GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oh the Horror of XBM"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/08/04 at 14:59
Regular
"a.k.a King"
I do own a Gamecube and an XBOX, but to be honest my heart lies with Ninty and I by far would prefer to play on the Cube. Anyway, I buy NOM (Nintendo Official Mag) for my Cube cuz it's informative, funny and official. However, I'm not prepared to fork out 6 quid for the XBOX official mag, so instead I buy the unofficial XBM every now and again.

I have to admit I don't really admire the mag much, as it is very biased and seems to have some personal vendetta against Nintendo. And they score games out of 10 which in stupid. But this issue (135) I just bought really got me fuming.

In the news section, the firstly had a go at Ninty because they recently critisied XBOX for this new XNA hardware and obviously XBM couldn't take that. So, they go critising Ninty by saying that no more can be done with the boring Mario and that the PSP will take down the DS. What the hell?

Then, in their E3 after-report thing, Ninty said they would produce innovative games, so then XBM critised Ninty shown games by saying 'There was another Metroid, another Zelda and another Mario'. What? They obviously have never heard of Odama, Four Swords, Mario Pinball, the DS titles. Christ, these guys suck.

Then, whilst reading the game listings, I came across Soul Calibur 2. They gave it 10/10, which is totally wrong, bu underneath they praised the game and said 'the XBOX Spawn-licensed version is by far the best of the three'. What the hell? I think we'll re-phrase 'Spawn' to 'Link'. Link fits into the nature of the game, Link has cool moves. Spawn is a misfit who can shoot fireballs and swear. Just to let those idiots at XBM know, the Cube version of Soul Calibur outsold the other two on the first week, and guess who sold the least/ Yep, the XBOX version.

So, you guys at XBM, stop being so god damn biased and have some respect for the guys who basically revolutionised the gaming world. Without them, XBOX wouldn't be here.
Sat 21/08/04 at 23:00
Regular
Have you ever played past Zelda titles? Link is a warrior with classic sword play abilities...

In fact an entire Zelda beat 'em up in the style ofof Soul Calibur is a might fine idea indeed.

The reason why X-box got Spawn and the PS2 got the Tekken dude was because Namco included Link into the Gamecube version. The decision for Link came before the latter 2 it was part of a deal Nintendo adopted to help sell SC2. Spawn and the Tekken dude were added so the PS2 and X-box fan base doesn't feel left out.

Like those online games that get ported to the GC, the developers tend to add a few extras to the Gamecube version so we don't feel left out by the absence of online play.

Doesn't work... Link was built into SC2 far more successfully.
Sat 21/08/04 at 13:44
Regular
"the burning sky"
Gar-J wrote:
> Rickoss wrote:
> Gar-J, you're fast becoming the biggest fanboy on these forums.
>
> Explain how when I say that I have an Xbox, a Gamecube and a
> Dreamcast and that I love them all.
>
> Truly, you are brainless.

Resorting to personal insults? It's always the first sign of knowing you are wrong or have a weak point.

You knew you had that coming didnt you?
Sat 21/08/04 at 13:32
Regular
"My opinion is almighty, therefore you must bow down before me."
Sat 21/08/04 at 13:13
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> Gar-J, you're fast becoming the biggest fanboy on these forums.

Explain how when I say that I have an Xbox, a Gamecube and a Dreamcast and that I love them all.

Truly, you are brainless.
Wed 18/08/04 at 23:11
Regular
Gar-J, you're fast becoming the biggest fanboy on these forums.
Wed 18/08/04 at 23:02
Regular
The best part is:

A: I was right
B: The last time you got all out of your pram you attempted a 'personnal insult' in every sentence, until someone had a go at you for the same reason.

My advice: try some of that 'no more tears' shampoo little baby.
Wed 18/08/04 at 19:58
Regular
"~DPG~"
All 'Official Magazines' say that their exclusive games are the best, they are going to be biased.
Thu 12/08/04 at 18:33
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> Gar-J wrote:
> In all fairness you have to agree.
>
>
> uhh..no we don't.
>
> Cause you're stupid taffer, and you're wrong.
>
>
> Link clearly blends in much better than Spawn.

Hahaha, I was just waiting some fanboy moron to reply to me and resort to personal insults. It's always the first sign of knowing they are wrong or have a weak point - thanks. You've insulted yourself there much more than I can be arsed to do.
Thu 12/08/04 at 04:06
Regular
Gar-J wrote:
> In all fairness you have to agree.

uhh..no we don't.

Cause you're stupid taffer, and you're wrong.

Link clearly blends in much better than Spawn.
Thu 12/08/04 at 02:16
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Ashman wrote:
> You buy NOM though?
>
> Seriously what are you thinking?
>
> The quality of their reviews is appaling, their features are dull,
> and after reading about two or three pages of the last issue (blue
> one, bought it on holiday as there was little else) I discovered
> about 5 seperate spelling mistakes, along with a host of poor grammar
> and jerky sentences. For an official magazine, I don't see this in
> any way acceptable.

NOM use to be a pile of tosh that was 100% fanboy driven but in the last 6 0r 7 months ive definately seen a change in the way they review and preview every game they get their mits on. Its definately alot funnier than it use to be as they rip it out of peoples letters and screenshots of sh*te games and you can tell that the readers have been getting more of a say in the magazines content. The Biased opinions have dramatically decreased as they shredded several ninty exclusive games such as FF:CC and pokemon collisuem to peices.

NOM has alwasy stood out to me for the sole reason that it does get first priority to ninty exclusive titles and in depth previews have always been found there first rather than rival mags.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.