GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Deferred Success"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/07/05 at 17:47
Regular
"0228"
[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4697461.stm[/URL]

Ahahahahaha.

I laugh but it really isn't funny, it's pathetic. I can 100% guarantee that this will make no improvements to the quality of peoples' desire to learn, if anything these people would believe that they are completely immune to failure and so will do even less work. People that continually fail have no desire to learn and revise and so there's little point in these new, and useless methods.

How about we try concentrating on those that do well, giving us a nation with some geniuses and a few retards, rather than what looks like will happen where there'll be some average and some thick. People that don't work now are more likely to begin to work if all the attention is put on those that already work. Or something...
Wed 20/07/05 at 20:34
Regular
It's an impressive attempt for labour to improve exam results.
"Well Mr Blair, although making exams easy helped, and treating GNVQs as equivalent to 17 GCSEs helped screw the system, if we really want to cut the failure rate..."

I think it's important that kids learn something of the real world while at school.

Namely, that they're failures.

However, there may be a case for creating a new grade between fail and lowest pass, something like 'Durnbass, but we didn't have the heart to tell him' would do.

But if you get rid of failure completely then people who set their sights on scraping by would have nothing to aim for.
You need some balance of carrot and stick.
Wed 20/07/05 at 19:24
Regular
"Excommunicated"
'Friendly Fire' and 'Collateral Damage' are my favourite rapes of the English language.
Wed 20/07/05 at 19:22
"period drama"
Oh good, our moronic children won't be failing anymore! The problem is solved!
Wed 20/07/05 at 19:11
Regular
"You've upset me"
Kilgore Trout wrote:
> So, failure will become an unword, then? What's next?

Anyone else feeling this is uncomfortably similar to Newspeak?

"The destruction of words is a beautiful thing"
Wed 20/07/05 at 19:03
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
Memorandum! wrote:
> Liz Beattie, a retired teacher, will call on the association's
> annual gathering in Buxton, Derbyshire, to "delete the word
> 'fail' from the educational vocabulary to be replaced with the
> concept of 'deferred success'".

So, failure will become an unword, then? What's next?

Alfonse wrote:
> No failure makes me determined to get better

Ha ha, your 'failure' to use a comma is ironically amusing.
Wed 20/07/05 at 19:01
Regular
"You've upset me"
Absurdly pathetic.
Wed 20/07/05 at 19:01
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I deferred success my honours application.
Wed 20/07/05 at 18:46
Regular
"bot"
This is the most idiotic thing I've ever read.

"What happens when an exam is failed but, for example, three-quarters of it is perfectly satisfactorily done? It should be possible to do the other bits as add-ons afterwards and to defer the success of the exam."

Someone should probably tell this woman that 75% is a grade B and 5% off a grade A...
Wed 20/07/05 at 18:42
Regular
No failure makes me determined to get better and envy drives me forward.
Wed 20/07/05 at 18:42
Regular
"bot"
Liz Beattie, a retired teacher, will call on the association's annual gathering in Buxton, Derbyshire, to "delete the word 'fail' from the educational vocabulary to be replaced with the concept of 'deferred success'".

I weep.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.