GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Spiders"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/07/05 at 00:04
Regular
"SOUP!"
Do people have like an inert fear of spiders, is it natural to think "argh, kill it" when we see one? I mean, small creatures running about like mice or voles or kittens dont make people weep and flail, but spiders do.

I just saw one on the kitchen floor and stamped the little freak in a voodoo war-dance style, got me thinking, why the hell did I care it was there?
Fri 22/07/05 at 03:24
Regular
"Jackpot!"
Lol, tarantulas do kill, and they look plain evil.
Fri 22/07/05 at 01:39
"Darkness, always"
down wrote:
> Tarantulas can't kill, can they?
>
> Unless you have an allergic reaction

Which species?
Fri 22/07/05 at 01:38
"Darkness, always"
Chr1s wrote:
> I remember there being some awful CGI of a giant pre-historic
> arachnid crawling around. It was altogether very crude but I thought
> it was at least based on some sort of fact.
>
> Meh, blame Channel 5...

Ha, if you're referring to that ludicrous claim of a 'dog sized arachnid', that was proved a hoax quite some time ago. Without serious biological changes (the sort that would declassify a species from a certain group of creatures), it's fairly improbable for any arachnid to grow any larger than they do today.

But I say again, why do they need to be any bigger? A brown relcuse spider can give a bite that can cause live flesh to rot, a black widow, an australian red-back, a funnelweb and many more can kill. Any of these could fit inconspicuously in the palm of your hand. They are lethal simply because we are ill-equipped to survive their attacks.

Perhaps, while humans still lived in caves - caves shared with all manner of arachnids - this was a lesson harshly learned. Scorpions belong to the same arachnid family as spiders do. Some species of which can survive being frozen in ice. They're all a rung above us in the evolutionary ladder. Venom, silk, instinct, durability. In comparison, it's a wonder that humans have survived at all.
Fri 22/07/05 at 00:10
Regular
"SOUP!"
[URL]http://images.art.com/images/PRODUCTS/Regular/10042000/10042195.jpg[/URL] Im the small one
At my awesome villa in Casa-del-poinita we encounter dragons and mermaids. We're all very rich and wear white tuxedos all day long. On a night whilst the hula-hula girls dance for us we can hear the click-click of komodo dragons eating antelopes. It's most offputting.
Fri 22/07/05 at 00:03
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
[URL] http://img321.imageshack.us/img321/6281/117325ni.jpg[/URL]
You can only imagine what sort of things we found at our villa in Florida.
Apart from the usual lizards and roaches, we had turtles, frogs, praying mantis, scary little red spiders that chassed you and stood on the back of there legs, but raccoons top them all of. Whilst sitting round the pool at night you here them hissing and rustling in the bushes at the least the netting can protect you from them.
Thu 21/07/05 at 23:57
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Spiders have never been much larger than the largest of modern
> tarantulas. They, along with other insects and arachnids, lack lungs,
> and their size is limited thusly.
>
> But the problem with spiders is yet their size. A thousandth our
> size, they can still kill us. Black Widow, Funnelweb, Brown Recluse,
> tarantula, among others. Do not get caught in bed with them.

Tarantulas can't kill, can they?

Unless you have an allergic reaction
Thu 21/07/05 at 23:30
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Spiders have never been much larger than the largest of modern
> tarantulas. They, along with other insects and arachnids, lack lungs,
> and their size is limited thusly.

Then TV has lied to me.

Suppose that's what you get for watching 'nature' programmes on Channel 5...a load of bs.

I remember there being some awful CGI of a giant pre-historic arachnid crawling around. It was altogether very crude but I thought it was at least based on some sort of fact.

Meh, blame Channel 5...
Thu 21/07/05 at 22:33
"Darkness, always"
Spiders have never been much larger than the largest of modern tarantulas. They, along with other insects and arachnids, lack lungs, and their size is limited thusly.

But the problem with spiders is yet their size. A thousandth our size, they can still kill us. Black Widow, Funnelweb, Brown Recluse, tarantula, among others. Do not get caught in bed with them.
Thu 21/07/05 at 22:22
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> They have walked this earth a million times longer than we have,
> adapting to everything, surviving everything. This is their
> world, and we are merely squatting on it.

We should be thankful that spiders have evolved into the size they are now. In comparison with the arachnids of thousands and millions of years gone by, they are small.
Thu 21/07/05 at 22:17
Regular
I killed it, it's not looking at me anymore.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.