GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"F.E.A.R single player demo"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/08/05 at 23:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Jesus christ that's impressive.
Possibly the first game since Half-Life 2 that I absolutely must own the morning of purchase.
Played it for 10mins (up for work in 4hrs) only but...lordy that's special.
Graphically top-notch, the lighting and shadows are unbelievable. The characters look scarily real and the intro is superb being driven up in the car.
And what I liked most of all, what made it for me? Being in the 1st person viewpoint as usual but having your view restricted to genuine head/neck movement area when looking around stationary.
Try it during the lab bit with the 2 soldiers and the science dude, I could only look so far left and right because I couldn't move my body.
That won't mean a whole bunch to anybody else, but it's the first time I've felt like I was genuinely in the world instead of some hyper 360degree owl-man.

And the standard tutorial/walkthrough section you get in all good FPS where you're handheld through scenarios to introduce features is very well done, especially when I saw...well...I wont spoil it but it made me jump and I wanted out that room fast.
The AI is fantastic too, replayed the 1st shooty encounter 4 or 5 times to see what would happen and they reacted differently each time.
The very first time I unloaded a machinegun clip into one soldier, and the 2nd came roll-diving through the window to shoot at me, making his way to boxes for cover. I took him down eventually and he collapses spraying bullets into the ceiling causing damage to the plaster.
The 2nd time, I pistol shot the 1st guy and the 2nd came out through the door.
3rd time I headshot the 1st guy, 2nd guy booted the door open but wouldn't come out, I couldnt' see him so I switched the flashlight on
"Hey, a flashlight!" and budda-budda-budda, he shoots at me.

And the slow-motion feature beats Max Payne hands down.
I love, and I mean love shooting in that state, the ripples through the air of the bullets, the slowed down speech, the environment exploding around you with sparks and explosions and shrapnel and collapsing boxes and shelves.
Try lobbing a grenade in slow-motion, the flickering flames lighting the wall as you shotgun another guy who flies back knocking a filing cabinet over that topples into the lockers.
And it happens differently each time, not scripted destruction scenes.

If you have broadband, you really really should play this demo.
Round of applause for F.E.A.R
Wed 12/10/05 at 13:18
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Well trhis is download/install attempt #3. Itching to check the sp demo out, but in the last 2 install attempts I keep getting an installer error whineing about the installer currently still being in use? (2 files from 2 different sources now). If al else fails, I'll just have to wait for the final release!:(
Wed 12/10/05 at 12:26
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Memorandum! wrote:
> dual core for gaming?
> Why spend the extra when all games are single threaded and will be
> for a few years? A single-core 3800+ will be faster and cheaper.

Exactly. That FX57 is winking at me. And making lewd gestures. The dirty slapper.....
Wed 12/10/05 at 12:16
Regular
"Captain to you."
Woo only a few days left.

[URL]http://artpad.art.com/gallery/?io8uprv04ms[/URL]
Thu 18/08/05 at 19:48
Regular
"bot"
Game wrote:
> I'm tempted to go all out and get an Athlon 4200

dual core for gaming?
Why spend the extra when all games are single threaded and will be for a few years? A single-core 3800+ will be faster and cheaper.

An X2 4200 is effectively 2x 3200+, so in games it = 3200+ performance.
The difference is...a 3200+ is a third of the price.
Thu 18/08/05 at 19:41
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Game wrote:
> Deluxe MOBO and MAYBE 4GB of RAM...

Why on earth pay for 4gb of ram?
Mon 15/08/05 at 20:14
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
F.E.A.R Makes my PC cry never mind me.

I'm a little out of date with a 2.4 P4, 1GB RAM, 9600XT and what have you...

Still, it runs.. technically..

Hopefully with my next pay-check i'll be able to think about getting a new rig.

I'm tempted to go all out and get an Athlon 4200/7800GTX SLi/A8N SLi Deluxe MOBO and MAYBE 4GB of RAM... I've yet to confer with my PC Geek friends. it'll be expensive but it should play most things for a good few years....

Hopefully.
Mon 15/08/05 at 10:29
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Wow, that is a good game. So much more flexible than the other FPS's I've played aswell.

God, the bit when the girl just stares at you when you climb down the ladder...I urinated everywhere.
Sun 14/08/05 at 21:30
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Ha.

Goatboy's reaction is exactly how I felt after seeing a trailor or whatever.
Thu 11/08/05 at 02:50
Regular
Holy crap. Even though I'd read what Creepy'd said about the girl and the ladder, it still made me jump quite a bit. Was a great demo though, despite almost being too p**** whipped to walk down the final corridor after being shrieked at by that girl at 2:30 in the morning.

Couldn't be that much more different from NOLF really.
Wed 10/08/05 at 14:58
Regular
"serenity now!"
After seeing the difference in his game, I might see what turning shadows off in BF2 does too. I run at 30-40 fps on that, which is a bit low.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.