GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oh the Horror of XBM"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/08/04 at 14:59
Regular
"a.k.a King"
I do own a Gamecube and an XBOX, but to be honest my heart lies with Ninty and I by far would prefer to play on the Cube. Anyway, I buy NOM (Nintendo Official Mag) for my Cube cuz it's informative, funny and official. However, I'm not prepared to fork out 6 quid for the XBOX official mag, so instead I buy the unofficial XBM every now and again.

I have to admit I don't really admire the mag much, as it is very biased and seems to have some personal vendetta against Nintendo. And they score games out of 10 which in stupid. But this issue (135) I just bought really got me fuming.

In the news section, the firstly had a go at Ninty because they recently critisied XBOX for this new XNA hardware and obviously XBM couldn't take that. So, they go critising Ninty by saying that no more can be done with the boring Mario and that the PSP will take down the DS. What the hell?

Then, in their E3 after-report thing, Ninty said they would produce innovative games, so then XBM critised Ninty shown games by saying 'There was another Metroid, another Zelda and another Mario'. What? They obviously have never heard of Odama, Four Swords, Mario Pinball, the DS titles. Christ, these guys suck.

Then, whilst reading the game listings, I came across Soul Calibur 2. They gave it 10/10, which is totally wrong, bu underneath they praised the game and said 'the XBOX Spawn-licensed version is by far the best of the three'. What the hell? I think we'll re-phrase 'Spawn' to 'Link'. Link fits into the nature of the game, Link has cool moves. Spawn is a misfit who can shoot fireballs and swear. Just to let those idiots at XBM know, the Cube version of Soul Calibur outsold the other two on the first week, and guess who sold the least/ Yep, the XBOX version.

So, you guys at XBM, stop being so god damn biased and have some respect for the guys who basically revolutionised the gaming world. Without them, XBOX wouldn't be here.
Sun 08/08/04 at 18:33
Regular
This morning I had a re-read of the latest NGC - I was much amused by their response when someone said they're biased.

"Ofcourse we're biased. This is a Nintendo magazine!"
Sun 08/08/04 at 18:37
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Seriously NOM's latest issue is poor. The actual quality of writing, and amount of spelling mistakes, mputs it in a different league from NGC or even Cube, which I also don't find particularly great to read.

I think everyone will agree that NGC is the best Nintendo mag on offer.
Mon 09/08/04 at 00:27
Regular
Ashman wrote:
> You buy NOM though?
>
> Seriously what are you thinking?

They're a poor mag, but I think some of your criticisms are perhaps a little harsh. Their news is good, and they have some nice little sections. As Rickoss said, previews are often packed with info.
Mon 09/08/04 at 01:15
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Well, when you consider that they aren't the best Nintendo mag, and are overshadowed by two others, one which is infinitely more interesting, I think you get the picture. Unless you buy three Ninty mags a month, that is, in which case, "What are you thinking?"
Mon 09/08/04 at 09:21
Regular
Cube, I find, is the worse magazine especially as their reviews are just so unbelievbly awful. If it wasn't for the cheat/video discs they release I'd expect them to have gone under by now.

Like G-Force (laughs insanely)
Mon 09/08/04 at 11:12
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I bought cube once and then never again because I was shocked how poor the reviews were. If you compiled a magazine from the reviews on SR and some of our game related ramblings in this forum, I think you'd get a more professional and entertaining magazine.
Mon 09/08/04 at 13:09
Regular
G-Force and CUBE impressed me with their comprehensive news sections.

I was less impressed when I realised half of it wasn't even true.
Wed 11/08/04 at 22:41
Regular
Stop being such a bunch of old women! Who cares if XBM had a go at Nintendo? Every magazine snipes at the competition, just like BBC snipes at ITV, Scottish snipe at English, the Jones' snipe at the Smiths. It's all part of life. Get over yourself. If you don't like the magazine then don't buy it.

As for Link being more appropriate in Soul Calibur than Spawn... are you serious? A leperachaun-wannabe in a game full of huge, powerful, weapon-wielding characters out for each other's blood, or a big guy that sold his soul to satan in order to be given a second round on earth... hmmm. Yea, I think your comment starts to look a bit lame there. In all fairness you have to agree.
Thu 12/08/04 at 02:16
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Ashman wrote:
> You buy NOM though?
>
> Seriously what are you thinking?
>
> The quality of their reviews is appaling, their features are dull,
> and after reading about two or three pages of the last issue (blue
> one, bought it on holiday as there was little else) I discovered
> about 5 seperate spelling mistakes, along with a host of poor grammar
> and jerky sentences. For an official magazine, I don't see this in
> any way acceptable.

NOM use to be a pile of tosh that was 100% fanboy driven but in the last 6 0r 7 months ive definately seen a change in the way they review and preview every game they get their mits on. Its definately alot funnier than it use to be as they rip it out of peoples letters and screenshots of sh*te games and you can tell that the readers have been getting more of a say in the magazines content. The Biased opinions have dramatically decreased as they shredded several ninty exclusive games such as FF:CC and pokemon collisuem to peices.

NOM has alwasy stood out to me for the sole reason that it does get first priority to ninty exclusive titles and in depth previews have always been found there first rather than rival mags.
Thu 12/08/04 at 04:06
Regular
Gar-J wrote:
> In all fairness you have to agree.

uhh..no we don't.

Cause you're stupid taffer, and you're wrong.

Link clearly blends in much better than Spawn.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.