GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube vs. Xbox - We know the score!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/08/04 at 13:02
Regular
"a.k.a King"
Yep, lately there have been many arguments over this, and we all know Cube is better than Xbox. If the world had sense there would be no PS2 and XBOX, but there is. So use this thread to destroy the XBOX enemy, and also use it for any Ninty related gossip you have on your chest when the enemy run off. Let World War III begin.

All hail Shvigsy, Ya!!!!
Wed 11/08/04 at 14:57
Regular
Don't complicate things, Hedfix.

;-D
Wed 11/08/04 at 14:59
Regular
"a.k.a King"
I am not loved I see. I will move on.
Wed 11/08/04 at 15:20
Regular
I love your mum

*Destroys xbox enemy*

*Hails Shvigys*
Wed 11/08/04 at 15:31
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Hedfix wrote:
> GayLube

Gayboob...or gaybube.

Whatever.

*throws book on the floor*
Wed 11/08/04 at 17:02
Regular
"8==="
Average Joe wrote:
> I feel your mum

GayNoob :P
Wed 11/08/04 at 20:28
"period drama"
Any guy feeling your mother must be gay.
Or is now, in the terrible aftermath.

Aftermath?
It's PE, I think.

ahar.
Wed 11/08/04 at 22:29
Regular
Johnson wrote:
> Yep, lately there have been many arguments over this, and we all know
> Cube is better than Xbox. If the world had sense there would be no
> PS2 and XBOX, but there is. So use this thread to destroy the XBOX
> enemy, and also use it for any Ninty related gossip you have on your
> chest when the enemy run off. Let World War III begin.
>
> All hail Shvigsy, Ya!!!!

Alas, another fanboy demonstrates his application for "village idiot".

All consoles have their pros and cons - Xbox has brute power, network capability out of the box, Live, and some great games.

Gamecube lacks networking (let's face it, multiplayer games are much more fun than single player, and yes I know about split-screen but we all know a full screen is better), but has some incredible games that are unique to Nintendo's console. It's smaller and more practical to take with you while on your travels, but let's not pretend the size matters when it's sitting under your TV.

I have both consoles - and also a Dreamcast but that's irrelevant here - and I play on all of them roughly the same. Any games that are multi-platform I get for Xbox, as it's extra power gives the games more polish. For games that are N-only though, of course I get them for the Cube. I'm happy with both of them, but the Cube can't compete for multiplayer nor power - just the quality of games, which seem to bide by "quality over quantity".

So fanboys, do you see how to put together a balanced and thought-out opinion? Who among you will now attempt to crash this post with something moronic along the lines of "CUBE RULEZ XBOX IS CRAP!!!!!!"?
Wed 11/08/04 at 23:06
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Gamecube is aimed at the younger gamers entering the market, but they still want the old hardcore and hopefully a few left over people who dont know the difference between consoles. All fairness Nintendo have done this well but it seems sme people arent accepting the facts of who the consoles are aimed at.
Thu 12/08/04 at 13:01
Regular
Gar-J wrote:
> Gamecube lacks networking (let's face it, multiplayer games are much
> more fun than single player, and yes I know about split-screen but we
> all know a full screen is better), but has some incredible games that
> are unique to Nintendo's console. It's smaller and more practical to
> take with you while on your travels, but let's not pretend the size
> matters when it's sitting under your TV.

The cube does have local networking, and in this respect the portability is a bonus. Admittedly it's not widespread enough to be so useful yet, and there's a good chance you'd still have to lug a tv around...

Obviously online it's xbox hands down, and really it's probably better local too, on accout of having more games.
Thu 12/08/04 at 18:57
Regular
Firstly, I'm impressed and still a little shocked with the quality of the replies - as I said, I was expecting more fanboy crap.

As for local networking - yes, it does have it if you buy a network adapter for around 30 quid, but when I said "out of the box" I meant without any additions - which is what the Xbox gives you.

I've set up an ethernet network between 3 rooms containing big TVs at my house, and the lack of native networking ability on the Cube did annoy me a little. For now, mates can bring their Xboxes here and we have a good time on the various multiplayer games with 0-2ms ping. Why not use Live? Sadly, my area's designated date for the rollout of broadband is not until next summer. Until each of us want to fork out 30 quid on a LAN adapter for the Cube, Xbox will remain the console of choice for us and out multiplayer needs too. It's also a sad fact that the Cube lacks networking games. I know about Mario Kart and Phantasy Star Online, but am I going to fork out for a LAN adapter to play 2 games? If you know of any other (good) LAN games, I'd genuinely like to know about them - might convince me to make the purchase.

While yes, the Cube is pretty obviously aimed at the younger gamer (aesthetics, price, games etc.), post a thread on the Nintendo forum and say the Cube is for kids - see what kind of reply you get. The difficulty some people experience in seeing that the Cube is for younger gamers comes from fanboys who are adamant that the Cube not only competes against, but beats the other consoles at their own game. Which it doesn't.

Something doesn't always have to be the best for it to be enjoyable, and I feel this is the case with the Cube. It's not the most powerful, nor does it have the most games. It doesn't have native online support either, but it doesn't pretend to be something that it isn't and it's a pretty honest console. The reason I really hate the PS2 is because it spews lies and claims to be so many things that it simply isn't. Marketing is one thing, but lies are another. Who else remembers the claim that the emotion engine is so powerful that PS2 games will all feature individual blades of grass, real wind, individual rain drops and real characters with real facial expressions? I'm sure a look on Google would find you such claims. On the other hand, the Cube is a cheap and cheerful console that smacks of "what you see is what you get", and what you get is a damn fine console and one that I'm very glad I bought.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.