GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"LET IT SETTLE PLEASE"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/06/01 at 17:55
Regular
The underlying problem with the forum is the number of Newbies coming into it. It's becoming more popular.

In time this will make the forums better.

Right now we have to work a little harder to enforce some "rules" or make some minor changes to protect the Prime Topics forum.

Overall we are moving in the right direction. Furthermore, it's only natural that people will lose interest after being here some time.

All suggestions for "tweaking" the site will be most welcome.

Is anybody in favour of making the Prime Topics forum for regulars and notables only?
Sun 10/06/01 at 17:55
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
The underlying problem with the forum is the number of Newbies coming into it. It's becoming more popular.

In time this will make the forums better.

Right now we have to work a little harder to enforce some "rules" or make some minor changes to protect the Prime Topics forum.

Overall we are moving in the right direction. Furthermore, it's only natural that people will lose interest after being here some time.

All suggestions for "tweaking" the site will be most welcome.

Is anybody in favour of making the Prime Topics forum for regulars and notables only?
Sun 10/06/01 at 17:59
"Uzi Lover"
It sounds a good idea to me.

Can it be made read only for newbies at all? so that they know the standerds when they become a regular?
Sun 10/06/01 at 18:00
Regular
"Sexy Mexican Worker"
i think that if you deny access to newbies then they wont stick around, i agree with deleting pointless posts though but only in the prime topic forum
Sun 10/06/01 at 18:01
No. I am not in favour of that at all in anyway as there are plenty of 'newbies' that have some very interesting views and can discuss a lot more proficiently than the regulars and notables in many cases.
I suggest having themes for each week, as I have said in another post around here, also there should be a questionnaire that must be filled in before someone is allowed to join the discussions, and there should be a maximum new member count each week - i.e 30 people maximum being allowed to joing the discussions, having a waiting list or something. SR needs to expand! The game forums aren't getting any attention - the most popular forums are the two fogs, PS2, DVD/LIFE, MUSIC/SPORT etc.

I suggest you have some GENRE forums - whereby beat em up fans can discuss, RPG fans can argue whether PSO is better than FF9, and you could have sport forums, extreme sports forums - all to do with gaming. So GENRE forums would help.

They would be 'open forums' of course.

Dan2K1
Sun 10/06/01 at 18:05
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Tony, You should have a guards on Prime Topics. They would be able to delete pointless topics. And if people are really bad they can chuck them out of SR for 1 hour. I think this would improve SR very highly!

:)
Sun 10/06/01 at 18:07
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Also Tony if it get's too bad you should stop Newbies form typing topics!

Sun 10/06/01 at 18:08
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
I am in favour of this totally. I think that if this was already happening when I first joined I woulkd have been all the better for it.

The only problem I have is the fact that I have just posted a very informative post on Graphics or Gameplay which is better that I will probably find that no one replies to. Why should we bother to post good posts if no one is going to answer them.

I guess I am goign to have to get back into the Prime Topics where people actually appreciate my posts.

(;o|
Sun 10/06/01 at 18:10
Spider II wrote:
> Tony, You should have a guards on Prime Topics. They would be able
> to delete pointless topics. And if people are really bad they can
> chuck them out of SR for 1 hour. I think this would improve SR very
> highly!

Hey! That's MY idea!!!!!
Sun 10/06/01 at 18:12
Hence:

"You should have guards that are able to chuck people out of the prime if they post rubbish. Also, in order to get the discussions heading in one way or another, why not include a 'theme for the week' i.e, 'graphics' 'music in games' and especially topics, regarding the future of gaming, this would also help you to select the GAD winner. Do you see?"

Written at 5:49pm

Please don't steal my ideas.
Sun 10/06/01 at 18:12
Regular
Tony wrote:

"Is anybody in favour of making the Prime Topics forum for regulars and notables only?"

I'm afraid that would make the forums worse. In one forum, for a while, there will be some excellent posting. Then, in the other, newbies will be spamming to become regulars. Then, when they are, they will have no respect for the prime forum, and will continue to post at a low quality.

I think what needs to be changed, if anything, is the way that regulars are "created". Proving that your are able to type 300 posts and 7500 words is silly. Much like someone passing their driving test because they can drive very fast.

The only other alternative of the transfer would be that of quality marking, such as the newbie being selected... but that itself would cause arrogance and elitism.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.