GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Interesting discussion about Trolls"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/11/05 at 09:07
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Once paragraph catching my eye: -

"I have the sneaking suspicion that if I asked one and actually got them to take the question seriously, I might get an answer like "I say the things I say because you all need to lighten up." Or "I'm just telling it like it is and you all are persecuting me."

The question then being, why do trolls repeatedly (and many have a history of the same modus operandi across successive message boards) feel the need to position themselves as 'lighteners-up' or 'straight-talkers' in the face of considerable opposition? What is it about these roles that appeals, particularly, to trolls? I suspect it relates, again, to early experiences of relating to one's peers and, as you suggest, putting an ego-protective gloss on what might otherwise be regarded as social failure. More positive to tell oneself 'people are too po-faced/pretentious to handle my edgy humour/no-bulls**t approach' than 'people avoid me because I'm irritating'."

[URL]http://www.barbelith.com/topic/22769[/URL]
Thu 10/11/05 at 20:53
Regular
"8==="
I'd agree with that description of Light.

I don't think my opinion of him has been lower than at this current point in time.
Thu 10/11/05 at 19:17
Regular
Light wrote:
> Ms Thraves wrote:
> >
> hahaha!! and i just keep coming up smelling like roses! :D
>
> Presumably, you're aware of just how much manure is required to grow
> roses?

Yes, indeed. The metephorical reference here is just hilarious to me!

Light = manure
Celestine = roses

I guess I have you to thank for "making" me? *two smacks*

("modicus operandi"..I do like that one.)

edit: eh..modus. whatevers..i think that shall go on the tag.
Thu 10/11/05 at 11:42
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Smedlos wrote:

>
> Yes it's carried on into another thread! 2 on the go at once!

Heh. Like I said; 1 per troll per thread. Seems a fair ration...
Thu 10/11/05 at 09:55
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Light wrote:
> Ms Thraves wrote:
> >
>
> Presumably, you're aware of just how much manure is required to grow
> roses?

Yes it's carried on into another thread! 2 on the go at once!
Thu 10/11/05 at 08:52
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Ms Thraves wrote:
>

Presumably, you're aware of just how much manure is required to grow roses?
Thu 10/11/05 at 01:17
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I needed shampoo the other day but the corner shop only had one type so I got it anyway.

Now everywhere I turn I get a lovely smell of cherry.
I balance it out by using bear blood as aftershave to keep up my manly stature.
Wed 09/11/05 at 23:21
Regular
Lulu wrote:
> You're all trolls to me. Big hairy things that stink.

hahaha!! and i just keep coming up smelling like roses! :D
Wed 09/11/05 at 22:09
Regular
It's a fundamental of human nature that people prefer negative attention to no attention at all.

Hence little kids throwing hissy fits, for example. Or the kid in the playground pulling the hair of the girl he likes.

So, somebody isn't really accepted as a part of the community, and they feel the need to be a part of it, on a subconscious level they'd rather be the hated gimp than completely ignored.

I'd also suggest that an element of the motivation is something like that for bullying - the person feels very insecure about their own worth, and by treating other people badly, they can make themselves feel like they're not bottom of the heap.

Human nature sucks.
Wed 09/11/05 at 16:20
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Hedfix wrote:
> Still at-least they spice up the forums a bit.
>
> What's life (or indeed 'Life..') if you can't have a good heated
> discussion every-so-often?

Boring. I enjoy a good heated discussion - go and read the "Warned Eh" thread in Site Bugs for an example (obviously Hedfix et al ignore that)
Wed 09/11/05 at 14:58
Regular
"8==="
Still at-least they spice up the forums a bit.

What's life (or indeed 'Life..') if you can't have a good heated discussion every-so-often?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.