GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"RPG Battle. What is the best Final Fantasy or Zelda."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/07/01 at 19:28
Regular
When it comes to role playing games they don't get much bigger than Final Fantasy or Zelda, except for Pokemon but I have decided not to compare that. While Final Fantasy rules the Playstion world with it's long puzzling adventures that are spread over several disk, the Zelda series is busy dominating the Nintendo world. Final Fantasy uses things like random battles that you can't actually see coming, but if you win one you are rewarded with experience points to try and build up you characters level. Zelda on the other hand has a singel character called Link that doesn't level up he just gets more energy hearts, also link can see all of the enemys he has to fight and can use this to his advantage and choose to avoid most of them. As you will probably know in Final Fantasy you control a team of three characters where as in the Zelda series the only character you control is Link.

Both the Final Fantasy and Zelda games proved to be very popular with the fans of their respective consoles but my question to you is who is the true role playing game masters.
Would you choose Final Fantasy over Zelda?
Would you choose Cloud and the gang over Link?
Would you choose Square over Nintendo?

Remeber there is no need for argument just simply state your opinion. Well ok then if you want to argue who am I to stop you, I'm just a stick. Let the argument begin.
Tue 17/07/01 at 12:07
Hooplah wrote:
but in answer to your postulate,
> Final Fantasy is the better RPG simply because it is an RPG, well
> about as close as you can get so far on a console. (Role on Baldurs
> Gate for the PS2)

I thought this was about the preferred battle system out of Zelda and FF?
Tue 17/07/01 at 10:08
Unfortunatly Hooplha I haven't been lucky enough to play Baldurs Gate or any of the Ultima games but I am into RPG games so i'm sure that I would enjoy them. : )
Tue 17/07/01 at 10:02
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
It's a real borderline case methinks, if you have to be real cold blooded about it then Zelda hasn't got quite what it takes to be an RPG. It's a sort of RPG/3D adventure blend that encapsulates some of the better qualities of both genre worlds.

I do prefer Zelda titles to the FF titles myself, finding te FF series to be slow moving and boring (personal opinion).

It's just where you draw the proverbial line I suppose. If you have played PC RPG's such as Baldurs Gate or any of the Ultima series then you'll know where I'm coming from.
Tue 17/07/01 at 09:52
Hooplah wrote:

Those are more
> along the lines of powerups than character progression. Most of this
> is linked (no pun intented) with Links progression through the game
> and have little to do with actual character advancement.

Zelda is
> a good game in it's own right, but in answer to your postulate,
> Final Fantasy is the better RPG simply because it is an RPG, well
> about as close as you can get so far on a console. (Role on Baldurs
> Gate for the PS2)

I see what your saying but it still doesn't convince me that Zelda isn't and can't be classed as a RPG game.
: )
Tue 17/07/01 at 09:46
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
In the Zelda games you can exchange links name for your own meaking it as if you are link, ie you take on his role. Also link can grow stronger by collecting different swords and his health meter can increase by collecting extra pieces of heart.

Those are more along the lines of powerups than character progression. Most of this is linked (no pun intented) with Links progression through the game and have little to do with actual character advancement.

Zelda is a good game in it's own right, but in answer to your postulate, Final Fantasy is the better RPG simply because it is an RPG, well about as close as you can get so far on a console. (Role on Baldurs Gate for the PS2)
Tue 17/07/01 at 09:34
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> "Of course Zelda is an RPG as you take on the role of
> link."

So Banjo Kazooie is also an RPG because you take on
> the role of Banjo.

Goldeneye is an RPG because you take on the
> role of James Bond.

Street Figther is an RPG because you can take
> on the role of Ryu....

Zelda isn't a true RPG, though it does
> have many RPG elements.

Link cannot build up his experience, and
> grow stronger in the same way as characters in an RPG can.

In the Zelda games you can exchange links name for your own meaking it as if you are link, ie you take on his role. Also link can grow stronger by collecting different swords and his health meter can increase by collecting extra pieces of heart.
Tue 17/07/01 at 09:28
Regular
"not dead"
"Of course Zelda is an RPG as you take on the role of link."

So Banjo Kazooie is also an RPG because you take on the role of Banjo.

Goldeneye is an RPG because you take on the role of James Bond.

Street Figther is an RPG because you can take on the role of Ryu....

Zelda isn't a true RPG, though it does have many RPG elements.

Link cannot build up his experience, and grow stronger in the same way as characters in an RPG can.
Tue 17/07/01 at 09:24
Dringo wrote:
> Zelda definatly but one thing!

Zeldfa isn't an RPG it is an
> adventure game!

Of course zelda is and RPG game cos you take on the role of Link. You know link the small dude with blonde hair and green suit.
Mon 16/07/01 at 23:40
Regular
Trigger happy by steven poole inspired me to write interactive stories.
Mon 16/07/01 at 23:03
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
For those of you who read edge, take a look at this month's Trigger Happy by Steven Poole.

What he says about turn based games is that they were originally created when computers were not powereful enough to do proper gaming... and hence took the form or a boardgame style turns idea. For that to persist to this day is stupid.

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.