GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"LET IT SETTLE PLEASE"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/06/01 at 17:55
Regular
The underlying problem with the forum is the number of Newbies coming into it. It's becoming more popular.

In time this will make the forums better.

Right now we have to work a little harder to enforce some "rules" or make some minor changes to protect the Prime Topics forum.

Overall we are moving in the right direction. Furthermore, it's only natural that people will lose interest after being here some time.

All suggestions for "tweaking" the site will be most welcome.

Is anybody in favour of making the Prime Topics forum for regulars and notables only?
Mon 11/06/01 at 19:37
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
The Game: ESTd 1983
Mon 11/06/01 at 19:34
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yes, we have already established this.
Mon 11/06/01 at 19:32
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Newbies SHOULD be allowed to post replies in the prime forum, but not topics.

They need a little time(around 21 days, hehe) to figure out how the site works and where the real topics go and where the non-game relateted ones go.

That should sort the problem out.
Mon 11/06/01 at 18:29
Tony this is a good idea but this will cause spamming in the chat section furthermore i'd like to add something about changing the way you can become a regular....

why not try setting an amount of time that you have to be registered?

therefore stopping spamming from the few stupid JAT's and newbies!
Mon 11/06/01 at 18:20
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Tony wrote:
> (assuming we are able to program this)

*turbonutter clicks his fingers*

####START CODE####

$status = ;//Please put how you identify the status here. There are loads of way that I can't account for.

if ($forumid == "185" and $status == "Newbie" or $status == "Just arrived today") { ?>

Newbies can't post topics on the Future of Gaming (Prime Topics) forum.

####END CODE####

There you go!
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:56
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Ok, so the idea of inventing a brand-new forum just for Regulars and Notables is alright I suppose. But are you bringing the idea across, all you regulars and Notables, that us newbies are becoming a pain in the bottom. Well, it really isn't our fault if our mates recommend this site to us is it? Ok, so I I wasn't recommended at all, but discovered this site thanks to the Special Reserve mag. I used to go around using the alias: Agathie. I was with TinyOnline back then. When I changed to NTL, obviously I had to register again with a brand-new name: Shocktrooper. Anyone who can tell where I got the name Shocktrooper from, will be awarded a game: Charlie Blasts Territory for N64. Nah, just kidding. Although I really would like to get rid of it - pile of...ahem. If any nutter out there is even considering buying this diabolicle game...DON'T!!!! And as for you lot out there who already have this, err...'game', then, the only advice I can give to you is: Don't try hanging yourself - it's really painfull. A gun would do it.
Please, anyone trying to disagree with me, don't waste your time. It's my opinion and probably 99.9% of people agree with me.
Happy Gaming - Shoctrooper.
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:41
Regular
Tony wrote:
> Just to make it clear, it is TOPICS that Newbies will not be able to
> create in the Prime Forums. They will still be able to post
> replies.

(assuming we are able to program this)

No one on this forum should be censored or told they are not good enough, even your elite 7 used to be newbies!!
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:28
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Tony wrote

A decision has been made. Newbies will not be able to start new topics in the Prime Topics forums.

Noooooooo! jd's live is ruined.

Puts gun to head...

...Oh yeah this is just a forum.

Still, I am not going to be able to post anything in prime for ages because unlike some newbies I do not spam to become a regular.

Doomsayers voice rings out;

This rule will encourage spamming and in about a month it will be exactly the same.
Mon 11/06/01 at 15:50
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
SonicRav wrote:
A NEW IDEA would be to have the forum
> moderators (of they are implemented) being the people who award/take
> away these start points.

Erm...read my post a little bit further down this page, made yesterday evening sometime. This is the system Slashdot use to rate posts, and it works well for them.
Mon 11/06/01 at 12:02
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Sniper wrote:
> You know what the ranking system should be based on the number of
> posts they do it should be done on quality.

Exactly what I have been saying! HAve a star point system... every day good posts get one point.. with as few or little being awarded as the posts on that day merit. Points can be taken off members for bad posts.

A NEW IDEA would be to have the forum moderators (of they are implemented) being the people who award/take away these start points.

These points will be displayed in taglines, and will be used when selecting newbies to become regulars (eg. a newbie who has 10 star points and the required number of posts wuould become a reg... a newbie with -1 star points would not!). Also, members can be kicked off if they have too many bad posts (eg. -10 points)

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.