GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Advertising is the Future....no seriously."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/06/01 at 10:49
Regular
In my eyes advertising is what will determine the success and the failure of the 128 bit consoles. Why? I hear you all say well let me explain.

Take the Playstation for example. If you watch T.v what console are you going to see an advert for........the Playstation of course. Now have another think what is the most popular console in the world today....again the Playstation. See the connection. Sony are continuing the trend with them Ps2 adverts going on about some "3rd place".

Ok maybe Nintendo do have one or two adverts a year, but they are mainly for their cartoony brands of game. E.g Pokemon and DK. This just strenghens the childish Nintendo image that they are so desperate to get rid of. Basically they have screwed themselves.

Sega on the other hand. Can you actually ever remember seeing a Dreamcast advert. Nope I didn't think so. Look where it is now. Another example that proves my point.

Basically Sony have already released their console and begun their advertising campaigns and I think Nintendo should follow suit. Possibly a mass advertising campaign a month or two before the Gamecubes release. Just to make sure everyone is aware of the new technology being made available to them. What about Microsoft I hear you say. Well considering the vast amounts of money they have I think you can guarantee huge amounts of advertising coming from them.

The key factor will be though how much they grab you and get you to think about it. Take the Ps2 ads. You dont actually have a clue what is being advertised right until the end when Ps2 is flashed onto the screen. And what exactly does the "3rd place" actually mean. Nintendo and Microsoft shoulf follow this tradition but with something fresh and new.

Any opinions?
Sat 02/06/01 at 11:14
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Hey TurboNutter how long have you known the Game. Probably longer than me. What is your opinion of him....?
Sat 02/06/01 at 11:12
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
With The Game, I don't know....
Sat 02/06/01 at 11:07
Regular
NOw this is strange. I can not decide whever to take what you just said literally or as an attempt to further my support for you in the election.
Mind you, you seemed pretty sincere so I'll take it for what you said.
Sat 02/06/01 at 11:03
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I hadn't thought about it like that MJ, you have a very good point and it's well made. Advertising can do a lot for the videogames industry and we'll soon be watching the first GBA adverts. I haven't downloaded the video yet but it should be pretty good!

I haven't seen to many Dreamcast adverts either, mind you. The Dreamcast logo is printed on quite a few of the European football strips Arsenal and a few others. I think, that although this isn't TV advertising, it is very effective and will catch the eye of quite a few people! But I totally get where you're coming from, top-stuff!

Keep it Up!

Game
Sat 02/06/01 at 11:03
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
That was quite a good advert.

I think the best ones were for GT1.
Sat 02/06/01 at 11:02
Regular
So! your point. It is only because of the huge following Sony has already that the advertising didn't really matter. The original PS did have a massive ad campaign though didn't it.
On another note do you remember the Zelda:OoT advert.

"will thou get the girl......."

"or play like one"

No offence Iguana.
Sat 02/06/01 at 11:02
LOL to turbo nutter! :P
Sat 02/06/01 at 10:58
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The PS2 ad campiagn hasn't been huge, you know. The thing is about the PS2, EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT IT!!!! Sony don't need to advertise. Just stick a few booths here and there, that's it.
Sat 02/06/01 at 10:49
Regular
In my eyes advertising is what will determine the success and the failure of the 128 bit consoles. Why? I hear you all say well let me explain.

Take the Playstation for example. If you watch T.v what console are you going to see an advert for........the Playstation of course. Now have another think what is the most popular console in the world today....again the Playstation. See the connection. Sony are continuing the trend with them Ps2 adverts going on about some "3rd place".

Ok maybe Nintendo do have one or two adverts a year, but they are mainly for their cartoony brands of game. E.g Pokemon and DK. This just strenghens the childish Nintendo image that they are so desperate to get rid of. Basically they have screwed themselves.

Sega on the other hand. Can you actually ever remember seeing a Dreamcast advert. Nope I didn't think so. Look where it is now. Another example that proves my point.

Basically Sony have already released their console and begun their advertising campaigns and I think Nintendo should follow suit. Possibly a mass advertising campaign a month or two before the Gamecubes release. Just to make sure everyone is aware of the new technology being made available to them. What about Microsoft I hear you say. Well considering the vast amounts of money they have I think you can guarantee huge amounts of advertising coming from them.

The key factor will be though how much they grab you and get you to think about it. Take the Ps2 ads. You dont actually have a clue what is being advertised right until the end when Ps2 is flashed onto the screen. And what exactly does the "3rd place" actually mean. Nintendo and Microsoft shoulf follow this tradition but with something fresh and new.

Any opinions?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.