GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lara Croft: Tombraider- Another crap movie?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/07/01 at 23:44
Regular
Is tombraider the biggest movie failure ever or di you like it? hmmmmm i gave it 4/10. Is the matrix better? By the way tombraider the movie cost $80,000,000 to make!!!!!!
Wed 11/07/01 at 18:08
cooldogs wrote:
> I'm going to go and see the film, only because of Angelie (or
> however you spell her name). By the way Atomic_Koala The Mummy is a
> very good film. It's special effects are reasnoble and its really
> funny, so if you say it's like that then I'm definately going to see
> it!

As I said, it will appeal to others, just not me. :-)
Wed 11/07/01 at 21:51
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I liked Tombraider. I watched it a few days ago and thought it was good but not amazing. I dont think that film critics know what they are talking about as they always say how rubbish films are even thought they are ok and worth a watch.

I was watching a movie program and there was a guy who was going into every single little detail about Shrek and saying that its not good because of a little thing that 99.999999999999% of the world would not notice.

I know some films arent every ones cup of tea but they just say every film is rubbish and give them lower ratings than they should.
Thu 12/07/01 at 12:57
"High polygon count"
I saw Tomb Raider while in Florida on holiday, and I loved it - but I am a Lara/TR fan anyway.

So here's a short review. This is from memory, as I saw the movie 3-4 weeks ago; I am also at work, and so don't have the time to recall all the finer details.

The plot centres around the Clock of Ages, a device which becomes active every 5000 years when all of the planets are in alignment.

The Illuminati want this clock, because when active, it allows the owner to move through time. Lara's now-deceased father found this clock on an exhibition when Lara was a child, and hid it in a secret room beneath their home, Croft Manor.

One night, several weeks before the alignment of the planets, Lara is woken by a combination of a dream and the ticking of the clock as it activates and begins its countdown. She traces the ticking to the secret room, beneath the stairs, and - in true Lara style - kicks her way in to find it.

The clock is stolen from Croft Manor by the Illuminati's agents, and Lara embarks on a quest to get it back, before any harm can be done.

It transpires that the clock actually functions as a key, unlocking two pieces of a mystical triangle from two tombs. These pieces, when joined, provide the gateway through time.

Filmed on location in Cambodia and Iceland, the film provides some very dramatic sequences. However, many parts of the film - including the scenes in Croft Manor, and all of the special effects - were filmed at the UK's Pinewood Studios.

The effects are amazing, and there's a lot of fantastic combat scenes and stunt-work. Particularly good is Lara's 'Bungee Ballet' and the action scene which immediately follows it, as the Illuminati agents break in to Croft Manor to steal the Clock of Ages. During this sequence, Chris Barrie as Lara's butler goes all SAS with a shotgun, which - having seen him as Rimmer and Mr. Brittas - is extremely amusing.

While the story is not exactly original, it is solid and well-told. There are a few 'quiet' areas where the action stops, but generally it's a fairly fast-paced movie that doesn't let your mind wander.

The acting is solid, provided mostly by A-list actors, and Angelina's English accent is spot-on. They have remained very faithful to the games, with many of Lara's moves - such as the rolls and flips - included. There's one scene where Lara faces a stone tomb guardian, and she tips her head slightly to one side before blowing it away with one of her Desert Eagle pistols... fans of the game will instantly recognise the Lara mannerisms - it could be straight from the game.

In itself, it is a good - though not exceptional - movie, and in my opinion, well worth seeing. As you'd expect, it's along the lines of the Indiana Jones films, though probably not quite as 'epic'. For fans of Lara and the Tomb Raider games, the film is a must-see.

It is also said that this film contains many clues and pointers which, while currently unknown, will assist players in the next installment of the Tomb Raider games, appearing on the next-gen consoles.

There are two movie sequels planned, and Angelina Jolie was supposedly very eager to take part in both of them. However, a report I received today from Ananova suggests that she may be taking a break to have a baby with husband Billy Bob Thornton. So either they'll have to put the movies on hold, or get someone else to play Lara - which would be a shame, because despite my original reservations, Ms. Jolie is the ideal choice to play Lara.
Mon 16/07/01 at 13:24
Lets all thank this bloke for ruining the whole film for us
Mon 16/07/01 at 13:26
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I dont think revealing the "Plot" is going to deter people from watching it.

Let's face it, if you're going to see Tomb Raider, you deserve everything you get.
Mon 16/07/01 at 13:29
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Yeah, I mean, c'mon it's hardly the Sixth Sense is it?

./Steve
Mon 16/07/01 at 13:46
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
He's already dead you know.

HA
Mon 16/07/01 at 23:47
I've just got back from the cinema and yes I went to see Tomb Raider.

What can I say about this film?

Well perhaps I could start by saying my expectations seemed low when I went, but upon departing le cinema, these self same expectations suddenly seemed quite high.

It was offensively predictable from start to finish, the plot was possibly the weakest plot in recent times if not ever, the effects while good were nothing special when comparing them to anything outside of this film, the supporting cast were lame at best and the baddy looked like he was going to break out into the chorus of "Gold" at any given moment.

If you are thinking of going to see this film, may I urge you not to. Sadly you won't know how much of a favour I'm trying to do you unless you go and see it. Weird that, isn't it?
Tue 17/07/01 at 08:56
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
*Goatboy remembers back to his 1st warning post over a month ago*

No Tarrant, strangely I agree with you.
Tue 17/07/01 at 12:18
"High polygon count"
Well, I enjoyed it!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.