GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony/Nintendo union"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/05/04 at 02:08
Regular
"Time Up"
Just imagine, what if Sony and Nintendo united with each other ? This would be the coolest thing ever ! First of all we'd have the best console ever from every prespective, and we wouldn't have to worry about exclusive games, we would be playing The Legend Of Zelda, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear And Gran Turismo games on the same console! And there might be some of the best hybrid games ever like a "Link" Final Fantasy or a"Jak+Mario" action platformer. There would be also some of the best multiplayer games ever. More companies would support both companies. They would expand, and there would be a major amount of publicity.Microsoft would be more likely to give up the video games industry, and if there was a back compatibility, people would know what they were missing. Better production teams will be established, making use of the experience of both companies.The funds will increase providing a better chance for creating better games. Third oarty comapanies wouldn't have to worry about games that don't sell, like what happens to some gamecube games (remember the timesplitters 2 sales on the gamecube?). And also, if they succeed together, The Video games industry will expand in a small amount of time, and probably will become one of the most profitable industries in the world, and if they really really succeed and the sales would really hit the top, they would have enough funds to actually create a special cable network similar to the internet dedicated for gaming that would have much less cost than broadband, and giving the chance for the greatest number of gamers to play with each other all over the world, and playing muliplayer games would become a great challange (Hey, CNN originally started as a pure cable network) and if we even dream further more we could imagine a ceremony that would be held every year where every console owner in the world would be playing the same game at the same round at the same time all together, it could be a war game where there would be different squads : Marines, pilots, Divers, people who drive tanks, etc.., they could make it an actually realistic world war game where every soldier is controlled by a player!
But actually we live in the real world, and these are just dreams that will never come true, because those greedy developers only care about collecting money for themselves, and they wouldn't share it.
Sun 16/05/04 at 16:12
Regular
To be honest, though, gamerankings.com is a load of old rubbish anyway.
Sun 16/05/04 at 13:30
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Mav wrote:
> So what's your point?

My point is:

The statement "the average quality of a PS2 title isn't that high" is erroneous, and that if anyone want to spend a few weeks gathering data for me to prove the theory that the quality of PS2 titles is improving at a higher rate than XBox or Gamecube over time I'd be happy to do the number crunching.
Sun 16/05/04 at 00:08
Regular
So what's your point?

Statistics like these prove nothing?
Sat 15/05/04 at 23:57
Regular
P.S. If anyone's interested in how the 1.5% figure is derived I applied the chi-squared statistic to the available data/expectations.
Sat 15/05/04 at 23:50
Regular
Mav wrote:
> You didn't actually give us the average PS2 score, though.

That's mainly because I cba to add up individual scores of 1117 PS2 titles and work out an average. However if you look at the spread of the top 200 and the bottom 200 scores for each console the PS2 appears to be about 1.5% higher scoring on all points than the other two consoles. Just a bit of basic extrapolation would indicate that the average of all titles would have the same distancing.

I'd also love to do a Quality over Time graph but unfortunatly release date information for over 1117 PS2, 706 XBox and 450 Gamecube games has to be researched on an individual basis.

Following from that I could do genre breakdowns to prove conclusively the theory that the XBox is best for the FPS/Sports genre, ELSPA rating breakdowns to prove conclusively the theory that the Gamecube is a kiddy console and, I dunno, sales per title? for the PS2 to prove conclusively that it still sells more software than both of the others put together, but then some brightspark would say "What about DVD/Movies?" and I'd have to go on a murderous rampage.
Sat 15/05/04 at 23:30
Regular
You didn't actually give us the average PS2 score, though.
Sat 15/05/04 at 20:44
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
Icarust wrote:
> Oh deary me
Sat 15/05/04 at 17:21
Regular
You'll note with some glee that I missed out the fact that the PS2 has 47 titles that score less than 50% compared to the 31 and 24 titles of XBox and Gamecube respectively, but hey, that's the joys of statistics and this is, afterall, a PS2 forum :P
Sat 15/05/04 at 17:16
Regular
Oh deary me
Sat 15/05/04 at 17:08
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> If you're really bored, trying doing all your stats with Ninty vs.
> Sony - that would be more interesting, I think.

Average Main Score of the Top 100 PS2 Games: 86.431%
Average Main Score of the Top 100 XBox Games: 84.617%
Average Main Score of the Top 100 GC Games: 83.213%

No. of PS2/XBox/GC Games scoring 95% or better: 3/1/2
No. of PS2/XBox/GC Games scoring 90% or better: 29/15/16
No. of PS2/XBox/GC Games scoring 85% or better: 83/62/44
No. of PS2/XBox/GC Games scoring 80% or better: 180/121/78

Lowest ever recorded score for an XBox Game: 21.3%
Lowest ever recorded score for a PS2 Game: 31.5%
Lowest ever recorded score for a GC Game: 24%

No. of PS2 games scoring less than 40%: 11
No. of XBox games scoring less than 40%: 15
No. of GC games scoring less than 40%: 7

Therefore the results* are as follows:

PS2 > Xbox
PS2 > Gamecube
Xbox = Gamecube

It's an indisputable fact that whenever someone says that "the average quality of a PS2 title isn't that high" they are:

a) Buying all the wrong games
b) Accepting presents from their granny who has a 3DO fetish
c) Deluding themselves because they've bought the wrong console
d) Always playing Halo and nothing else, ever
e) Still playing on a Gamecube and < 11 years old
g) Simply repeating what they've heard other dumbasses spout without checking to see if what they're repeating has any foundation

The PS2 currently has 763 PAL titles available for it in the UK, 24% of which consistently score over 80% in trade press reviews. No other console gets anywhere near 180 titles scoring that highly in recent history except, yup, you guessed it...

The PlayStation, with 157 titles that scored 80% or better.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.