GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I need the best FPS for PC!! all opinons needed..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/05/04 at 16:31
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Ive been looking through the reviews but they all seem quite mixed and I am desperate to make sure that I spend my £30 price budget wisely.
Call of duty looks amazing however I was surprised to see it drop out of the best selling charts and that has worried me a little.

Farcry looks amazing graphics wise but is the gameplay and lastability any good? there are a few dodgy reviews commenting on the bad online multiplayer and dodgy A.I in offline play.

I was also thinking about getting Allied assualt with its expansion pack included however a few people have advised me to stay well clear of this due to dodgy gameplay elements.

What is the best first person shooter on PC at the moment? It dosnt nessecarily have to be any of the games I have just mentioned.
the characteristics I am interested in our:
game length
graphics
gameplay
online playability
and if it has a decent story then thats always a bonus...
Mon 24/05/04 at 12:20
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Pringle28 wrote:
> what about HALO? or any of these new titles like painkiller?
>
> HALO is supposed to have good mulitplayer...

Halo is all right, not as good as many would have you believe though. Without the vehicular based bits it’d just be another average shoot em up and it has some of the worst interior levels I’ve every come across in a game, long, boring and repetitive. The outdoor bits make up for this.

Painkiller is good as well, but it’s a very repetitive game. It’s got more in common with Doom and Quake, it does away with trying to push the genre forward and is more of a nostalgic trip back to the good old days of FPS. Very fun, but it can get very repetitive, It’s worth a look I’d say, but I wouldn’t put it ahead of games like Far Cry.

And Operation Flashpoint is fantastic, more of a tactical shooter than a straightforward FPS, it forces you think but it’s a brilliant game all the same, and what variety. One mission you’re a simple infantry soldier, the next a commando, then a tank commander and then a pilot. Nice big maps, lots of weapons and some nicely unpredictable missions.

As far the CoD expansion goes, I’ve seen a September release date though can’t be sure exactly. I have seen the expansion priced at nearly £30 that I hope is a mistake because I’m not paying that much for a stand-alone add-on, no matter how good it is. Funnily enough, Medal of Honour Pacific Assault is out around the same time, and actually looks all right. Hope it improves on allied assault disastrous expansions.
Mon 24/05/04 at 09:40
Regular
Well, Counter-Strike is the most played online FPS but if your looking for the best graphics then don't get this as the graphics are really out of date. Apart from that it rules in every way :D
Sun 23/05/04 at 21:04
Regular
": ("
I would get Farcry if I were you, but Farcry requires a very POWERFUL PC fit for games. Whereas Call Of Duty and Halo 2 can handle most up-to-date PCs. Its your decision, but if you know you haven't got a POWERFUL PC i would go fro Halo or Call of Duty, Halo must be great online!
Sun 23/05/04 at 19:35
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
gerrid wrote:
> Far Cry is the newest one, and it looks better than Halo to me.
>
> Other than that, Call of Duty, Project IGI (it's a bit old, but still
> good), but the game that I suggest you buy is Operation Flashpoint
> GOTY Edition
, as it is easily the best game on the PC. And it's
> shooty, but not really a traditional formula FPS.
>
> I'm tempted to get Far Cry at some point during the summer.

Cheers gerrid. can you buy Operation Flashpoint GOTY Edition from SR?
Sun 23/05/04 at 18:50
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Far Cry is the newest one, and it looks better than Halo to me.

Other than that, Call of Duty, Project IGI (it's a bit old, but still good), but the game that I suggest you buy is Operation Flashpoint GOTY Edition, as it is easily the best game on the PC. And it's shooty, but not really a traditional formula FPS.

I'm tempted to get Far Cry at some point during the summer.
Sun 23/05/04 at 18:26
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
what about HALO? or any of these new titles like painkiller?

HALO is supposed to have good mulitplayer...
Sun 23/05/04 at 18:22
Regular
Though it is much preferred to have an opinion from someone who has played it of course...
Sun 23/05/04 at 18:12
Regular
Online isn't so brilliant though i've heard..
Sun 23/05/04 at 17:43
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Far Cry, Far Cry, Far Cry, Far Cry, Far Cry, Far Cry.
There.
Sun 23/05/04 at 17:42
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
cipro wrote:
> FAR CRY
>
> Excellent game, amazing graphics, some dull interior bits but the
> rest is pure adrenalin fuelled Rambo style carnage, and some very
> nice tropical environments to fight through. And vehicles too.

Hmm.. can't wait til Monday! :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.