GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Short Story Competition 31"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/08/05 at 14:18
Regular
"not dead"
The rules:

Enter as many times as you like, and it can be as long as you like, but if I'm not interested by the time I have to scroll down the screen, I won't read the rest.

I'll judge on the weekend of the 10th/11th, so entries in before then please.

And the topic is:

Blood in the snow

That doesn't mean it has to be about murder and mutilation, by the way. Or self-harming. I won't read any stories that go "I cut myself because I am sad, and I want attention," but if they're forced to harm themselves for other reasons, gnaw off an arm to free themselves from a wreckage, for instance, that's okay.

RESULTS

Fantastic entries, very high standard this time, many were a joy to read. Had trouble picking a winner from the last three, all of which were very strong. Special mention for Styke for mocking self-harming. 4 REAL.

Runners up:

tnc: - Noble trades are no more
FFF: - Escape

Winner:

unknown kernel: - At the Bottom of a Flask
Sun 11/09/05 at 19:05
Regular
You do realise you've interrupted ITV1's brilliant 'Blank Screen' show, don't you ;)

I'm sure it's rewarding to get something like a tv script accepted by a major tv channel and beamed around the UK. Tell me, as I'm not entirely sure; are you a writer by profession?
Sun 11/09/05 at 19:03
Regular
"not dead"
Late night. I think the new series is scheduled for midnight - which is a little earlier than the last series. By about half an hour.
Sun 11/09/05 at 18:50
Regular
Shows how much I knew about it

What time does the programme usually screen then? Late nights or the pre-watershed slots.
Sun 11/09/05 at 18:45
Regular
"not dead"
tnc wrote:

> EDIT # 2 - I saw 'Shoot the Writers!' advertised on ITV1 a few days
> back, though I wasn't up to see it. I didn't realise they'd started
> screening already.

The first series is now coming to the end of its repeat run.

The new series starts on the last Thursday of the month, but I don't yet know which week I'm on.
Sun 11/09/05 at 18:34
Regular

I agree with what you said in that you haven't seen everyone's and understand the 'joy' of a large project with a deadline looming up.

I was really more interested about placing it at the end of the competition, like a little rundown of results, just so people know how they've done.

Just a little thought.

EDIT - Ah. I asked about candidates for the moment, sorry about that one.

My bad.

EDIT # 2 - I saw 'Shoot the Writers!' advertised on ITV1 a few days back, though I wasn't up to see it. I didn't realise they'd started screening already.
Sun 11/09/05 at 18:31
Regular
"not dead"
tnc wrote:
>
> I'd like to know who Meka thinks are the top candidates for the
> moment. And I'll ask this, will you do a rundown of the top five
> Meka?

Well it would be unfair to write a top five, as there are still a couple of stories I've not read - I'm working like crazy on a huge project at the mo, so can't dedicate a straight period of time ot reading. But I do have a number of strong stories on a list for further consideration once I've been through them all.

But I will let you know that you're currently on that list.
Sun 11/09/05 at 18:27
Regular
Not particularly, you just have to adapt the style slightly. Basically, it needs to be something atmospheric rather than trying to build something like a dialogue-heavy piece into it.

Pratice makes perfect though, don't be put off by not winning.
Sun 11/09/05 at 18:24
Regular
"Cool!"
I'll probebly come last.

Blood In The Snow was a hard subject.
Sun 11/09/05 at 18:07
Regular
Too many people asked ... no begged ... for more time, even though they've had weeks and so he decided to postpone it until tomorrow.

Never fear, judging tomorrow.

I'd like to know who Meka thinks are the top candidates for the moment. And I'll ask this, will you do a rundown of the top five Meka?
Sun 11/09/05 at 18:07
Regular
"Captain to you."
because i assume he has a life, he said he would judge sometime today he has 6 more hours.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.