GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSP unveiled"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/05/04 at 19:54
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Holy crap! I'm so getting me one of these. Doesn't look to dissimilar to the prototype revealed last year, except that it's black, has a proper D-pad and some volume facia buttons. In short, it looks awesome.

The pics I've got from a press site show it with Gran Turismo 4 - not the PS2 version, the PSP version. How the hell did they keep that under wraps?

Sony execs, listen up - as long as you don't charge over £250 for this thing, you're going to make more money than Jesus by selling this sweet baby. Just get it out before summer next year and you'll be laughing. Laughing I tells ya! Compare it to the (let's face it) really dull mock-up of the Nintendo DS (found on Eurogamer.net) and it jizzes right it in its coffee.

[URL]http://www.alistairgray.co.uk/psp1.jpg[/URL]
[URL]http://www.alistairgray.co.uk/psp2.jpg[/URL]
[URL]http://www.alistairgray.co.uk/psp3.jpg[/URL]
[URL]http://www.alistairgray.co.uk/psp4.jpg[/URL]
[URL]http://www.alistairgray.co.uk/psp5.jpg[/URL]
Wed 12/05/04 at 11:40
Regular
Darwock wrote:
> http://media.psp.ign.com/articles/513/513432/vids_1.html

*dies*
Wed 12/05/04 at 11:50
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
End of the year, hopefully Sony won't do what Nintendo have done and shaft Europe with a mid 2005 release. It's got to be a case of pre-ordering anyway, demand will surely exceed supply.
Wed 12/05/04 at 11:52
Regular
Yeah, they'll want to get a head start, like the PS2.

As long as they don't rush it and drop some of the features :D
Wed 12/05/04 at 13:00
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Overall, I'm not particularly that impressed with the PSP so far.
Sure, it looks a swanky little system with a nice looking screen and some powerful potential, especially in the graphical department, but what about the games? And where's the innovation?

From some of the games shown off/announced at E3, it's not a particularly amazing line-up of what's to come;
Gran Turismo has been done to death, Frogger (how old and dull is the Frogger franchise again?), Ape Escape, Medievel, Twisted Metal, Wipeout and Syphon Filter are all old hat, another Spider-Man game, another Ridge Racer title, another Tony Hawks title, another Bust A Move title, Dynasty Warriors, Armoured Core, Darkstalkers and Breath of Fire aren't groundbreakly new either.
Metal Gear: Acid (crap name), whilst interesting, will no doubt be more of the same again.

They're mostly games you could just play on the PSOne or PS2 instead.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll sell well and be a great system, but from a software point of view it just looks like a case of "same old, same old". Unlike the DS...
Wed 12/05/04 at 13:24
"I love yo... lamp."
Cyclone wrote:
> Right. PSP looks to be an extremely good little machine. It looks
> good, it seems it can handle pretty tasty stuff (well, as much as GT4
> can be described as tasty... yack) and it'll sell unbelievably well
> because of the image and brand. But, unless I can be proven wrong, I
> feel it's a mini PS2.

As home consoles go I don't really like the PS2. It has little to appeal to me, either its games are all multi format or their exclusives are bettered on another system. The only really good PS2 games in my opinion are the Gran Turismo games. But whilst if I buy a multi format game just now it would almost certainly go on the Xbox, if I could get a version that was as good looking as the PS2 version but fitted in my pocket, then that would appeal.

> I.e, the same lack of great games, bar a few
> truly excellent titles, which aren't exactly mind blowing when
> compared to the best of GC and Xbox, except maybe a FF game.

Kind of what I said already. The thing is though, will the DS be any different? Unless it gets ports of the top N64 titles then I have no interest in it. I don't want more SNES games. Well not the ones Nintendo give us. If the PSP can realise most of this generations games on the PS2, but in a handheld, then they become better games.

Take a game like SWAT. A slightly above average FPS on the Xbox that came out around the same time as RS3. It was just overshadowed by RS3 being great. But if SWAT was on a handheld then it would be better than all the rest of the competition, because it has lots of advantages over all other hand held games. What I'm trying to say, and seemingly failing as I read back over what I have written, is that a game is judged good or bad by the competition it faces. PS2 games are often lacklustre in comparison to say Xbox games, but PS2 games are quite astounding in comparison to GBA games.

> The DS, while being uglier, is powerful and looks should mean
> nothing
. Plus, the 16 player wireless world thing looks cool. But > that's my view, and I've said it many a time. Both machines look
> brilliant, the PSP will probably 'win', but the DS looks inventive and > pretty damn clever.

You are right in that the consoles should be judged by their power and games, not their looks. But people do, which is why the SP sold so many. What was wrong with the GBAs people had? The wireless thing has promise, but this being Nintendo I expect them to screw it up. Besides, it didn't work wonders for the N-Gage now did it?

The DS is different. But it needs to attract an older market or else it just takes sales from the GBA. Sony are going after the older teens and adults market primarily. Nintendo primarily go after kids (the pervs). So they really have to get their finger out and do something worthwhile with that extra screen.
Wed 12/05/04 at 13:27
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Bejam wrote:
> Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll sell well and be a great system,
> but from a software point of view it just looks like a case of
> "same old, same old". Unlike the DS...

Yes unlike the DS, where currently everyone is drooling over Mario Kart, Mario 64, Metroid, Animal Crossing... I'm sort of failing to see your point here.
Wed 12/05/04 at 13:35
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Darwock wrote:
> Bejam wrote:
> Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll sell well and be a great system,
> but from a software point of view it just looks like a case of
> "same old, same old". Unlike the DS...
>
> Yes unlike the DS, where currently everyone is drooling over Mario
> Kart, Mario 64, Metroid, Animal Crossing... I'm sort of failing to
> see your point here.

The way you play the DS will be different to anything seen before (if developers get it right). So, although they are yet more Mario, Mario Kart and Metroid games as you say, they will play differently because of the innovative hardware, and they look as if they'll be fresher as a result. You won't just be playing simple conversions with a d-pad the way you will on the PSP or like you do with SNES conversions on the GBA, there will be new and interesting ways of playing the games, interacting with the touch screens, speaking into the system with voice recognition etc.

The whole touch-screen idea of the DS could just be really gimmicky, but for me, it makes the DS seem a heck of a lot more interesting that the PSP with it's lack of fresh ideas and gaming (though I'm sure I'll still buy both anyway).
Wed 12/05/04 at 13:41
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I like the look of it.

Good news all round then as both the PSP and DS look like they could have a whole range of good games released for them.

New MGS game has been announced for the PSP and more of the big developers look to be planning new titles for it too.

PES on the train to uni could be something to look forward too :-)

Personally I'm not really sure that the DS is going to be that different, the touch screen aspect on such a small screen just seems pointless to me. Guess I'll just need to see it in action to see how well it works.

If they get the hardware prices and game prices right though this could be onto a winner.
Wed 12/05/04 at 13:47
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I think overall, it'll just be really interesting to see what happens with these two systems.
They're two totally different consoles, with Sony delivering a powerful system with loads of fan favourites like GT, PES, MGS etc, and Nintendo trying to do something really innovative with their franchises in a new and different way.

Will the public embrace both systems is the question?
Wed 12/05/04 at 14:00
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Nintendo have to ask themselves something else... will the public be happy having shelled out for the GBA, only to have it superceded shortly after by the SP, and now being asked to upgrade again to something that will play the same games, just to take advantage of whichever games have the new gimmick incorporated. All of this while also being aware that Nintendo are working on ANOTHER gameboy??? It's madness.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.