GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Chronicles of Riddick"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay'.
Wed 11/08/04 at 20:46
Regular
Got this today via SR and I must say, it's fantastic.

Haven't played it much (beat the robot-boss-thing just past the mainframe section), but this is what I expected Halo to be. Not in the style of play, but the level design, atmosphere and general feel of the game. It's amazing, to be frank, what I'd call a wonderful merger between Halo, Slinter Cell and the most beautiful visuals on a home console, and not to mention one of, if not the, best XBox game I've played.

The atmosphere in the prison is just so engrossing and... real. The gameplay is equally impressive, the hand-to-hand combat standing out; not a Goldeneye-esque slap system, you can link combos, use different weapons, etc.

All I have to say, really, is get this game. The lack of multiplayer is a little disappointing as I could see it working very well, but so far I'm happy with it how it is. Very much.
Fri 13/08/04 at 18:01
Regular
It takes place 5 years after Pitch Black but the film is a story of his past and everything that takes place after Butcher Bay but before Pitch Black.
Fri 13/08/04 at 17:35
Regular
"Optical"
If the new chronicles of riddick film is a set befor pitch black why has the young girl who looks like a boy grown up now? think you got that wrong. i know the game is set befor the new film tho
Fri 13/08/04 at 17:28
Regular
Icarus mk2 wrote:
> Uh, never mind.

huh?
Fri 13/08/04 at 17:01
Regular
"hulagadoo"
The new OXM has a playable demo which im going to get, should satisfy me til i get the cash to buy it.
Fri 13/08/04 at 16:34
Regular
Uh, never mind. So I take it OXM isn't worth the cash if you're not buying games from GAME?.
Fri 13/08/04 at 16:23
Regular
I'm near the hanger. Without spoiling it, is that the end of the game? :S
Fri 13/08/04 at 16:17
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Belldandy wrote:
>Official Xbox Magazine has a £5 off
> voucher on the inside front cover for use at a certain GAMEing store,
> meaning it'll only cost £14.99 from there.

Meaning OXM costs £6, meaning you actually lose £1.
Fri 13/08/04 at 11:10
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Had it since the launch in the States, on my 6th way through now.
> Collected all the Cigarette packs and completed all of the
> sub-missions. Best game I have played since Half Life.
>
> I noticed someone said they didn't know how to turn the gun of the
> enemy. The game has a counter system, if you pull the R trigger just
> before they try to hit you you will do a counter move, which will
> take them out in one. Every weapon has a counter move and they can be
> performed whilst blocking so that if you miss time 9 times out of 10
> you won't take damage. Make sure you are trying to counter with a
> similar style weapon though unless you are extremely good at timing
> things, i.e. if you try to counter someone with fists whilst they
> have a shiv or bat you will take damage if not timed. If you have a
> shiv or bat you will be able to block without taking damage.
>
> One other thing, there isn't a cross-hair at all, it is the laser on
> your weapon. They scrapped the idea all together to add more realism
> to the game and it works... until you get the Mini gun.
>
> Another tip, when you can buy the stun gun whatever you do buy it,
> don't think you won't need it. Unlimited ammo and you can even stamp
> on them when they are down to finish them off.
>
> If you think the start is excellent, wait until you head down to
> Maximum Security level 2 and then down to level 3. Without spoiling
> anything the RPG elements end half way through security level 2 and
> then it pretty much irons out as the finest FPS game since Half Life;
> then of course there is the Terminator style Mini gun, oh yes...
>
> Also when you see a Moth, collect it. There is a drug dealer in
> security level 2 who uses the juice from the moths to make poison
> which can be used in the diner later on, he will also give you two
> special cigarette packs for collecting more than 20 moths.
>
>
>
> Other than mastering the counter moves the game is fairly easy.
> Played it on hard my first time through and pretty much breezed
> through it, later on it gets tougher but then again so do you as you
> increase your health and more powerful weapons become available.
>
> One last thing, when you get to the meat grinder, throw the bodies in
> ;)
>
> Message for Daveus...
>
> Escape from Butcher Bay isn't a sequel; it is a prequel to The
> Chronicles of Riddick the film which is a prequel to Pitch Black.
> Also The Chronicles of Riddick isn't the correct title as the Region
> 1 release of Pitch black on DVD is called The Chronicles of Riddick:
> Pitch Black. Both films and the game are part of The Chronicles of
> Riddick series however the film has a sub title of "The
> Aftermath" that seems to have been ignored.
>
> Both the game and the films though are well worth looking into.

Stop it, you're making me dribble.
Fri 13/08/04 at 10:50
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Played the OXM demo and was rather underwhelmed, the graphics didn't exactly wow me because at the end of the day there is so much darkness and it's all enclosed spaces. I found the gun based combat to be a bit iffy, it didn't really feel like your shots were doing a great deal!

Probably some of this negativity is down to the game just not appealing to me, I like FPS, but this just does not bother me much, probably for Pitch Black/Riddick fans it's a lot better. Still I have Sudeki and Black Arrow to look forward to.

Whist we are here, anyone thinking of buying Rainbow Six Black Arrow might want to know that Official Xbox Magazine has a £5 off voucher on the inside front cover for use at a certain GAMEing store, meaning it'll only cost £14.99 from there.
Fri 13/08/04 at 08:51
Regular
Had it since the launch in the States, on my 6th way through now. Collected all the Cigarette packs and completed all of the sub-missions. Best game I have played since Half Life.

I noticed someone said they didn't know how to turn the gun of the enemy. The game has a counter system, if you pull the R trigger just before they try to hit you you will do a counter move, which will take them out in one. Every weapon has a counter move and they can be performed whilst blocking so that if you miss time 9 times out of 10 you won't take damage. Make sure you are trying to counter with a similar style weapon though unless you are extremely good at timing things, i.e. if you try to counter someone with fists whilst they have a shiv or bat you will take damage if not timed. If you have a shiv or bat you will be able to block without taking damage.

One other thing, there isn't a cross-hair at all, it is the laser on your weapon. They scrapped the idea all together to add more realism to the game and it works... until you get the Mini gun.

Another tip, when you can buy the stun gun whatever you do buy it, don't think you won't need it. Unlimited ammo and you can even stamp on them when they are down to finish them off.

If you think the start is excellent, wait until you head down to Maximum Security level 2 and then down to level 3. Without spoiling anything the RPG elements end half way through security level 2 and then it pretty much irons out as the finest FPS game since Half Life; then of course there is the Terminator style Mini gun, oh yes...

Also when you see a Moth, collect it. There is a drug dealer in security level 2 who uses the juice from the moths to make poison which can be used in the diner later on, he will also give you two special cigarette packs for collecting more than 20 moths.

Other than mastering the counter moves the game is fairly easy. Played it on hard my first time through and pretty much breezed through it, later on it gets tougher but then again so do you as you increase your health and more powerful weapons become available.

One last thing, when you get to the meat grinder, throw the bodies in ;)

Message for Daveus...

Escape from Butcher Bay isn't a sequel; it is a prequel to The Chronicles of Riddick the film which is a prequel to Pitch Black. Also The Chronicles of Riddick isn't the correct title as the Region 1 release of Pitch black on DVD is called The Chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black. Both films and the game are part of The Chronicles of Riddick series however the film has a sub title of "The Aftermath" that seems to have been ignored.

Both the game and the films though are well worth looking into.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.