GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Top 10 Sci-fi movies, like, EVER... and stuff"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/08/05 at 23:38
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
[URL]http://www.theshiznit.co.uk[/URL]

Got a new guy writing stuff for the site, an American dude called Chris. He's pretty cool, he likes lists. Don't we all? So enjoy his list of the Top 10 Sci-fi movies of all time, and feel free to disagree vehemently in the comments section so I can totally see how popular I am.

Personally? I've seen two of the top ten. Whoops. I'm quite lame when it comes to Sci-fi. I'm always gonna argue for Jurassic Park to be in any list of top whatevers, just cos it rules.

For Goaty: the most audacious opening shot ever, I cried at Eternal Sunshine, etc etc etc. Your own little paragraph.
Fri 12/08/05 at 13:03
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Neal is innocent.

...because he probably didn't waste his time in Media Studies, watching The Wicker Man.
Fri 12/08/05 at 13:00
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Film genre is sketchy at the best of time, it's for the most part a waste of time. You're telling me if you label it as a Sci-fi/Western, which isn't specifically wrong, it can't be labelled a fantasy? Doesn't work like that I'm afraid, it's just one of those films that isn't easily categorised.

Oh, and I trump your Media A-level with a BAHons course in Film Studies, so there.

Neal is innocent.
Fri 12/08/05 at 12:56
Regular
We had an entire lesson on "What Genre is Star Wars"... a waste of time, but an interesting waste of time.

There was even a small documentary made about it.
Fri 12/08/05 at 12:42
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Dringo wrote:
> I've been through this during media studies in A-Level.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dringo's opinion = void
Fri 12/08/05 at 12:38
Regular
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> It's not a sci-fi. It might be fiction, but it's certainly not based
> in the realms of science, is it? It's purposely distanced from our
> own universe ("a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far
> away...") which gives it the license to revel in fantasy without
> worrying about whether or not it's feasible or not. To me, sci-fi
> only succeeds if you believe it's happening in our world, our
> universe.

It is a science fiction/western that is its genre. Doctor Who stories set in alien worlds are still found under the science fiction section as are the Star Wars stories.

Science Fiction is not to be taken literally. It is supposed to deal with scientific themes, scientific discovers that have not been discovered yet being used as one of the main elements in the story.

X-wings, Naboo Starfighters, LightSabres, men dressed in robotic light suits, space stations, droids and aliens are all parts of science fiction. I've been through this during media studies in A-Level.

It is not a fantasy, it is a sci-fi with elements of a Western movie. That is what it is.
Fri 12/08/05 at 12:29
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Chr1s wrote:
> pb wrote:
> Ah, the Robocop Director's Cut is fantastic. A classic.
>
> It really is incredibly violent. I'd never seen the cut version
> before I bought it and I was genuinely shocked at how gory it was.
> The scene in which Murphy is killed is quite sickening

not as gloriously hilarious as the scene when ED-209 screws up at that presentation and shoots that dude.
in the edited version it was funny enough, but after the additional 10 seconds worth of piling bullets into his body, that voice calling "get a paramedic" is even more wonderfully pointless.
well, it WOULD be if we didn't learn that they can apparantly bring back coppers with holes in their brains :D
Fri 12/08/05 at 12:12
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Exactly - science, but not a true story.

Although EP1 gets a bit technical with those things in the blood. Jesus.
Fri 12/08/05 at 12:09
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
It's not really a sci-fi. It might be fiction, but it's certainly not based in the realms of science, is it? It's purposely distanced from our own universe ("a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...") which gives it the license to revel in fantasy without worrying about whether or not it's feasible or not. To me, sci-fi only succeeds if you believe it's happening in our world, our universe.
Fri 12/08/05 at 01:05
Regular
Star Wars is a sci-fi...

It involves space travel, aliens, light weapons.... all science fiction topics and it is also a fictional story.
Thu 11/08/05 at 21:48
Regular
"0228"
I watched Cash in the Attic the other day and the brother of the guy who plays Chewbacca was on it. He only wanted to make £1000. Chewbacca is too selfish to help his brother out.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.