GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The meaning of life"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/07/01 at 00:50
Regular
Does anyone know the meaning of life?
I'm sat here at ten to one, pretty bored. My brain needs stimulation. Anyone?
Thu 12/07/01 at 16:46
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
Or we could all actually be microscopic lifeforms on another planet, and our universe is really just a test tube, but we're so small we'l never find out!
Thu 12/07/01 at 16:43
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Darkness_2K wrote:

GOD is more SCIENTIFICALLY possible
> than the Big Bang!

Just think about that statement for a second.

I'll wait
Thu 12/07/01 at 16:43
"possibly impossible"
I agree, I was highlighting the point that there are (at least) two schools of thought on the idea, and a looping universe gets around the fact that the scientists would then have to find out where the big bang came from, without refering to God. Difficult.

My personal belief is that God created the universe as a Sims type of game, but got a bit carried away.

Note: Humour.

But I do believe that God created the universe, although I can't explain it.
Thu 12/07/01 at 16:39
Regular
Yeah. Nothing exists at all... and then... BANG! God appears. ;0)
Thu 12/07/01 at 16:29
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
pb wrote:
> That's where religion comes in.

The big bang was just another
> implosion in a universe that had seen a lot of other events. But
> before that there is nothing to explain events, bar 2 things:

> God (or gods, depending on your belief) created elements or actually
> 'forced' the big bang to happen, thus creating the galaxy we know
> and love.)

2. Time is looped, meaning that the end of the galaxy
> merely causes it's own creation. This is a better description for
> all those that refuse to believe in a deity, but ultimately,
> everything has to start somewhere.

SCIENTISTS know nothing!

The big ang is unexplainable.

Tell me how, theres no time, no space, NOTHING EXISTS, then all of a sudden theres loads of particles to react with each other and explode! How?

GOD is more SCIENTIFICALLY possible than the Big Bang!
Thu 12/07/01 at 15:49
Regular
Damn... I was going to change my name to 'Ford Prefect' to post on here, but someone has already got the name.

Some obvious bad research there.
Thu 12/07/01 at 14:35
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Lunchbox wrote:
> That is saying (it's fiction, i know...) that dolphins (or whatever)
> actually *are* more intelligent than man, but man just doesn't
> realise it. What i was saying is that 'intelligence' is not
> percieved correctly. Monkeys may not 'know' as much as humans, but i
> think that is why they are better off. You don't have to be complex
> to be intelligent.

No, its saying that whilst humans think they are intelligent because of all the wars and stuff that he had created...

Where as Dophins think they are more intelligent precisly because they didnt

Wheras you said monkeys are intelligent because they dont do anything stressful or start wars or anything...

And humans they are because they do...

Same thing... see :)
Thu 12/07/01 at 14:16
That is saying (it's fiction, i know...) that dolphins (or whatever) actually *are* more intelligent than man, but man just doesn't realise it. What i was saying is that 'intelligence' is not percieved correctly. Monkeys may not 'know' as much as humans, but i think that is why they are better off. You don't have to be complex to be intelligent.
Thu 12/07/01 at 14:12
Hmmm... i applaud your efforts, but it's not really what i meant...
Thu 12/07/01 at 13:54
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Lunchbox wrote:
> >Isnt that excatly the same as Douglas Adams dolphin gag
> >from, 'So long and Thanks for all the Fish'?

I dunno. I've
> never read it. Is it...?

mmm... It may have been in Hitch Hicker guide...

Here you go... (Chapter 24 in entireity) :)

"It is an important and popular fact that things are not always what they seem. For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons.

Curiously enough, the dolphins had long known of the impending destruction of the planet Earth and had made many attempts to alert mankind of the danger; but most of their communications were misinterpreted as amusing attempts to punch footballs or whistle for tidbits, so they eventually gave up and left the Earth by their own means shortly before the Vogons arrived.

The last ever dolphin message was misinterpreted as a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double-backwards- somersault through a hoop whilst whistling the "Star Sprangled Banner", but in fact the message was this: So long and thanks for all the fish.

In fact there was only one species on the planet more intelligent than dolphins, and they spent a lot of their time in behavioural research laboratories running round inside wheels and conducting frighteningly elegant and subtle experiments on man.

The fact that once again man completely misinterpreted this relationship was entirely according to these creatures' plans."

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.