GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oh the Horror of XBM"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/08/04 at 14:59
Regular
"a.k.a King"
I do own a Gamecube and an XBOX, but to be honest my heart lies with Ninty and I by far would prefer to play on the Cube. Anyway, I buy NOM (Nintendo Official Mag) for my Cube cuz it's informative, funny and official. However, I'm not prepared to fork out 6 quid for the XBOX official mag, so instead I buy the unofficial XBM every now and again.

I have to admit I don't really admire the mag much, as it is very biased and seems to have some personal vendetta against Nintendo. And they score games out of 10 which in stupid. But this issue (135) I just bought really got me fuming.

In the news section, the firstly had a go at Ninty because they recently critisied XBOX for this new XNA hardware and obviously XBM couldn't take that. So, they go critising Ninty by saying that no more can be done with the boring Mario and that the PSP will take down the DS. What the hell?

Then, in their E3 after-report thing, Ninty said they would produce innovative games, so then XBM critised Ninty shown games by saying 'There was another Metroid, another Zelda and another Mario'. What? They obviously have never heard of Odama, Four Swords, Mario Pinball, the DS titles. Christ, these guys suck.

Then, whilst reading the game listings, I came across Soul Calibur 2. They gave it 10/10, which is totally wrong, bu underneath they praised the game and said 'the XBOX Spawn-licensed version is by far the best of the three'. What the hell? I think we'll re-phrase 'Spawn' to 'Link'. Link fits into the nature of the game, Link has cool moves. Spawn is a misfit who can shoot fireballs and swear. Just to let those idiots at XBM know, the Cube version of Soul Calibur outsold the other two on the first week, and guess who sold the least/ Yep, the XBOX version.

So, you guys at XBM, stop being so god damn biased and have some respect for the guys who basically revolutionised the gaming world. Without them, XBOX wouldn't be here.
Sat 07/08/04 at 21:15
Regular
"8==="
Ignore them.

They're the gaming version of the Daily Mail.
Sun 08/08/04 at 00:55
Regular
So whilst Nintendo get brand new platformers X-box owners get an updated N64 port.

Go them.
Sun 08/08/04 at 02:28
Regular
Digitiser and CVG had it right in the day.

Marks out of 5.

None of this petty opinionated "so and so deserves a couple more percentage than so and so" and no messed up trying to beat inferior games which got too close to the 100 mark last time...

Simple rating:

5 = Classic. Must own if you like the genre.
4 = Not perfectly mind blowing but a solidly decent game.
3 = Alright, but nothing special. Average. Mediocre. :-)
2 = A bit flawed. You might get a bit of fun out of it but money can be better spent.
1 = Terrible game. Avoid and don't spend money on, and maybe not even accept for free.
0 = Can games sink lower than 1? Rare cases, but yes. :-)

The thing is, Digitiser got replaced by something else, something without wit or humour or brutal honesty.
CVG went mainstream. Out with uniqueness and character, in with higher price and free gifts.

The "Saturn/N64/Playstation/Dreamcast" era of gaming was trully a special time.
Sun 08/08/04 at 02:33
Regular
Johnson wrote:

> And they score games out of 10 which in stupid.

A fine example good sir.
Sun 08/08/04 at 11:49
Regular
"8==="
Dringo wrote:
> So whilst Nintendo get brand new platformers X-box owners get an
> updated N64 port.
>
> Go them.

mmmmmmm Live.

I'd say getting it for single player's a waste of time if you owned it before but it's not really about that.

I'd be quite happy if the released the orginal dooms on Live along with a Live version of Halo.

Something to do with with Live play being a brilliant idea sadly lacking on older consoles.
Sun 08/08/04 at 14:07
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
You buy NOM though?

Seriously what are you thinking?

The quality of their reviews is appaling, their features are dull, and after reading about two or three pages of the last issue (blue one, bought it on holiday as there was little else) I discovered about 5 seperate spelling mistakes, along with a host of poor grammar and jerky sentences. For an official magazine, I don't see this in any way acceptable.
Sun 08/08/04 at 16:55
Regular
They're only official in that they call themselves official and are probably payed by Nintendo.. Nintendo themselves have nothing to do with the magazine and it isn't their opinions going to print.
Sun 08/08/04 at 17:14
Regular
"a.k.a King"
Ashman wrote:
> You buy NOM though?
>
> Seriously what are you thinking?
>
> The quality of their reviews is appaling, their features are dull,
> and after reading about two or three pages of the last issue (blue
> one, bought it on holiday as there was little else) I discovered
> about 5 seperate spelling mistakes, along with a host of poor grammar
> and jerky sentences. For an official magazine, I don't see this in
> any way acceptable.

I don't see anything wrong with NOM. The reviews are good, and yes admitidly some of their features are a little crap, the majority are very good and worth reading. We all have our opinions I suppose . . . . .
Sun 08/08/04 at 17:16
Regular
For the most part their reviews are quite good, and very honest. You do occasionally get really crap ones, mind.

Their previews are often great, though.
Sun 08/08/04 at 18:21
Regular
Hedfix wrote:

>
> Something to do with with Live play being a brilliant idea sadly
> lacking on older consoles.

I merely meen comparing Conker to Mario, that Mario is made especially for this generation whilst the X-box gets an upgraded game.

Conker's Bad Fur Day remains my favourite game so I'm not going to question how good it'll be.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.