GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What do you think matters more: Gameplay or Graphics??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/06/01 at 16:07
Regular
This has been a well discussed topic, but I feel that after seeing the GC screenshots and videos, it's time to bring it to our attention once again.

My view is sort of....in between. I say that they both matter, and they have to work...with eachother.

I believe that all games need good gameplay, but most games need good graphics as well.

I mean, would N64 fans like Perfect Dark or Goldeneye so much if they had poor graphics??

Would I like MGS so much if it had poor graphics?? Probably.

Gameplay is more important, and graphics are also needed to improve the experience. Well, that's my opinion, anyway.

What are your views??

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Mon 11/06/01 at 18:56
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I totally rule at Maths.
Mon 11/06/01 at 18:51
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
turbonutter wrote:
> Quazimodo wrote:
> This forum is stressful.

True.

No, Maths lessons are stressful. Physics with Votta is stressful. This forum is nothing compared to that!!
Mon 11/06/01 at 18:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Quazimodo wrote:
> This forum is stressful.

True.
Mon 11/06/01 at 18:34
Regular
This forum is stressful.
Mon 11/06/01 at 18:31
Regular
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to post that twice, I must have clicked the button more than once
Mon 11/06/01 at 18:29
Regular
Gameplay should always be a developer's prime concern when programming a new game.

It is true that, in this day and age, a game will not be popular, nor easy to play, unless it has at least reasonably good graphics.

However, I also think that graphics have to be added to gameplay, rather that just creating a fancy 3D engine, then realising a week before the release date that they better put some gameplay in.

I would far prefer to play an "old-fashioned" isometric or 2D game with decent gameplay, than some super-enhanced 3D game that is as tiresome as a dead rat.*

To put this into perspective, the games I have been playing most of recently are the old free infocom games, which have no graphics at all!

See Ya,

PinkPig

*Please note : I hope that any dead rats who happen to be reading this are not offended. Under act 23.54 of the racial discrimination act, 1956, it is stated that, blah, blah, blah... :-)
Mon 11/06/01 at 18:29
Regular
Gameplay should always be a developer's prime concern when programming a new game.

It is true that, in this day and age, a game will not be popular, nor easy to play, unless it has at least reasonably good graphics.

However, I also think that graphics have to be added to gameplay, rather that just creating a fancy 3D engine, then realising a week before the release date that they better put some gameplay in.

I would far prefer to play an "old-fashioned" isometric or 2D game with decent gameplay, than some super-enhanced 3D game that is as tiresome as a dead rat.*

To put this into perspective, the games I have been playing most of recently are the old free infocom games, which have no graphics at all!

See Ya,

PinkPig

*Please note : I hope that any dead rats who happen to be reading this are not offended. Under act 23.54 of the racial discrimination act, 1956, it is stated that, blah, blah, blah...
Sun 10/06/01 at 19:10
Regular
MJswerve wrote:
> Look LL stop congradulating Ant and post something good in his
> thread. 2 lines? I dont think you really like typing much do you .

I've already posted a big post of my thourgts about this topic and we were just having a conversation. And it is a good topic so I thourght I would mention it.
Sun 10/06/01 at 18:58
Personally, I think both the graphics and the gameplay are needed if a game is going to be successful. A game can have absolutely stunning graphics, but if the gameplay just isn't up to par, then it just completly ruins the game.

Game was right when he said that graphics are a part of the gameplay, because if the graphics are pants, than the gameplay can't be portrayed to the gamers properly, so the gameplay is ruined, and so the game itself is ruined.
Sun 10/06/01 at 18:56
Regular
"I like cheese"
The Game wrote:
> GRAPHICS ARE A PART OF THE GAMEPLAY!!!

Most people don't think
> this but I do...

I see gameplay as the OVERALL fun-ness the games
> provides, whether it be 'Good' 'Below Par' or whatever.... Graphics
> are just as important!

Gameplay is good but what is gameplay?!
> Someone please answer me this?! It can't be how good the game is
> because that is measure over lots of things... graphics
> included!!!!

Gameplay INCLUDES graphics.... one isn't better than
> the other... they are both necessary for a good game! You might say
> Chu Chu Rocket doesn't have good graphics.... but they're good
> enough! They don't need to be 3D or the game wouldn't work the same
> way...

Think About it....

>Game

Not exactly. Gameplay is the way the game is controlled, what the plot is, what options you have, what you have to do etc.

Graphics are the icing on the cake, I suppose you could say.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.