GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playstation 2, its all in the name"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/07/01 at 19:54
Regular
So we all know the next names for the Playstation consoles, Playstation 3, 4, 5, and 6 (.com's of them have all been taken by Sony, after someone got ps2.com... lucky)

So what do these numbers mean? Is it Sony beginning original? Couldn't be bothered to make a name up? Or does it have a real meaning?

The Playstation 2 has, the same controller as the Playstation, the same logo, (the PS thing), many games from the Playstation (sequels). So does the name have a meaning?... YES!

The Playstation 2 is a sequel console. It is a upgrade of the Playstation; it has games like Tekken, Grand Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, and more. So has the upgrade worked? Yes, it has worked, but if it wasn't backwards compatible it wouldn't be able to (in the words of er-no) ride the success of the Playstation so they can get though these bad times. A good example of this Syphon Filter 3 is coming out on the Playstation 1 not 2, and why is this? I leave it to you. I have a friend who has a Playstation 2, the game he plays the most is Smackdown 2.

Have you ever closed your eyes whilst playing the Playstation 2? The games feel like there the same, no real new experience there, shame really cause the games could be a lot better. I mean, Time Splitters is a good game and all, but it just doesn't feel new. When I first saw Goldeneye, I couldn't believe my eyes. 3-D graphics like I have never seen before. James Bond walking that famous walk, Facility was truly life like. This was a new experience I have never felt like that ever, until Zelda (I won’t go on)

Te name has been done before. Sega did it. Instead of doing a Nintendo and bringing an expansion pak out, they brought a upgraded console out. The Megadrive 2. Any similarities in the name?

I am not dissing the PS2, the games I have played, and the games coming out which I have seen on the game network (and read about in ukgames.com) look promising, but at the moment. It’s just a upgrade. I wanted a new console, like the Gamecube or X-Box. So Sony needs to make the Playstation 3 much more than just a upgrade. Because the Playstation 2 isn't a big enough jump (at the moment) to call it a next generation console.

FrEaK Of ThE DaRk.
Wed 18/07/01 at 22:20
Regular
Actually i have!
Wed 18/07/01 at 21:08
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Dringo wrote:
> The Gamecube will be new, feel new and play new.

How do you know? Have you played one?
Wed 18/07/01 at 20:43
Regular
"I like cheese"
I am the Tarrant wrote:
> Thinking about it, I'm surprised any of us dignified "The PS2
> is just the same as the PS1" with a response.

Damn right. I'd dignify it with a rather large and smelly dump.

SIR DUMPSALOT RETURNS!! HAHAHA!!
Wed 18/07/01 at 20:25
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
[/EA Sports] P-S-2, it's in the name! [/EA Sports]
Wed 18/07/01 at 20:00
Collis wrote:
> What is wrong with you i havea PS2 and if it wasn't like the Ps i
> wouldn't of got it. Simon is right it is just a slightly enhanced
> PS1 thank god!

You all don't know what you are talking about.

Er-maybe collis. I thinkyou do have a good understanding.... blah blah blah.

I think people have got the wrong end of the stick here. I was just saying Sony must have a lot up there sleve if there to pull this one off as well as the PSX. I hope sony realise this and make sure that the games which are coming out on it, are not simple upgrades of past games (Ominshue i think thats it, red fraction, State of emerancy etc.)
Wed 18/07/01 at 18:15
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Ahem! The PS2 IS a big enough jump actually, I mean, you've never seen a console triple it's predecessor's power before have you? NO! Ok, ok, so Sony weren't exactly going to double the PS - that would be suicidal. 128-bit is triple the Playstation's power - now that's a big enough 'jump' yes?

Ah - bum, SNES to N64. Darn it I thought I was getting somewhere...
Wed 18/07/01 at 17:47
What is wrong with you i havea PS2 and if it wasn't like the Ps i wouldn't of got it. Simon is right it is just a slightly enhanced PS1 thank god!

You all don't know what you are talking about.
Wed 18/07/01 at 17:11
Regular
Tarrant, do you ever leave these forums?

You're in danger of getting on the top posters list!

:-)
Wed 18/07/01 at 17:09
Dringo wrote:
The PS2 is indeed new but as Freak of the Dark
> points out not new enough!

not new enough for what?
Wed 18/07/01 at 15:12
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Does anyone have any more information about the Ubberbox?

:P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.