GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sim-free Mobile help, please"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/08/05 at 19:41
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I've had my trusty old 3310 for the past 3 years now, and it's served me very well over the course of time. Sadly though, the battery life is coming quickly to and end now. I see more sense in getting an all-new phone now, rather than a brand-new battery pack.

The trouble is, I don't know where to look nowadays. Special Reserve used to have some decent prices on sim-free phones, but now they're all gone.

I'm finally going to enter this 'new generation' and all that, but I still want a fairly bog-standard text-and-call phone, you know?
All the very basic neccesities, plus a camera and adaptability with polyphonic ringtones (although I normally leave my phone on silent anyway, I've had more than enough of 'bleep-bleep-bleep, bleep-bleep, BLEEEEEEEEEP').

I'd rather stick to buying on-line, since I don't want to negotiate a contract or anything and I'd prefer to keep my own sim card, if I can (at the very least, to stick with Vodafone).

Where are the best places to look, on-line, these days then?

Here are a few I have come across in my travels though:

[URL]http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=search&searchtype=ELEC&searchstring=nokia+6100&page=search[/URL] for the Nokia 6100. No camera??

[URL]http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=ELEC&title=681073&p=288&g=372&pa=genbrw[/URL] for the Nokia 3120.
What does it mean, 'camera can be purchased seperately'?

[URL]http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=ELEC&title=639255&p=288&g=372&pa=genbrw[/URL] for the Siemens SF65.
The price is a little off-putting for me, but damn, it's quite tempting...

[URL]http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006OQZJU/ref=br_lf_ce_15/202-5809284-5728615[/URL] for the Nokia 2650.
I like the price, but I think the phone's quite ugly; I hate flip-up phones like this. Don't think it has a camera either?

[URL]http://www.cheapphonesonline.co.uk/?submitted=yes&o=2&q=nokia+7250[/URL] for the Nokia 7250i.
This is probably my favourite of the lot. It seems to have all I want, the price seems good - but what about the retailer? Who the heck are they!?
I think SR used to sell this one.

I'd like some opinions of these phones, please. Or, if you know of any better, I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm mainly looking at Nokia phones because I trust them. Their prices aren't too high, and, frankly, I don't seem them of as much of a 'chav phone' anymore - unlike Motorola!
If you can find me better prices - even better!

Thanks very much for your time in reading this, and your help. :)
Thu 25/08/05 at 22:14
Regular
But, argh. I don't like buying off of eBay, especially parting with that much money for a mobile phone which should be 70 quid more expensive.

I hope it arrives soon.
Thu 25/08/05 at 22:12
Regular
I like it because it looks good and isn't a flip phone (I HATE them).
Oh, and because it has lots of stuff.

And I don't care if there's better phones, it's a hell of a lot better than this behemoth:

[URL]http://www.cellink.com.au/products/images/nokia_6210.jpg[/URL]

It's more than 5 inches tall and really annoying, but it has my uber high score on Snake 2 (which I can't remeber at this point).
Thu 25/08/05 at 22:08
munn wrote:
> I bought the 6230i.
>
> [URL]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-NOKIA-6230i-UNLOCKED-SIM-FREE-CAMERA-PHONE_W0QQitemZ6426320361QQcategoryZ22325QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/URL]

I was thinking of getting this phone. WHy? Nice buttons. Seriously. Most phones with packed features don't have comfy buttons, making dialling and navigating, the most commonly used tasks, annoying.

But I've decided to wait it out until the first GPS phone comes out.
Thu 25/08/05 at 18:58
Regular
My phone hasn't arrived yet.
But it said fromt eh very start that it should be 2nd Class delivery, so that makes me feel a bit better.
Thu 25/08/05 at 17:25
"Tesco value"
it's not worth trying to sell it mate, pass it on to someone or be good and recycle it
Thu 25/08/05 at 17:17
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Oh! And what do you reckon I should try and do with my old sim-free 3310?

The battery's well-and-truly knackered, but do you reckon there's a chance it could sell at all on eBay? If so, what price could I get?
Thu 25/08/05 at 17:15
Regular
"Long time no see!"
At 15.10 yesterday afternoon, I ordered the Nokia 6610i, sim-free, from OneDayMobile.com for about £100, inclusive of delivery.

Just before lunchtime this morning... IT ARRIVES! :D

I was pleased enough to see such great service from a company I was, admittedly, a little concerned over (well, you always are these days). But it's just what I wanted. Decent camera, everything's newer than the 3310, polyphonic ringtones aren't, so I find, quite so bad.

It'll to for me what I need to - and not a lot else more.

Perfect! :D

I'm happy to say I would reccomend the site to anyone looking for a quick, sim-free mobile after my success story. All I need now, though, is a leather case to go with it - which they don't sell...

Also, where's the best place to go for good-quality and affordable polyphonic ringtones these days?
Mon 22/08/05 at 22:51
Regular
I bought the 6230i.

[URL]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-NOKIA-6230i-UNLOCKED-SIM-FREE-CAMERA-PHONE_W0QQitemZ6426320361QQcategoryZ22325QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/URL]

I'm a bit nervy about it, as the most I've ever spent on eBay was about 10 quid, but 100% 300+ feedback should be OK (shouldn't it?)

It's jsut that the guy has a Lithuaninan name or something (bah), and it wouldn't fit in the transfer box on the TSB internet banking site :(
Mon 22/08/05 at 20:43
Regular
"\\"
For the win.
Mon 22/08/05 at 20:43
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I have no idea what "ftw" means either...?
(Then again, why would I! :) )

I've gone back on myself again - I'm gonna forget the 6230i now and instead go for the cheaper option; the 6610i.

It has just what I need and not a lot more. The £100 average is about right for me too. It has a camera - perhaps not that brilliant, but hey, I plan on buying a half-decent digital camera for photos anyway. This'll just be for 'fun', you know.
No MP3 player, but I've decided, after all, that's not all that neccesary. Fussing over ringtones is not for me - I generally have my phone vibrating on silent in public anyhow! :)

Just waiting for a couple of sites to get back to me with their enquiries. OneDayMobile and Fone Planet are the ones I'm looking at - they seem harmless enough, and one has decent ratings too.

All I really want is a knew and reliable phone - there's no need for me to go over the top here.

...And I am also known as "nnum" across the 'net, you may be interested to know. :P

You could be my sister aswell - if you wanted to...
You see, her birthday's this week and she's after a new phone aswell, without a single clue as to what she really wants or what she should be looking for. Actually, it's my mumm who'll be buying it....

;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.