GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Interesting discussion about Trolls"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/11/05 at 09:07
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Once paragraph catching my eye: -

"I have the sneaking suspicion that if I asked one and actually got them to take the question seriously, I might get an answer like "I say the things I say because you all need to lighten up." Or "I'm just telling it like it is and you all are persecuting me."

The question then being, why do trolls repeatedly (and many have a history of the same modus operandi across successive message boards) feel the need to position themselves as 'lighteners-up' or 'straight-talkers' in the face of considerable opposition? What is it about these roles that appeals, particularly, to trolls? I suspect it relates, again, to early experiences of relating to one's peers and, as you suggest, putting an ego-protective gloss on what might otherwise be regarded as social failure. More positive to tell oneself 'people are too po-faced/pretentious to handle my edgy humour/no-bulls**t approach' than 'people avoid me because I'm irritating'."

[URL]http://www.barbelith.com/topic/22769[/URL]
Wed 09/11/05 at 12:12
Regular
Am I wrong for thinking it would be very amusing if everyone put Hedfix on ignore, and then to see him still posting a social-life killing 1200+ posts a month?
Wed 09/11/05 at 12:09
Regular
That articles describes Hedfix in a nutshell.

*Trolls*

Goaty should really come back.
Wed 09/11/05 at 11:17
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Unfortunately some come back under a different name after being banned.
Wed 09/11/05 at 11:04
Regular
Light's right. With any forum people come and people go. And with here, they always seem to come back again at some point.
Wed 09/11/05 at 10:27
Regular
"Laughingstock"
So who has been a troll on these forums?
Wed 09/11/05 at 10:21
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Thats too difficult to comment at this time in the morning, I may have a go later on.
Wed 09/11/05 at 10:12
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
This place is much like any forum; it has upturns and downturns.

Personally, it's still my favourite forum due to the huge mix of people you get here. Most of the other boards I frequent are a mixture of academics and trolls with no variation on that theme.
Wed 09/11/05 at 09:49
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I think this place is beyond saving now. Shame we lost so many good posters lately - who knows, a period might come around again when non-mongs are able to post, thus making coming here worthwhile.

Anyway, I thought I was leaving?
Wed 09/11/05 at 09:42
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
monkey_man wrote:
> Pand, lighten up, mate.

And thus, with that single statement, Intelligent Discussion continues to turn into the horror that is General Chat...... :D
Wed 09/11/05 at 09:37
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Pand, lighten up, mate.

EDIT: pretty good read - are they all boffins, or have I read so much on this place that the tiniest amount of good grammar makes them look like geniuses?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.