GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Need help getting rid of a search toolbar"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/07/05 at 12:43
"Was the man of marz"
Basically, was surfing the net and those usual 'do you want to install' messages came up. I clicked no but a search toolbar with loads of links showed up. This isn't the problem. Since this 'Searchtoolbar' has showed up, a trojan alert appears virtually everytime I open a new browser opened, and AVG is incapable to heal, delete or move it. Just now I signed into SR chat forums and was redirected to a poker site. Usually you can right click in the browser to unselect toolbars you do't want, but everything is shaded grey. Also, in add/remove programs there is nothing. Apart from something called Wareout which searched the computer when I wasn't looking and wanted to erase important files.

Well getting rid of that spoof scanner was easy but the toolbar is a lot more tricky due to the fact it doesn't seem to be found by spybot, ad-aware or a-squared, and spy doctor which usually sorts bull like this out now has a 'problem unpacking'. Final clue to what might be going on is the fact Ikeep on getting this 'windows firewall message' talking of unusual activity. Now on windows 98se with zone alarm it doesn't take a genius to realise this is a load of rubbish. So, any help would be greatly appreciated, and maybe there might be a free trip to New york to sort out the guy behind this

Bless the Whois database
Mon 11/07/05 at 22:41
"Was the man of marz"
There's quite a lotin the downloaded program files. One called ppctlcab and the rest are ok or just under code names: {06-696} for example

Edit- They are all from reliable sources, apart from the ppctlcab which is from computer associates
Mon 11/07/05 at 22:25
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Is it showing up in your Downloaded Programs file if you have one?
Mon 11/07/05 at 22:19
"Was the man of marz"
No. Just a remove toolbar link which when clicked brings you to http://easy-find.info/search.php?q=spyware. Which is just a load of ads. Which makes me think this is another stupid way of someone getting the maximum from there afficiate scheme.
Mon 11/07/05 at 21:51
Regular
"Captain to you."
Is there any more information about the toolbar? like which company make it? if you right click it is there an 'about' option?
Mon 11/07/05 at 21:48
"Was the man of marz"
Rai wrote:
> Marz, that's incredibly strange.

The list? Not so, the list would be endless if they covered everything. I have checked add/remove programs, that's how youusuallyget rid of em'
Mon 11/07/05 at 21:00
Regular
"Captain to you."
I know it sounds silly but have you tried checking your add/remove programs for the toolbar?
Mon 11/07/05 at 20:54
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Marz, that's incredibly strange.
Mon 11/07/05 at 20:47
"Was the man of marz"
Rai wrote:
> It seemingly just vanished... my dad got StopZilla, which blocks
> pop-ups, and it seemed to go away.

Funny. Thanks to the problem everytime I go to sign into a site (ie: these forums) I get redirected to some stupid afficiate page. One of them was for stopzilla.
Mon 11/07/05 at 20:40
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Download SpySweeper from Webroot.com, Ad-Aware from Lavasoft and Spybot Search and Destroy. Use these in conjuction with your installed AV software.

Restart your PC in Safe Mode (F8 at start-up) and run all 3-4 programs simultaneously while in Safe Mode. See if that helps.

Also, there's a program you can download (I forget the name) but it'll tell you what in your task manager is running, what's controlling it and what programs / sites it's feeding to. Like Task manager but a deluxe one.

Best of luck.
Mon 11/07/05 at 20:38
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
SearchToolbar? Rings a bell. Might have had it on here.

It seemingly just vanished... my dad got StopZilla, which blocks pop-ups, and it seemed to go away.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.