GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"LET IT SETTLE PLEASE"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/06/01 at 17:55
Regular
The underlying problem with the forum is the number of Newbies coming into it. It's becoming more popular.

In time this will make the forums better.

Right now we have to work a little harder to enforce some "rules" or make some minor changes to protect the Prime Topics forum.

Overall we are moving in the right direction. Furthermore, it's only natural that people will lose interest after being here some time.

All suggestions for "tweaking" the site will be most welcome.

Is anybody in favour of making the Prime Topics forum for regulars and notables only?
Mon 11/06/01 at 11:39
Regular
You know what the ranking system should be based on the number of posts they do it should be done on quality.
Mon 11/06/01 at 11:35
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
I think that instead of being for regulars and notables only it should be for people picked out to be sensible and who write good posts. If it were just for regulars then more spamming would ensue and eventually it would be the same. Also the better newbies tend to post quality in small amounts rather than a large amount of drivel. A regular only forum would be unfair as spammers would get in before good newbies. Instead the people already in the 'special' forum could suggest newbies that should be allowed in due to the quality of posts. This would ensure only good posters were allowed in.
Mon 11/06/01 at 00:04
Tony, i believe that this new rule where newbies aren't alowd to post topics in the prime topics orum is a bad idea because as Dan2k1 said newbies can post some interesting posts which deserve to be in the prime topics, so the best thing to do would be to have a word limit which newbies have to reach before the topic can be posted.
Sun 10/06/01 at 23:47
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Just POPPING this.

G'night.
Sun 10/06/01 at 19:53
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Tony wrote:
Is anybody in
> favour of making the Prime Topics
> forum for regulars and notables
> only?

ME!

Testify RBS!
Sun 10/06/01 at 19:50
I reckon that Newbies should be awarded 'points' for things that they post, depending on how good it is. And when they reach a Points mark, as well as a post and words mark, they become a regular.

Being a Novice web designer I know a bit about coding and scripting. Firstly, the thing Spider said about if your post is bad and just blabbers on about something unappropriate you get kicked out for an hour, cannot be done automatically via a script. The computer doesn't know what is good and what is bad, since it can't think on its own, like we can, and can't make sense of things, if you get what I'm saying. It can be done manually, but would mean SR hiring lots of extra staff working 24/7 super hard, which I don't think Tony would be too pleased about.
Sun 10/06/01 at 18:55
Regular
"You've upset me"
Tony wrote:
Is anybody in
> favour of making the Prime Topics forum for regulars and notables
> only?

ME!
Sun 10/06/01 at 18:55
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Modified version of the Slashdot system - Regulars can rate the posts of other users, and as soon as they get over a certain total then they become regulars themselves. This could be corrupted by people who have friends with regular status and keep rating - say, each post can only be rated once, or only certain people can apply ratings for that post (Those people being randomly selected each day).
Sun 10/06/01 at 18:49
I'm sure you will be able to...

That's not really a good idea The Game - as some people won't even been heard of, how would we vote? It's just not right.
Sun 10/06/01 at 18:41
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Just to make it clear, it is TOPICS that Newbies will not be able to create in the Prime Forums. They will still be able to post replies.

(assuming we are able to program this)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.