GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"F.E.A.R single player demo"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/08/05 at 23:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Jesus christ that's impressive.
Possibly the first game since Half-Life 2 that I absolutely must own the morning of purchase.
Played it for 10mins (up for work in 4hrs) only but...lordy that's special.
Graphically top-notch, the lighting and shadows are unbelievable. The characters look scarily real and the intro is superb being driven up in the car.
And what I liked most of all, what made it for me? Being in the 1st person viewpoint as usual but having your view restricted to genuine head/neck movement area when looking around stationary.
Try it during the lab bit with the 2 soldiers and the science dude, I could only look so far left and right because I couldn't move my body.
That won't mean a whole bunch to anybody else, but it's the first time I've felt like I was genuinely in the world instead of some hyper 360degree owl-man.

And the standard tutorial/walkthrough section you get in all good FPS where you're handheld through scenarios to introduce features is very well done, especially when I saw...well...I wont spoil it but it made me jump and I wanted out that room fast.
The AI is fantastic too, replayed the 1st shooty encounter 4 or 5 times to see what would happen and they reacted differently each time.
The very first time I unloaded a machinegun clip into one soldier, and the 2nd came roll-diving through the window to shoot at me, making his way to boxes for cover. I took him down eventually and he collapses spraying bullets into the ceiling causing damage to the plaster.
The 2nd time, I pistol shot the 1st guy and the 2nd came out through the door.
3rd time I headshot the 1st guy, 2nd guy booted the door open but wouldn't come out, I couldnt' see him so I switched the flashlight on
"Hey, a flashlight!" and budda-budda-budda, he shoots at me.

And the slow-motion feature beats Max Payne hands down.
I love, and I mean love shooting in that state, the ripples through the air of the bullets, the slowed down speech, the environment exploding around you with sparks and explosions and shrapnel and collapsing boxes and shelves.
Try lobbing a grenade in slow-motion, the flickering flames lighting the wall as you shotgun another guy who flies back knocking a filing cabinet over that topples into the lockers.
And it happens differently each time, not scripted destruction scenes.

If you have broadband, you really really should play this demo.
Round of applause for F.E.A.R
Mon 08/08/05 at 23:47
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I may upgrade my graphics card to get the most out this one, even though my exsisting card is more than up to the job, I want to see how it look with everything at full whack (I'm currently playing the demo on medium settings).
Mon 08/08/05 at 23:18
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Chippxero wrote:
> Rolling dice over and over is more entertaining than HL2.
>
> What settings did you have it all on? I get 30-45 FPS in action and
> out of it, but i have everything on max including AA and AF, but with
> shadows on medium.

Everything I think is medium set. AA and AF is most def off for me.
Mon 08/08/05 at 23:09
Regular
"Captain to you."
Rolling dice over and over is more entertaining than HL2.

What settings did you have it all on? I get 30-45 FPS in action and out of it, but i have everything on max including AA and AF, but with shadows on medium.
Mon 08/08/05 at 23:03
Regular
"where's my tag?"
My machine can just cope in a smooth manner with the demo (the engine will prolly go through further optimizations before release). My system and the frames per second infomation are below. The game (at this demo stage) is more demanding than Doom 3 which I got a solid 60fps with no stress (may go higher if I disable the limiter. Or may not).

3800+ Athlon64
1GB pc3200 Ram
Gigabyte 6600GT Turbo Edition
A8N-SLI Motherboard

Around Medium Graphics Stuff Selected
-------------------------------------
= 30-35fps in-action (still smooth gameplay).
= 35-40 when nothing is happening (smooth gameplay).

I hope this game gets a score like 96%. The short gameplay I've played was the best thing since the original Half-Life. The 'AI' is bloody organic, and walls get real holes blown in to them (one of the best features). The scary bits were shared between genuine and predictable moments because of the following. I wasn't scared by the girl when she appeared a few times because games magazines have printed over 100 screenshots of in-game areas, which has spoilt it a tad (never read about a game you want to love. Ever).

This might or might not be going too far but I would put my money on this having more enjoyable gameplay than Half-Life 2.
Mon 08/08/05 at 22:09
Regular
I might have to check that my Internet time synchronization is actually working properly..

Edit: Well that's going to be off permanently from now on.. :D
Mon 08/08/05 at 22:06
Regular
"Touched!"
Check your windows time/date..make sure it's set right :) Known problem!
Mon 08/08/05 at 21:44
Regular
Nah I downloaded it off yahoo I think I'll just have to redownload it because somebody said the file was replaced on the gamershell link.
Mon 08/08/05 at 21:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
If you download the demo from a site instead of P2P, you'll have no problems.
Mon 08/08/05 at 21:31
Regular
Problem solved.
Mon 08/08/05 at 21:23
Regular
"Touched!"
Nice pic I took earlier..these mothers look mean! [URL] http://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fear4kb.jpg [/URL]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.