GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Does anyone know anything about joining the army?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/10/05 at 20:31
Regular
Thinking of doing it when I turn 16 and I was just wondering if anyone knows about the various options you can take? I'm sending off for the DVD and such but I was just wondering if anyone here has been or has a family member that's joined hte army.

Cheers.
Sat 22/10/05 at 20:31
Regular
Thinking of doing it when I turn 16 and I was just wondering if anyone knows about the various options you can take? I'm sending off for the DVD and such but I was just wondering if anyone here has been or has a family member that's joined hte army.

Cheers.
Sat 22/10/05 at 20:37
"slightlyshortertagl"
It's a really good idea, until you realise how much of a commitment it is. If you're going in as a private foot-solider type thingy, then you may be better off doing your A-Levels, and going thru Uni with the Army... In the 4-5 years you're at uni they pay you a full army salary. Therefore, £15,000 spending money/year.
Sat 22/10/05 at 20:39
Regular
Normally the Army offer to pay your Uni tuition fees if you study to be in the army. This means that you get regular army pay and a degree, which enables you to enter the forces as a high-ranking officer rather than simply a normal recruit.

If you don't want to go to Uni then you can probably enter beforehand. There are quite a few options at hand, depending on what field you want. I'm not sure if all of the routes are open to you at 16, but, there's usually a variety of things from signals to engineering.

Here's a link from the army.mod.uk site, it's all about careers in the amry when you're 16 : [URL]http://www.army.mod.uk/reme/soldier/career.html[/URL]

EDIT - It's worth bearing in mind, for the Uni option especially, that you have to sign up for a minimum of either 5 or 7 years.
Sat 22/10/05 at 20:49
Regular
"Gamertag = Chavex"
Join the RAF instead!
Sat 22/10/05 at 21:00
Regular
Yeah I would but I don't want to, so instead of posting crap that has no real point don't post at all.
Sat 22/10/05 at 21:02
Regular
You would pwn in the army.
As long as there is no lag and we have the rockets and sniper you would pwn.

:p
Sat 22/10/05 at 21:03
Regular
"Not a Jew"
If you do go into the army, take a course in it - like electrician or similar. My cousin did so, and it means when you come out you have that skill available.
Sat 22/10/05 at 21:04
Regular
RoJ wrote:
> If you do go into the army, take a course in it - like electrician or
> similar. My cousin did so, and it means when you come out you have
> that skill available.

Presuming you don't die, of course.
Sat 22/10/05 at 21:07
Regular
"Captain to you."
Go in to your local armed forces office and chat to the army bloke, they are pretty good and they give you loads of information. Or if you don't have one phone the number on one of the million Tv ads they run these days and ask for more information.

I was going to joining the RAF but the commitment was 9 years for the position i was going for and if you wanted to get out early you had to pay quite a lot of money.
Sat 22/10/05 at 21:07
Regular
Exactly what I was planning to do, though learning the skills at Uni whil'st being paid tuision fees doesn't sound like a half bad idea.

Cheers for all the info guys and Oddtoe.

EDIT : Aimed at RoJ

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.