GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oh the Horror of XBM"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/08/04 at 14:59
Regular
"a.k.a King"
I do own a Gamecube and an XBOX, but to be honest my heart lies with Ninty and I by far would prefer to play on the Cube. Anyway, I buy NOM (Nintendo Official Mag) for my Cube cuz it's informative, funny and official. However, I'm not prepared to fork out 6 quid for the XBOX official mag, so instead I buy the unofficial XBM every now and again.

I have to admit I don't really admire the mag much, as it is very biased and seems to have some personal vendetta against Nintendo. And they score games out of 10 which in stupid. But this issue (135) I just bought really got me fuming.

In the news section, the firstly had a go at Ninty because they recently critisied XBOX for this new XNA hardware and obviously XBM couldn't take that. So, they go critising Ninty by saying that no more can be done with the boring Mario and that the PSP will take down the DS. What the hell?

Then, in their E3 after-report thing, Ninty said they would produce innovative games, so then XBM critised Ninty shown games by saying 'There was another Metroid, another Zelda and another Mario'. What? They obviously have never heard of Odama, Four Swords, Mario Pinball, the DS titles. Christ, these guys suck.

Then, whilst reading the game listings, I came across Soul Calibur 2. They gave it 10/10, which is totally wrong, bu underneath they praised the game and said 'the XBOX Spawn-licensed version is by far the best of the three'. What the hell? I think we'll re-phrase 'Spawn' to 'Link'. Link fits into the nature of the game, Link has cool moves. Spawn is a misfit who can shoot fireballs and swear. Just to let those idiots at XBM know, the Cube version of Soul Calibur outsold the other two on the first week, and guess who sold the least/ Yep, the XBOX version.

So, you guys at XBM, stop being so god damn biased and have some respect for the guys who basically revolutionised the gaming world. Without them, XBOX wouldn't be here.
Sat 07/08/04 at 14:59
Regular
"a.k.a King"
I do own a Gamecube and an XBOX, but to be honest my heart lies with Ninty and I by far would prefer to play on the Cube. Anyway, I buy NOM (Nintendo Official Mag) for my Cube cuz it's informative, funny and official. However, I'm not prepared to fork out 6 quid for the XBOX official mag, so instead I buy the unofficial XBM every now and again.

I have to admit I don't really admire the mag much, as it is very biased and seems to have some personal vendetta against Nintendo. And they score games out of 10 which in stupid. But this issue (135) I just bought really got me fuming.

In the news section, the firstly had a go at Ninty because they recently critisied XBOX for this new XNA hardware and obviously XBM couldn't take that. So, they go critising Ninty by saying that no more can be done with the boring Mario and that the PSP will take down the DS. What the hell?

Then, in their E3 after-report thing, Ninty said they would produce innovative games, so then XBM critised Ninty shown games by saying 'There was another Metroid, another Zelda and another Mario'. What? They obviously have never heard of Odama, Four Swords, Mario Pinball, the DS titles. Christ, these guys suck.

Then, whilst reading the game listings, I came across Soul Calibur 2. They gave it 10/10, which is totally wrong, bu underneath they praised the game and said 'the XBOX Spawn-licensed version is by far the best of the three'. What the hell? I think we'll re-phrase 'Spawn' to 'Link'. Link fits into the nature of the game, Link has cool moves. Spawn is a misfit who can shoot fireballs and swear. Just to let those idiots at XBM know, the Cube version of Soul Calibur outsold the other two on the first week, and guess who sold the least/ Yep, the XBOX version.

So, you guys at XBM, stop being so god damn biased and have some respect for the guys who basically revolutionised the gaming world. Without them, XBOX wouldn't be here.
Sat 07/08/04 at 15:02
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Johnson wrote:
> So, you guys at XBM, stop being so god damn biased and have some
> respect for the guys who basically revolutionised the gaming world.

Your right in a way but i'm prettay sure none of the guys from the XBM go on here.

:)
Sat 07/08/04 at 15:11
Regular
You care too much. All XBox magazines are biased rubbish.
Sat 07/08/04 at 15:16
Regular
It's sad when professional publications talk such crap and influence their readers into becoming gibbering fanboys. Best thing to do is just ignore it and not read that one again, and remember that you're playing the games you enjoy no matter what anyone else thinks.

Every console has them, and every magazine will carry some bias, just hopefully not enough to have a noticeable effect on it.
Sat 07/08/04 at 20:08
Regular
I'm pretty sure that NOM rate games out of 10. I could be wrong but without checking, I'm pretty sure.
Sat 07/08/04 at 20:59
Regular
"bit of a brain"
They used to, I know that for sure, but maybe they've seen the light.
I remember when NOM's reviews were nothing but 2 pages of captioned pictures, some box-outs about the storyline or the controls, and then a final score. At one time they didn't even have a 'closing comment'. That's what it was ONM.
Sat 07/08/04 at 21:02
Regular
"8==="
Some mag I bought treated Xbox like a religion.

It was all 'praise the might of Xbox brothers and cast down master chif's wrath on the heathens;.

Needless to say I never bought the mag again...

*Cough*

Brother. ;)
Sat 07/08/04 at 21:05
Regular
I don't have a problem with scores out of ten - after all, the actual review should take precedent over the score which, at the end of the day, is just a number.

But I understand your main point. And while it's simple enough to say all consoles have their biased magazines, I think the problem mainly lies with Xbox publications. Owning all three major platforms, I've bought many official and unofficial magazines for each console, and I've therefore got a fairly open view on the wider situation.

The unofficial GC and PS2 mags are perfectly unbiased. Even NOM, or OPSM2 usually stay away from unnecessary criticism, although they sometimes slip in a few snide comments or comparisons. But every single Xbox magazine I've read, with the possible exception of X-Gamer, appears to want to verbally attack the rival consoles. I'm not saying anything for certain, but it's almost as though Microsoft themselves have something to do with it.

But that's not even the weirdest thing - it's that it's usually Nintendo that receives the larger portion of this abuse. Considering that Microsoft and Sony are playing similar games in the market, you'd think that these magazines would want to fill their articles with negative propaganda about their main rival.

It would be nice to not care about it, but when so many magazines feel like unduly criticising Nintendo - a company that has given so much to the industry - it annoys me that they can fill people's heads with this crap.
Sat 07/08/04 at 21:06
Regular
"a.k.a King"
Edgy wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that NOM rate games out of 10. I could be wrong but
> without checking, I'm pretty sure.

Nope, they used to, but now they use percentages.
Sat 07/08/04 at 21:10
Regular
"a.k.a King"
Mav wrote:
> I don't have a problem with scores out of ten - after all, the actual
> review should take precedent over the score which, at the end of the
> day, is just a number.
>
> But I understand your main point. And while it's simple enough to say
> all consoles have their biased magazines, I think the problem mainly
> lies with Xbox publications. Owning all three major platforms, I've
> bought many official and unofficial magazines for each console, and
> I've therefore got a fairly open view on the wider situation.
>
> The unofficial GC and PS2 mags are perfectly unbiased. Even NOM, or
> OPSM2 usually stay away from unnecessary criticism, although they
> sometimes slip in a few snide comments or comparisons. But every
> single Xbox magazine I've read, with the possible exception of
> X-Gamer, appears to want to verbally attack the rival consoles. I'm
> not saying anything for certain, but it's almost as though Microsoft
> themselves have something to do with it.
>
> But that's not even the weirdest thing - it's that it's usually
> Nintendo that receives the larger portion of this abuse. Considering
> that Microsoft and Sony are playing similar games in the market,
> you'd think that these magazines would want to fill their articles
> with negative propaganda about their main rival.
>
> It would be nice to not care about it, but when so many magazines
> feel like unduly criticising Nintendo - a company that has given so
> much to the industry - it annoys me that they can fill people's heads
> with this crap.

Yep, completely true. Even though Sony and Ninty recently critised XBOX about using XNA technology, all the abuse was sent toward Nintendo. And they use the 'Rare'issue to try to fume us, but it doesn't work. Comments like 'They may have the fat italian but we have the furry squirell (Conker)' were in their mag. XBOX mags are biased crap.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.