GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Movie Flaws - why so many of them?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/08/05 at 09:47
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
It might be because I am taking three science A-levels at the moment, but have you noticed the amount of flaws in movies lately? Or things that don't quite add up. OK, most of them are completely ficticious but some of them are just taking the mick.

Two recent examples -

Batman Begins - huge microwave generator vaporises all nearby water. It vaporises the towns water supply, but has no effect on the humans (I think the last time I checked this out - we were 80% water...)

War Of The Worlds - As the aliens land, everything mechanical and electrical stops. However, someone manages to use his camcorder to video the entire thing. Hmmm. Strange.

Any more things to add?
Tue 02/08/05 at 12:08
Regular
Its been a while since I've seen it now, but is there the possibility that the camera was brought from elsewhere? Perhaps it was from an as yet unaffected area, allowing it to work. Bit thin. Also, I think we see footage from it, but if not, maybe its one of those guys who doesn't know if the red light is flashing or not and was "filming" without the camera on. Even thinner.
Tue 02/08/05 at 12:08
Regular
I think people are taking films a bit too seriously.
Tue 02/08/05 at 12:01
Regular
It sort of bothers me, but the phase passes.

I think it's just down to the logic part in your brain, being fed information about EMP then seeing an electrical device work, it just upsets it a bit.

Meh.
Tue 02/08/05 at 11:57
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
ssxpro wrote:
> A video camera working when all electrics have
> been knocked out doesn't have a reasonable ficticious argument to
> support it. You could say that it was inhabited by ghosts or made by
> SSD, Sony Supernatural Division, but it just doesn't make sense in
> the film's setting.

So people have experience of exactly what happens when an alien emp (if it is actually an emp) goes off?

Nah, sorry, I'm not bothered at all about small "mistakes".
Tue 02/08/05 at 11:39
Regular
Three-legged invading aliens are what the movie is about. Their invasion is something we've all read about and although its unlikely to happen, it makes sense in the world of fiction because you can see how it could happen. A video camera working when all electrics have been knocked out doesn't have a reasonable ficticious argument to support it. You could say that it was inhabited by ghosts or made by SSD, Sony Supernatural Division, but it just doesn't make sense in the film's setting.

Anyway, back to Hippyman's point, stuff like the camera I can forgive because it seems quite minor in the movie, but I have to agree on the Batman comment. I was thinking the same thing for the whole of the second half of the movie and still can't think of a way round it. I'm fairly sure they even walk right in front of it so I can't even suggest that its a directed beam that doesn't harm anything ouside its range.

The only thing left is the rather flimsy idea that it has to be "just water". Its some kind of beam that we don't understand that only affects water on its own and has no effect on water mixed in other... no I can't even finish that. Its flawed. A shame really.
Tue 02/08/05 at 11:19
Regular
"I like beef"
hippyman - films don't have to be even vaguely realistic- they're just there for a cheap laugh, or scream, or crying session or...

Okay, I'm rambling...
Tue 02/08/05 at 11:18
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Yet strangely, three legged aliens intent on destroying mankind rising from the ground doesn't seem to phase you?
Tue 02/08/05 at 11:13
Regular
"Green & White Army"
Oh my God what is the world coming to when simple flaws like this happen in movies. *tut* *tut*
Tue 02/08/05 at 09:47
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
It might be because I am taking three science A-levels at the moment, but have you noticed the amount of flaws in movies lately? Or things that don't quite add up. OK, most of them are completely ficticious but some of them are just taking the mick.

Two recent examples -

Batman Begins - huge microwave generator vaporises all nearby water. It vaporises the towns water supply, but has no effect on the humans (I think the last time I checked this out - we were 80% water...)

War Of The Worlds - As the aliens land, everything mechanical and electrical stops. However, someone manages to use his camcorder to video the entire thing. Hmmm. Strange.

Any more things to add?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.