GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'll shoot U wiv my gun"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/07/01 at 09:42
Regular
"Oh my God, he's pointing that gun at us, quick: Fire!"

Six bullets later a man lays dead.

"Aw damn, it was just a lighter."

Later that day protesters gather.

"We cannot accept this kind of policing!"

The question is, from looking at it, how could a police officer have known that it was a replica gun, merely a lighter?

I wasn't there, I don't know exactly what happened, but I doubt the police simply shot this guy for having a replica gun in his pocket.

Maybe he thought "Dur, I know, I'll point my lighter that looks like a gun at them, and they'll be scared. They'll feel so stupid when it's only a lighter!" Obviously this wasn't a good idea!

Maybe a police officer got an itchy trigger finger, and shot before giving sufficient warning.

I don't know exactly what happened, but it's quite apparent that it would NOT have happened if such things as replica guns could not be bought.

What exactly is the point in a replica gun? "Hey looky what I got! It looks like a gun! Man am I cool. I'm so bad, ha ha!"

Countells people have been held up with replica guns, the thought of being shot isn't a nice one, and the majority of people wouldn't know the difference between a replica an real one. I can't see the point in such an item existing - surely it's only purpose ids as a threat?

Back to the original point. The polie see a man, and they think he has a gun. What if it was real? What if they hesitated when he pointed it at them, and he killed one of them?

Surely then there would be outrage. this dead officer would be called a 'hero' in The Sun, and the police would be criticised for their hesitation that cost them the life of a fine officer.

Again, I don't know what happened, but if this guy pointed a replica gun at a police officer, then he deserved to be shot.
Wed 25/07/01 at 09:47
Regular
"not dead"
Ah Loki, that was hilarious!
Tue 24/07/01 at 13:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Made me laugh dude.
Tue 24/07/01 at 13:34
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
That was inappropriate.

I'm sorry, I meant no disrespect.
Tue 24/07/01 at 13:33
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Don't move or I'll singe your ears!
Tue 24/07/01 at 13:31
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Andrew Hunt wrote:
> Your only saying that because you don't drive. But I do agree on the
> gunb issue that if you do not want to get shot then don't carry a
> replica lighter that has a remarkable resemblance to a gun. Why not
> just use a clipper, it's smaller, lighter and unmistakably a
> lighter.

Are you saying that he should have taken his hostage using a clipper?
Mon 23/07/01 at 17:11
Regular
Your only saying that because you don't drive. But I do agree on the gunb issue that if you do not want to get shot then don't carry a replica lighter that has a remarkable resemblance to a gun. Why not just use a clipper, it's smaller, lighter and unmistakably a lighter.
Mon 23/07/01 at 11:28
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I commend the police on both actions, it's only the red-tops trying to shift a few papers and cause a 'national outcry'. It's the same with the speed camera thing, if you don't want to get caught speeding, don't break the law, you idiot. They only make money because you speed, you frickin morons.
Sun 22/07/01 at 15:16
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Well Wookie as I said I did not know the facts and with them I see from the police emm peoples point of view etc.

Grix of course has made a fair point!
Sat 21/07/01 at 16:18
Regular
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:

"He also, aparently, had a history of mental problems."

Sorry to butt in here, but how the hell did the policeman know that from looking at him?
Fri 20/07/01 at 11:17
"High polygon count"
SHEEPY wrote:
> Also so the man was stupid but I don't know the
> facts myself... maybe he pointing it at his mate as a joke... as
> children do.

He took a hostage - the person was not a friend, but a complete stranger, and he had the gun to his head.

> Did they give this man any warning to drop it? Why
> did they fire 6 bullets at him... why not shoot him the arm or
> leg.

He was only hit four times - once in the shoulder, and three times in the back. He is reported to have been "moving in an erratic manor".

He also, aparently, had a history of mental problems.

> Someome made a mistake... you can't just fire a gun that
> will kill someone for no reason...

I'd say holding a gun to the head of a hostage was reason enough. The may have only been a lighter, but the police have no way of knowing that. Unless you drop it, they will - quite rightly, in my opinion - shoot you before you can shoot anyone else.

The lighter was also one of those 'blowtorch' style lighters - not just a flame, but a jet of fire. Even that could have done serious harm to the hostage's head if lit.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.