); no one has really done anything about the inflated prices asked for goods in the UK...

Just Cos I Dunno?
Thu 19/07/01 at 17:55
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I seem to remember...

Last year...

When the PS2 was about to launch...

Sony had managed to start such a marketing frenzy around the PS2 that they were even talking about the machines imminent release on the national news...

Anyway…

At one point, one of the news reporters asked Sony why were we paying so much more for the PS” in the UK than pretty much everywhere else in the world...

To which, in response, Sony PR spokes-person said (and I'm paraphrasing here)

'Everybody else sells their products in the UK at over inflated prices, why should we be the first to stop?'

Now, I’ve wondered since then...

Was Sony being outrageously cheeky... So blatantly over pricing their product, that they would even mention it on national prime time TV?

Or is it actually a fair point?

We complain about over-pricing, and apart the car pricing (which is still higher than the rest of Europe); no one has really done anything about the inflated prices asked for goods in the UK...

Just Cos I Dunno?
Thu 19/07/01 at 18:55
Regular
"I like cheese"
Yeah, you're right, it seems as though nothing is being done.

Anyone else know anything?
Thu 19/07/01 at 19:23
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
dvds are a rip off here but £300 for a console is a rip off. In spring 2002 with the launch of the GC you could get a GC and decent dvd player for that, and the gc is better
Thu 19/07/01 at 19:26
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
sorry bout extra rip off

got over exited with dissing playstaion

and pricing
Thu 19/07/01 at 19:33
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Does anyone think Sony were right in their pricing policy?
Thu 19/07/01 at 20:35
"High polygon count"
Armitage Shanks wrote:
> Does anyone think Sony were right in their pricing policy?

Let's see...

High-spec 128-bit PlayStation 2 console...
PSone console...
CD player...
DVD player with DTS surround and digital optical output...
In one package...
Price £299...
And Sony still making a loss on every machine sold...

In my book, that qualifies as a bargain!

Seriously though, I know PS2 wasn't/isn't cheap, but I don't see how anyone can complain for what you get. This is not a mindless defence of Sony, it's genuinely how I feel.

Okay, so not everyone needs it to play CD's, DVD's or even PS1 games - but the functionality is there. The PS1 did far less, and cost the same when it was launched. In real terms, a PS2 is cheaper than PS1 - not only in hardware price, but software too. When PS1 was launched, paractically every game was £44.99 - most games on PS2, including the massive GT3, are priced at £39.99 - which, I might add (and this is not a dig at Nintendo), is cheaper than many N64 games!

Anyway, those 'extra' items...

PS1 emulation was a very clever move by Sony, guaranteeing not only a large number of 'loyal' customers, but also large increase in PlayStation brand ownership as PS1 machines were traded in and sold on cheaply on the 2nd-hand market.

DVD capabillty... if Sony hadn't included DVD-video capability they'd have been slaughtered for that, too. If you bought a DVD-ROM drive for your PC and it didn't play DVD films, you'd be slightly miffed, would you not?

CD capability... well, as a DVD drive can play CD's, you'd expect that functionality also. Notm uch more to say on that one.

No-one's belly-aching about the Xbox price, which is about the same and the machine won't play DVD's 'out of the box'. Okay, it might be a more powerful machine, but it *is* almost 18 months since PS2's original launch in Japan - obviously progress has been made. PS3 will be more powerful still, then Nintendo's next machine will be better, then Microsofts, then PS4, and so on.

Having said that, the GeForce 3 card *alone* will cost you £399 RRP and it's useless without a high-spec PC to plug it into! Why no complaints about that? I have one in my PC, and I've yet to see anything looking remotely as sexy as GT3. There was nothing to touch PS2 at its launch, and I'm not convinced it's dropped far behind now.

So over all, yes - I think the PS2 pricing is just fine.

£299 is, though, the maximum price I think any new console can be launched at, for just the basic 'console and controller' package. Any higher and sales will probably be reduced significantly.
Thu 19/07/01 at 20:38
Regular
What Wookie siad but without the bit about the Xbox being more powerful, because it's more complicated than that.
Thu 19/07/01 at 20:45
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Well said Wookie. GAD worthy it seems. And yes, I totally agree with you.

What pleases me even more, is that just before the GC and Ex-box are released, the PS2 will drop its price dramatically in competition with its rivals. You never know, £200 might just be a possibility.

Fingers crossed.
Thu 19/07/01 at 20:45
"High polygon count"
Bonus wrote:
> What Wookie siad but without the bit about the Xbox being more
> powerful, because it's more complicated than that.

It is indeed. I was going to mention architectures, custom chips, and how my 8MHz Amiga 500 was better than the 50-66MHz PC's of the time, but I couldn't be bothered! :-)
Thu 19/07/01 at 20:46
Regular
It's far too dificult to explain to people about here, they would rather believe the hype.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.