GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Advertising is the Future....no seriously."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/06/01 at 10:49
Regular
In my eyes advertising is what will determine the success and the failure of the 128 bit consoles. Why? I hear you all say well let me explain.

Take the Playstation for example. If you watch T.v what console are you going to see an advert for........the Playstation of course. Now have another think what is the most popular console in the world today....again the Playstation. See the connection. Sony are continuing the trend with them Ps2 adverts going on about some "3rd place".

Ok maybe Nintendo do have one or two adverts a year, but they are mainly for their cartoony brands of game. E.g Pokemon and DK. This just strenghens the childish Nintendo image that they are so desperate to get rid of. Basically they have screwed themselves.

Sega on the other hand. Can you actually ever remember seeing a Dreamcast advert. Nope I didn't think so. Look where it is now. Another example that proves my point.

Basically Sony have already released their console and begun their advertising campaigns and I think Nintendo should follow suit. Possibly a mass advertising campaign a month or two before the Gamecubes release. Just to make sure everyone is aware of the new technology being made available to them. What about Microsoft I hear you say. Well considering the vast amounts of money they have I think you can guarantee huge amounts of advertising coming from them.

The key factor will be though how much they grab you and get you to think about it. Take the Ps2 ads. You dont actually have a clue what is being advertised right until the end when Ps2 is flashed onto the screen. And what exactly does the "3rd place" actually mean. Nintendo and Microsoft shoulf follow this tradition but with something fresh and new.

Any opinions?
Mon 04/06/01 at 09:39
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> I just assumed he was refering to marketing, and got on with it from
> there. : )

lol... its cool man... I was responding more to his post... rather than questioning your own

:)
Mon 04/06/01 at 09:33
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Courtesy of Bill Hicks:

"If anyone here is in advertising or marketing...kill yourself. Seriously..y'all are waiting for a joke right? There's no joke, kill yourself. I dont care how you do it, hang yourself, borrow a gun from a yank friend..just kill yourself. YOu are the ruiner of all things good, you are filling the world with violent evil garbage, you are ******* and you are ******** us."
Mon 04/06/01 at 09:25
Regular
"not dead"
I just assumed he was refering to marketing, and got on with it from there. : )
Mon 04/06/01 at 09:22
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> Advertising is only a small part of the whole marketing campaign, so
> yes, I guess marketing is more appropriate than advertising.

If thats the case... then surly what MJswerve is saying was outdated a decade or two back?

asnt marketing always beenthe maker/breaker of systems... even if its 'word-of-mouth'?

I seem to remeber back in the early eighties, they were releasing new machines every month... but out of them only 2 companies (in the UK) initially really survived... Sinclair and Commodore...

All because of marketing...
Mon 04/06/01 at 09:17
Regular
"not dead"
Advertising is only a small part of the whole marketing campaign, so yes, I guess marketing is more appropriate than advertising.
Mon 04/06/01 at 09:12
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Dont you mean Marketing rather than Advertising?
Mon 04/06/01 at 09:09
Regular
"not dead"
Advertising can help build hype.

Hype sells.

Advertising is good as it means people buy things that they don't know all of the information about, and they don't really need.

Actually, in the future advertising will be imprortant to the games industry in more ways than just promoting their own products.

There is a trend beginning to develop of companies paying for their products to be in games. In the past it was the other way around, with the developers paying to have various things in their games to give it a sense of realism. Now, it appears that those boards around the pitch on FIFA World Cup 2002 could be worth a bit of money to the developers.

There's no doubt that this game will sell by the bucketload, it's football, and it will have all of the teams and players taking place in the greatest sporting event on the planet.

Millions of people will see those advertising boards, so why not use them?

Similarly rather than your character carrying around a can of cola, why not have Pepsi and Coca-Cola bidding for the right to be the choice of cola of Solid Snake?

Impressional youngsters would much rather drink the cola that Snake drinks rather than the other kind.

Of course it could get to ridiculous levels.

Every industry has highs and lows, and in one of the gaming industrys future lows we may see developers desperate to stay afloat. The market is so competitive that even good games can go under. As a result the developers lose thousands, all of that time and money wasted. To fund their next project they may only have one solution......

....Imagine you've just bought a new game. You switch it on, and have a bit of a play. You soon lose all your lives, or reach a point in which you're stuck. So you go back into the box to fetch out the manual. Inside the box though, you find not only the manual, but half a dozen leaflets about a sale at Game, Pizza Hut, and the like!

You can handle this, they'll either go straight into the bin, or clutter up some shelf somewhere. Fair enough.

Anyway, you find the information you're after, and continue with the game. You reach the end of level boss, and after several attempts you beat him. You can't wait to see what comes next in the game.....

....The screen goes black, you're expecting an awesome cut scene to appear any second.....

"Dr Pepper, so misunderstood" What the hell! It's a commercial! Quick press the buttons, skip it! Oh, you can't. You must watch!

It could happen though. Commercials between the levels of games.

You heard it here first.
Sat 02/06/01 at 12:29
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Dreamcrap
Sat 02/06/01 at 12:28
Gaystation
grey station.
Sat 02/06/01 at 12:24
Samecube
Lamecube

Didn't dreamcast have those "cum 'n' 'ave a go if you fink you're 'ard enuf" ads about online play?

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.