GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Chronicles of Riddick"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay'.
Wed 11/08/04 at 20:46
Regular
Got this today via SR and I must say, it's fantastic.

Haven't played it much (beat the robot-boss-thing just past the mainframe section), but this is what I expected Halo to be. Not in the style of play, but the level design, atmosphere and general feel of the game. It's amazing, to be frank, what I'd call a wonderful merger between Halo, Slinter Cell and the most beautiful visuals on a home console, and not to mention one of, if not the, best XBox game I've played.

The atmosphere in the prison is just so engrossing and... real. The gameplay is equally impressive, the hand-to-hand combat standing out; not a Goldeneye-esque slap system, you can link combos, use different weapons, etc.

All I have to say, really, is get this game. The lack of multiplayer is a little disappointing as I could see it working very well, but so far I'm happy with it how it is. Very much.
Fri 13/08/04 at 07:48
Regular
"BOSE"
Good game? NICE graphics? OXM said something like "It has the best graphics we've seen and we've seen them all" so far. I don't have a problem with the hand-hand. If I wanna jab him left or right or uppercut him it's easy. To snap someone's neck/shoot someone with their own gun I think you just press the two triggers at the same time. If a guy goes to hit you, you press + hold block then press the right trigger to shoot him with his gun. How do you stab someone in the neck with a screwdriver? That sounds like fun! :-)
Thu 12/08/04 at 19:06
Regular
Daveus wrote:
> when i first worked out how to shoot someone with their own weapon, i
> was like...oh! man that's nasty!

I still haven't managed to figure out how to do that, although I have done it a couple of times.
Thu 12/08/04 at 18:29
Regular
"Selected"
I think it's good. But it has it's annoyances. Like somebody already said, the hand-to-hand combat feels a bit sluggish at times, especially because you have to time the left-right combos so precisely. It doesn't react to how fast you can swing the analoge stick.

It's a good game though - nice graphics, good storyline (so far) and some nice weapons (screwdriver in the neck is a classic).
Thu 12/08/04 at 17:17
Regular
"BOSE"
Anyone bought the OXM with the demo on it!? This game is rockin! :-D
Nothing bad about this game. It's a f----- beautiful game in every aspect :-)

when i first worked out how to shoot someone with their own weapon, i was like...oh! man that's nasty!and breaking necks! aghhhh! :-D One of the best FPS i've ever played! you can even put as many bullet holes in someone's body as you like! the hand-hand comebat is well cool too. i had the first dude cornered up to a computer monitor, i kept hitting him and hitting him, and everytime i did, his bloody like sprayed on the wall etc! then he rolled down all proper like. Can't wait for tomorow :-D
Thu 12/08/04 at 14:10
Regular
I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did Halo. For me it's one of the best game I've played this year, if not the best. Everything about it's just so unique and fresh, it's a nice change from playing yet another FPS with minimal differences to the other 2-hundred-or-so I've played before it.

Halo 2 will probably trounce it, as will Half-Life 2 (maybe even Doom 3 as well), but as it is, it's better than the original Halo, and the majority of FPS' I've played. 7/10 is just ridiculous.
Thu 12/08/04 at 13:54
Regular
"relocated"
Daveus wrote:
> I take it you're from U.S then, as we don't get COR until tommorow.

I got a copy early because I know someone who works for Game.

> You might be wrong about the unarmed missions being boring. How
> would this game be in the hat for best console game of the year if
> critics found any of it boring?

I do think it's excellent but there are too many flaws for it to beat Halo in my opinion, or for it be game of the year. I bought Edge today and they gave it 7/10 and had much the same criticisms I did.
Thu 12/08/04 at 13:29
Regular
err of course they did :P
Thu 12/08/04 at 10:22
Regular
Daveus wrote:
> SR is a UK shop...how did you get COR from them?

They sent it early...
Thu 12/08/04 at 10:13
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I pilphered a demo, and I must say it's fantastic. One thing I like about it is the tiny dot, instead of a huge crosshair that destroys anything that's vaguely inside it - you actually have to be quite precise, and use stealth to get that opportunity. I also like the various ways you can approach a group of enemies. Storming in, shotgun blazing, is just as satisfying as holding back and taking your time. And you never get those situations when two people are standing a foot from each other, pumping each other full of lead for 2 minutes before one does triggers the death animation.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to play the full game tonight, but so far it ro>
Thu 12/08/04 at 10:02
Regular
Daveus wrote:
> So the new OXM is out, and COR is a playable demo on
> the disc? What do you get on the demo?

If you mean on the Riddick demo its the mainframe level, as for the rest of the games there are playables of Thief, Red Star, Full Spectrum Warrior, Mashed and Psi Ops.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.