GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sim-free Mobile help, please"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/08/05 at 19:41
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I've had my trusty old 3310 for the past 3 years now, and it's served me very well over the course of time. Sadly though, the battery life is coming quickly to and end now. I see more sense in getting an all-new phone now, rather than a brand-new battery pack.

The trouble is, I don't know where to look nowadays. Special Reserve used to have some decent prices on sim-free phones, but now they're all gone.

I'm finally going to enter this 'new generation' and all that, but I still want a fairly bog-standard text-and-call phone, you know?
All the very basic neccesities, plus a camera and adaptability with polyphonic ringtones (although I normally leave my phone on silent anyway, I've had more than enough of 'bleep-bleep-bleep, bleep-bleep, BLEEEEEEEEEP').

I'd rather stick to buying on-line, since I don't want to negotiate a contract or anything and I'd prefer to keep my own sim card, if I can (at the very least, to stick with Vodafone).

Where are the best places to look, on-line, these days then?

Here are a few I have come across in my travels though:

[URL]http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=search&searchtype=ELEC&searchstring=nokia+6100&page=search[/URL] for the Nokia 6100. No camera??

[URL]http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=ELEC&title=681073&p=288&g=372&pa=genbrw[/URL] for the Nokia 3120.
What does it mean, 'camera can be purchased seperately'?

[URL]http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=ELEC&title=639255&p=288&g=372&pa=genbrw[/URL] for the Siemens SF65.
The price is a little off-putting for me, but damn, it's quite tempting...

[URL]http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006OQZJU/ref=br_lf_ce_15/202-5809284-5728615[/URL] for the Nokia 2650.
I like the price, but I think the phone's quite ugly; I hate flip-up phones like this. Don't think it has a camera either?

[URL]http://www.cheapphonesonline.co.uk/?submitted=yes&o=2&q=nokia+7250[/URL] for the Nokia 7250i.
This is probably my favourite of the lot. It seems to have all I want, the price seems good - but what about the retailer? Who the heck are they!?
I think SR used to sell this one.

I'd like some opinions of these phones, please. Or, if you know of any better, I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm mainly looking at Nokia phones because I trust them. Their prices aren't too high, and, frankly, I don't seem them of as much of a 'chav phone' anymore - unlike Motorola!
If you can find me better prices - even better!

Thanks very much for your time in reading this, and your help. :)
Mon 22/08/05 at 10:11
Regular
"SOUP!"
and whats "ftw" ?
Mon 22/08/05 at 10:11
Regular
"SOUP!"
Thats the walkman phone thing isnt it?
Mon 22/08/05 at 07:35
Regular
Sony Ericsson ftw.

Currently got an S700i, g/f's got the K750i and I think I'll be picking up the W800i once my Contract is done next Month.
Mon 22/08/05 at 06:40
"Tesco value"
but the screen is so small and low res!

I just brought a sony ericsson k750i, and the camera is great and it's easy to use
Sun 21/08/05 at 23:25
Regular
Oswaldo! wrote:
> After much deliberation and several hours of many different web pages
> and phone models, right now, the Nokia 6230i (at around £150
> sim-free) is the number one choice. I like the 6230, but then I
> figure I may aswell go for the 'i' since it's an updated version with
> more, basically.

Are you me?

I was hunting for phones about an hour and a half ago, and that's the exact same one that took my fancy.
Sun 21/08/05 at 22:44
Regular
"SOUP!"
I have one of those memory thing phones, but it kept crashing.
Sun 21/08/05 at 22:40
"Tesco value"
you can have my nokia 7710 smart phone touchscreen for £200

unlocked to all networks and a 512mb MMC card!
Sun 21/08/05 at 22:33
Regular
"SOUP!"
thats too long and I cant be bothered reading it, I feel I've been helpful enough already.

I'm selling my phone if you're interested (fully boxed and stuff) it's on O2 but can be unlocked for £10.

I'm downgrading to a Nokia 1100 for university to raise some extra cash.

let me know if you're interested - my email is [email protected]
Sun 21/08/05 at 22:20
Regular
"Long time no see!"
After much deliberation and several hours of many different web pages and phone models, right now, the Nokia 6230i (at around £150 sim-free) is the number one choice. I like the 6230, but then I figure I may aswell go for the 'i' since it's an updated version with more, basically.

But I've also noticed the 6610i, which comes around £100 even cheaper...
I'm not sure how everything compares to the 6230i, but it does have a camera, video and I really like the look of it. Unfortunately, MP3s are really tempting me with the other one....

I would've been happy with a 7250i or 6220 - had I not realised phones today can actually utilise this! :P

The Carphone Warehouse site has been of great help to me, along with the official Nokia one. They also seem to (mainly) have the best prices on-line. Although I have seen some of their prices beaten, thanks to Kelkoo, and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on these sites:

One Day Mobile
Live Telecoms
Fone Planet
eBuyer
Mobile Fun
expansys
Direct Mobile Accesories

I've checked a couple, briefly, and they seem to have security in order. That's one thing. But then, I guess you have to consider stock, delivery times, p&p (which most add on-top), etc.

Perhaps it would be easier for me to select a phone first and THEN go price-hunting? Yeah, if only that were such an easy thing on its own! :)

I suppose I really have to ask myself: Is MP3 compatability really that important to me? Sure, I'd like to have some decent ringtones for a change, but look at all the other stuff you get with it - stuff I know I would NEVER use.

I really want a camera function though, whatever the score. I know some have better qualities than others, but are you only able to connect to a PC to print on certain models with this, not all of them?
Thu 11/08/05 at 20:30
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Thanks, Paradox. I'll bear it all in mind, but I've strangely become less-and-less outgoing since I passed my driving test, perhaps too relient on internet purchases to get me through. We'll have to see. I don't normally go out with a purpose, I think of it as rather wasteful to go for just one, short, single thing. :P

Anyway, it looks as if that auction has ended, unfortunately. I finally created an eBay account last month so, at some point, I may well be looking to start using it... :)

But still...

SONY... Eriksson....

I don't get along with those things as individuals; I don't want to find out what kind of evil force they could be when combined together! :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.