GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Advertising is the Future....no seriously."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/06/01 at 10:49
Regular
In my eyes advertising is what will determine the success and the failure of the 128 bit consoles. Why? I hear you all say well let me explain.

Take the Playstation for example. If you watch T.v what console are you going to see an advert for........the Playstation of course. Now have another think what is the most popular console in the world today....again the Playstation. See the connection. Sony are continuing the trend with them Ps2 adverts going on about some "3rd place".

Ok maybe Nintendo do have one or two adverts a year, but they are mainly for their cartoony brands of game. E.g Pokemon and DK. This just strenghens the childish Nintendo image that they are so desperate to get rid of. Basically they have screwed themselves.

Sega on the other hand. Can you actually ever remember seeing a Dreamcast advert. Nope I didn't think so. Look where it is now. Another example that proves my point.

Basically Sony have already released their console and begun their advertising campaigns and I think Nintendo should follow suit. Possibly a mass advertising campaign a month or two before the Gamecubes release. Just to make sure everyone is aware of the new technology being made available to them. What about Microsoft I hear you say. Well considering the vast amounts of money they have I think you can guarantee huge amounts of advertising coming from them.

The key factor will be though how much they grab you and get you to think about it. Take the Ps2 ads. You dont actually have a clue what is being advertised right until the end when Ps2 is flashed onto the screen. And what exactly does the "3rd place" actually mean. Nintendo and Microsoft shoulf follow this tradition but with something fresh and new.

Any opinions?
Sat 02/06/01 at 12:14
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
GayCube
GayBoy
GayBoy Advance
GayBoy Colour
Sat 02/06/01 at 12:13
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
N-sixty-poor
Sat 02/06/01 at 11:45
Regular
"everyone says it"
The promotion of a console is indeed a tell-tale for how well the console will do, for millions will be spent on each console in all parts of the world. it will therefore be very interesting to see what happens when the Xbox and Gamecube promote themselves, their launch is so close to one another in America that adverts and bitter comments will be the going back and forth.

Every console has used advertising as a way of promoting itself, and yes the Playstation and Playstation 2 adverts were completly useless for promoting that console, but the originality and strangeness is what pulled many people towards the console, the casual gamers and average person would remember that advert because of the originality, and when in the shop may have probably favoured what they could remember.

A prime example of advertsing for a game is Smackdown 2 on the Playstation, this game was advertised in the UK on television, radio and billboards, looking at the success of this game compared with the success of NoMercy (which in my opinion is the better game) shows that advertising and knowing about the game is all the game needs.

Another recent example is the most appauling game ever to make it to the top of the charts, yes thats right, Simpsons Wrestling, however bad the game is it would still sell because of all the little kids out there just loving the 'eat my shorts' world.

The next-generation consoles are going to have adverts, billboards, posters...etc to promote their launch, we will have a bombardment of these in this country early next year, and when we have the fresh Xbox and Gamecube, we will also have another attack on our screens from Sony, who seem to know the exact right time when to promote their console.

Advertising may not be the future of gaming, but it is a key element for any company that wants to have any success.

Thanks
er-no
Sat 02/06/01 at 11:36
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Who is he. Can you tell me......actually wait till later as I cn not stay very long. My english coursework calls me. I totally forgot about it.
Sat 02/06/01 at 11:32
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I've heard of pinkpig
Sat 02/06/01 at 11:27
Regular
That is strange a console pun that I dont know. My fave are:
Greysation
Greystation poo
Dreampants
Phony greystation 1

If this seems Nintendo biased it isnt it is just I cant thnk of anytihng that rhymes with it.

Also do you know someone called "pinkpig".
Sat 02/06/01 at 11:21
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
a) The Ex-box is not going to be in number one

b) The PS2 and GC are virtually equal machines

c) **prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod! prod!**

d) Mwwwhhhhaaa haaa haa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !

e) Just kidding

f) :)
Sat 02/06/01 at 11:18
Regular
Thanks for that. Now I can be sure of my VOte for The Game.
Sat 02/06/01 at 11:16
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
MJswerve wrote:
> Hey TurboNutter how long have you known the Game. Probably longer
> than me. What is your opinion of him....?

Sraight up bloke, jokes a bit, but alright. Makes some crap topics, but not many. All in all, I'd believe him.
Sat 02/06/01 at 11:16
Regular
He I have just realised something. Now should I say it coz I will probably be prodded about it for ages. Oh never mind I'll say it any way.

The "3rd place"=1.x-box
2.GameCube
3.Ps2

See what I mean the 3rd place. Obviously Sony saw what was going to happen.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.