GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lara Croft: Tombraider- Another crap movie?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/07/01 at 23:44
Regular
Is tombraider the biggest movie failure ever or di you like it? hmmmmm i gave it 4/10. Is the matrix better? By the way tombraider the movie cost $80,000,000 to make!!!!!!
Wed 18/07/01 at 13:42
For crying out loud, Goatboy, it isn't that bad. I admit the plot wasn't original, but it could have come out of any of the games which was what they were aiming for. The action scenes were terrific, Angelina Jolie was the perfect Lara, and it was all done very well. I have never been a fan of the games but I think you would have to be petty small minded to let that stop you seeing it. If you liked Indiana Jones films you'll love this. I can't remember any stupid innuendos or anything like that, so I don't know why you hate it that much.
Wed 18/07/01 at 13:55
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Why?

A big empty film based on a videogame.
Plot is laughable, Simon West can't direct traffic, Angelina Jolie plays one role in all her movies:

A little bit crazy, bit wild, bit sexy, quick with her wits and doesn't take authority too well.

The Illuminati depicted as villains, stock cliche since Cold War ended.

Locations like Cambodia, a country with one of the worst examples of genocide in modern history (Pol Pot anyone? Khmer Rouge).
An already signed agreement for 2 sequels, which means they decided this was a hit before they made it. Except it's bombing the world over.
A script comprised of 11 screenwriters, with all the "best bits" taken from each and thrown at the wall to see what sticks.
A tired Indiana Jones rip-off, complete with "I can't be bothered to spend ages fighting, I'll just shoot you" bit.
A reliance on pre-pubescent hormonal geek-boys that download Lara Croft wallpaper and actually think there's a cheat to see a computer character naked.
The assumption that just because a game is good, the movie will be when there has yet to be a single decent game-to-movie translation.

And now I've run out of breath.

If it was just me that finds this movie an insult, I'd understand.
But every critic in every review has expressed disatisfaction with this movie.

And Tomb Raider sucks.
Wed 18/07/01 at 14:05
The critics said The Simpsons was going to fail and it was rubbish, but in its day it was brilliant, and is still the most successful cartoon ever (they're running out of plot now.) My point is that you can't trust the critics. The film is bombing because people assume it will be how you say it is, but it isn't.
Wed 18/07/01 at 14:11
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
But what about the other points I raised?
Critics opinions mean very little, granted, but from the research I did about this movie, everything indicated that I wouldn't enjoy it.

And Simon West really, really shouldn't be allowed to watch movies, let alone make them
Wed 18/07/01 at 14:14
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Bewarethetoadsoffate wrote:
The film is bombing because people assume
> it will be how you say it is, but it isn't.

The film is also bombing because word of mouth is spreading.
The Net allows people to talk worldwide in seconds.

Some people like it, some people find it yet another McFilm whilst films like Ginger Snaps, Dark Days, 13 Days and other movies suffocate and die due to lack of distribution.

Why does my local giga-plex have Tomb Raider on 3 screens at once, but I have to travel to little cinemas to watch other movies that dont have advertising budgets the size of national debts?

That is my main anger with this film.
It sucks, it is formulaic, vacous, badly directed and everywhere at once.
Wed 18/07/01 at 14:25
GOD! NO IT ISN'T!! GO AND WATCH IT!! And stop being so bloody stubborn! It isn't badly directed, it doesn't suck, it is formulaic but many films are - Snatch for example - a cool film but a blatent copy, style-wise, of Lock Stock, and I don't know what vacous means so I can't argue that. Granted it may prevent you from seeing smaller films but the same is true of every big release, and as for pre-pubescent schoolboys you could make the same arguement about any film with a sexy female lead or part.
Wed 18/07/01 at 14:32
Regular
"Vacuous" means empty of intelligence.
Wed 18/07/01 at 14:33
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I have found Simon West to be a substandard director with no sense of framing action or editing in any sense of style or continuity.
That's just me being movie-geek, but I can't stand that man's efforts so far.

And it is just the sort of movie that is being churned out with alarming regularity.
Barest of plots, alarmingly bad script (I've read it, so I'm not guessing here), a central character that has no backstory given, an excuse to cram explosions and special effects in 2hrs.

I dont know why it bothers you so much that I detest this movie.
I'm not attacking you personally at all, you are just as entitled to your opinion as I am mine.
I havent blasted you for liking this movie, I have merely said that this movie, in my opinion, is another example of Hollywood making movies by the numbers - and a gullible public turning up just because it's a name they know.

I'm not trying to tell you that you're wrong, please stop trying to tell me that I am wrong.
You enjoyed it, I didn't.
And I have spent an age explaining, with valid reasons, why I will not watch this movie, and I warned people to the shortcomings of Tomb Raider over a month ago.

It's just my opinion, relax and stop telling me I'm wrong.
Because I'm not.
We just differ and that's cool.
Wed 18/07/01 at 14:38
Regular
"not dead"
I'm ignorant of Simon West, what else has he directed?
Wed 18/07/01 at 14:39
OK, I'll cool down. I hate it when I see people defacing something when they haven't seen it, but its obvious you know all you need to know about it.

And yes, it is vacous.

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.