GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TV License Fee"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/10/05 at 13:08
Regular
"SOUP!"
I'm wanting to get a telly in my room at uni (cheaper than getting drunk with fools every night) but seeing as I'm only here until May/June then it seems silly to pay a full years license fee. Is it possible to pay by monthly installments so I can terminate the license in june and get it a little cheaper?

Thanks in advance.
Mon 17/10/05 at 14:46
Regular
"SOUP!"
Nope, the uni is too cheap for that.
Mon 17/10/05 at 14:24
Regular
Para; don't you get like a wall socket (to an external ariel) to plug the television into?
Mon 17/10/05 at 13:55
Regular
"SOUP!"
I tried to tune my telly in yesterday and I can't get a bloody signal. I even borrowed one of those booster antennas off a mate and can't get funk all.

I'm not paying a license for static. I'll just use it for ps2 and dvds instead!
Mon 17/10/05 at 13:47
Regular
"..."
gamesfreak wrote:
> lcarus wrote:
> In fact, even if they caught you with a TV, you can just say it's
> for
> games.
>
> It won't rub off.
>
> They charge you the lisence regardless of what you use it for, if the
> TV is capable of receiving a transmission and it is plugged in,
> you've got to pay the fee. Even if you don't watch the BBC, the TV is
> still able to receive the signal, hence why they're pretty strict on
> it.

There's a slight loophole in that rule. If you don;t have an external aerial (or dish) on your house (unlikely) or an internal aerial anywhere in the house, then they can't claim you're able to recieve a signal.
Mon 17/10/05 at 11:24
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Dont pay it, you well then have the thrill of license dodging while watching tv.
Mon 17/10/05 at 00:22
Regular
I remember when I bought a video card from Argos once and they messed up my name for the order, so I got a letter one day saying I had to pay for a tv license. If you just bought a tv and they sent you a letter, would you just phone them up and say you use it with your dvd player/console and they would accept that and leave you alone, or would they put you on a monitor list to make sure.

I wonder how much money they waste trying to make people pay the license.
Mon 17/10/05 at 00:13
Regular
well I wouldnt want to pay the BBC £32.25 for months I'm not going to be watching.
Sun 16/10/05 at 23:37
Regular
lcarus wrote:
> In fact, even if they caught you with a TV, you can just say it's for
> games.

It won't rub off.

They charge you the lisence regardless of what you use it for, if the TV is capable of receiving a transmission and it is plugged in, you've got to pay the fee. Even if you don't watch the BBC, the TV is still able to receive the signal, hence why they're pretty strict on it.
Sun 16/10/05 at 20:43
Regular
monthly direct debit is mucked up.
You end up paying the whole fee by March, in monthly installments of £25 as aposed to £12.
This is only the case if its your 1st license, which is the case in mine, dunno if i'll get a refund in june.
But all the payments are like this for 1st time license buyers.
Sun 16/10/05 at 18:30
They give you warnings whether you have a TV or not. I was bombarded with them when I lived in halls. Fact is, chances are near impossible that they'll catch you. And even then you can refuse entry; it's too much hassle to get a warrant just to check if you have one or not.

In fact, even if they caught you with a TV, you can just say it's for games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.