GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"*Uses unusually deep voice* Resident Evil"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Resident Evil'.
Tue 31/08/04 at 14:56
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Completed that a couple of days back and its the first time I have ever really got into a Resident Evil game. Did it with Chris first seeing as it was meant to be more of a challenge and I did find it very enjoyable especially shoving a flash grenade into a Crimson Heads mouth and watching his head explode.

Love and my local Gamestation are selling 0,2 and 3 for 30 pounds so im pretty sure im going to be set for a while.
Thu 16/09/04 at 18:10
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Dringo wrote:
> tphi wrote:
> Pringle28 wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> HCF, Wesker and the fall of Umbrella are vital to the story...
>
> How can you say it isn't???
>
> going into resi 4 what characters are still alive, dead or maybe?
> that goes for bad guys aswell...
>
> Most of them are alive really. Wesker, Jill, Chris, Leon, Barry,
> Rebecca
>
> Not to mention Sherry.
>
> The whole stars team were killed in the first mansion bar Jill, Brad,
> Barry and Chris. Brad was killed in Resident Evil 3. William Birkin
> who was with Wesker in Resident Evil 0 was killed in Resident Evil 2
> along with his wife.

All of the trevors are dead right? and what about the tyrant? there are also a whole load of minor characters im not sure about. Ada, Billy and the various characters from outbreak?
Thu 16/09/04 at 16:11
Regular
tphi wrote:
> Pringle28 wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
>
>
>
> Most of them are alive really. Wesker, Jill, Chris, Leon, Barry,
> Rebecca

Not to mention Sherry.

The whole stars team were killed in the first mansion bar Jill, Brad, Barry and Chris. Brad was killed in Resident Evil 3. William Birkin who was with Wesker in Resident Evil 0 was killed in Resident Evil 2 along with his wife.
Thu 16/09/04 at 15:25
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Pringle28 wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
>
>

Most of them are alive really. Wesker, Jill, Chris, Leon, Barry, Rebecca..
Thu 16/09/04 at 12:34
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Dringo wrote:
>

going into resi 4 what characters are still alive, dead or maybe? that goes for bad guys aswell...
Thu 16/09/04 at 00:11
Regular
HCF, Wesker and the fall of Umbrella are vital to the story...

How can you say it isn't???
Wed 15/09/04 at 17:08
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Dringo wrote:
> I find 2 has little to nothing to do with the story to be honest...
> it showed the fall of the Birkins, the introduction of Leon and
> Claire and that's about it. It wasn't remotley scary either, it got a
> little daft, it wasn't secluded to this unusual mansion it was now
> stuck in a massive city. The seclusion was lost and 3 lost it even
> more.

It had lots to do with the story - the Birkins are a pretty big part, no? Isn't it William Birkin that you can see at the end of Zero, during the Marcus flashback? Plus you find out how the city became infested with the virus. I felt it developed the story of the Umbrella Corporation more than you're giving it credit for.

> Veronica is one of my favourite Resident Evil games. How can you say
> re-introducing Wesker, showing the ashford family and introducing you
> to the demise of Umbrella (thanks to weskers group HCF) as being
> minor storyline points? It was the most story driven chapter in the
> entire game. Utterly amazing at that.

I got the feeling they didn't want to take too many risks and make it a vital game - it's essentially a side quest for Claire. Yes, you meet the Ashfords, but they're a new storyline element for this game. Nobody was awaiting the game to find out what happened to the Ashfords, and who knows what part they'll have to play in later games. Personally, I think very little.

From what I can remember, Wesker didn't show his face all that often in C:V, and he'll most probably still be around for future games. This seems like a detail they added to make it look like it was a big deal. As for the demise of Umbrella, they'll sure as hell be back for more.
Mon 13/09/04 at 23:10
Regular
Blank wrote:
> Nah, 2 was brilliant. It still held the fresh features of the
> original, but improved all the usual areas (ie graphics, more
> atmospheric sound).

I find 2 has little to nothing to do with the story to be honest... it showed the fall of the Birkins, the introduction of Leon and Claire and that's about it. It wasn't remotley scary either, it got a little daft, it wasn't secluded to this unusual mansion it was now stuck in a massive city. The seclusion was lost and 3 lost it even more.

> Code: Veronica I'm not really a fan of. Introducing 3D instead of
> pre-rendered backgrounds wasn't a good move. And you can tell they
> didn't want to do anything drastic for a Dreamcast-only game because
> it really doesn't make all that much difference to the storyline. It
> does have its own distinctive style though, and wasn't bad to play
> through.

Veronica is one of my favourite Resident Evil games. How can you say re-introducing Wesker, showing the ashford family and introducing you to the demise of Umbrella (thanks to weskers group HCF) as being minor storyline points? It was the most story driven chapter in the entire game. Utterly amazing at that.

> The remake was excellent. Excellent.

Best Resi game, narrowly beating Veronica.

> Zero was also good, although like I say, I preferred 2 and the
> remake.

Zero was a class game... but it didn't feel as clever as the re-make.
Mon 13/09/04 at 20:39
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Whoops, didn't mean to scare everyone away.
Thu 09/09/04 at 20:53
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Nah, 2 was brilliant. It still held the fresh features of the original, but improved all the usual areas (ie graphics, more atmospheric sound) and had more innovative elements - like the machine gun and extra inventory slots decision; do you take them now, or leave them for the second phase of the game with the other character? It brought in secondary characters like Ada, Ben, and the sherriff (or whatever he was) who were not only playable in parts but actually meant something to the storyline. Plus there was also the T100 (or whatever he was, again) who followed you round in a Nemesis style during the second scenario. There was more longevity to it as you played through two scenarios for both characters - essentially four versions of the game.

The selling point of three was mainly the Nemesis element, which I found strange because it had already been done in the second. There were the active game choices though, that added something new. Also the whole mixing gunpowder to get bullets thing - although to be honest I wasn't too impressed with that. If any of them are more the "casual" gamer's choice I'd say this one, because there's just the one initial game to play through. That doesn't really do it justice though, what with the in game decisions and all.

Code: Veronica I'm not really a fan of. Introducing 3D instead of pre-rendered backgrounds wasn't a good move. And you can tell they didn't want to do anything drastic for a Dreamcast-only game because it really doesn't make all that much difference to the storyline. It does have its own distinctive style though, and wasn't bad to play through.

The remake was excellent. Excellent.

Zero was also good, although like I say, I preferred 2 and the remake.
Wed 08/09/04 at 00:23
Regular
Blank wrote:
> Finished it last night. Not a bad game. I think I still probably
> prefer 2 though.

I'm not a massive fan of 2 or 3... it's by far the most casual gamers choice...

But lacked the secluded factor.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.