GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rare - The Thread"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 31/07/04 at 13:55
"Retarded List"
I thought this site could do with a thread about one of the best developers around, so here it is.
Sat 21/08/04 at 23:36
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Rares a first class game maker, there is no denying it. Microsoft brought Rare to weaken the gamecube, taking away the publisher for some of the best games on N64. Ok quite harsh by Microsoft but its a dog eat dog world.
Sat 21/08/04 at 23:26
Regular
The biggest sign of weakness was including not just one, but two bash the button quickly minigames that were necessary to complete the story.
Sat 21/08/04 at 23:22
Regular
I so despised SFA... it just wasn't fun.
Sat 21/08/04 at 23:20
Regular
I'd rate Starfox as kinda okay personally. It could've been worse and felt like an Ocarina of Time clone (just like Banjo Kazooie was a Super Mario 64 clone)

No where near as good as OoT, but still a playable adventure. Could've been worse. It could've been as bad as Beyblades.
Sat 21/08/04 at 23:15
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> About the first decent game Rare made for the '64 and it was a fair
> way into the consoles lifespan before we got it.

Goldeneye was released like a year after the 64's release.

You can say GBTG was a bad game because it was one of RAre's first but you have to remember it was originally destined for the Gamecube...

So it would really have been RARE's second big game... and SFA was so bad it was unbelievable.

RARE are only great because the good games they make are REALLY REALLY good... but they also make loads of OK ones and naff ones.

Take Conker, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark for example, the cream of the N64 crop.

Then Diddy Kong Racing, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini... all kinda okay titles...

Then Killer Instinct, Banjo Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, Mickey's Speedway...

Awful isn't a word I use lightly.

I wouldn't base how good RARE are on Conker's Bad Fur Day because they are just adding an improving an already fantastic title. Starfox Adventures and Grabbed By the Gholies were blank canvas' and RARE messed them up.
Fri 20/08/04 at 20:00
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
Rickoss wrote:
> Well the new game has a very dark storyline. An evil company is
> closing the hearts to Pokemon, thus making them evil!
>
> *chuckles*

Why don't Ninty let you (the gamer) choose what you carry at the start of a new game on Pokemon, 'Machine-gun or Pokeballs?'

Now who's stealing pokemon?
Tue 10/08/04 at 14:21
Regular
"8==="
Hmmmm not evil enough I fear.
Mon 09/08/04 at 19:55
Regular
Well the new game has a very dark storyline. An evil company is closing the hearts to Pokemon, thus making them evil!

*chuckles*
Mon 09/08/04 at 18:36
Regular
"8==="
I have to say collecting and nurturing little creatures as part of Bomberman was good fun.

I can't stand the wholesome squeakyness of Pokemon though.

More darkness please.
Mon 09/08/04 at 18:34
Regular
"8==="
Not sure it was on the Acorn Archimedes series of machines.

It really is worth a look. Especially as it was made in 1989 with 12 colour vector graphics (ie no textures) and is completely amazing still.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.