GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Piracy, apparently it's bad..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/06/05 at 06:30
Regular
"8==="
[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4122624.stm[/URL]

and again

[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4124252.stm[/URL]
Fri 24/06/05 at 12:03
Regular
"Captain to you."
From what i have heard the RIAA get around $700-$150,000 per song from the people it sues.
Fri 24/06/05 at 11:59
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Chippxero wrote:
> They fine very harshly for one music track but they don't make real
> examples of people.

From what I've seen, the benchmark for the fine to be paid, is equal to the sum of the songs X 60-70p (Ie. the price of a download at iTunes or whatever).

However, this just shows how expensive it'd be if you actually did it legally, so how will it make people do the rioghtr thing in the future?

Also, they set it up like this to show they're "nice guys", but they haven't actually punished the people. It's like a burglar steeling a TV, then only being punished by the police saying "Give it back"...
Fri 24/06/05 at 11:57
Regular
"Captain to you."
Agreed, i mean chances are if your friend goes out and gets a new album and says it's really good, you are likely to get a copy off him and if you think it's really good you would then go buy it. Or atleast this is how it is for me.

I think alot of people see downloading as a test for something new so that they can see what something is like before buying. a single song isn't enough to judge if £13 should be spent on an album just like 20 screenshots and a few movies arn't enough to check if a game should be purchased.

With games people simply don't know half the time if it will run on their system well or not. you don't want to go buy a game only to find that although it runs it runs like the fat kid at school plodding along for 5 minutes then stuttering for a little rest.
Fri 24/06/05 at 11:51
Regular
I think the industry are too controlling.
That everyone who comes across their music should've paid for it, that EVERY one should be accounted for. Also, the figures are probably bull too.
They seem to assume that everyone who downloads a song/copies a friend's album would've bought it otherwise.

If there's an album that I want to buy then I'll buy it.
I save downloading/copying for trying new stuff that I'm not really sure I want.
Fri 24/06/05 at 11:45
Regular
"Captain to you."
I think the console games industry rips off it's customers often player will pay £10-15 more than a PC version of the game.

Music wise i think they do need to reduce the prices a bit, i havn't looked at legal download costs as i buy music because i liek having the case and booklet.

They fine very harshly for one music track but they don't make real examples of people.
Fri 24/06/05 at 11:38
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Problem is, the music industry is ripping us off.

Atleast competition has reduced computer games from £39.99 RRP to about £28, but I'm sure they'll go up again with the new launch.

Likewise with the record industry, album prices have still gone down, but not far enough in my opinion. Considering how there are almost always a couple of "filler" songs, you're not even paying for effort to be put into every song.

The legal download industry is now overpriced aswell. If the music industry ever want to get this all back in check, they have to lower prices or sue a hell of a lot of people.
Fri 24/06/05 at 11:15
Regular
"Captain to you."
The movie industry has that same problem, often it's people somewhere down the line that decide to leak the film, projectionists in premiere cinemas or just someone on a production line in a DVD factory.

There are too many people that have the ability to get to the data but it's going to take a long time before all these people can be taken out of the loop, by which time someone will have hacked the robots to steal for them.

I'm not sure that most people see it ok because the artist/company have alot of money already sure they do have a lot of money but most of it goes on the next production.

Alot of game downloaders do infact buy alot of the ones that they really like, this is probably for multiplayer i think they see them as big demos.
Fri 24/06/05 at 11:08
Regular
In my opinion, to tackle the problem, I suggest they

a) Stop Lars Ulrich [URL]http://www.nndb.com/people/467/000024395/pic25b-red.jpg[/URL] (Metallica) from selling his paintings and making a truck load of money, even though he gets enraged because "people don't pay for our music!!"

b) Give musicians the chance to get the money instead of it all going on the record bosses cocaine habit.

Actually scrap it. The 'problem' is just too vast to control.

People are getting music before their release date, you know why? Because employees/journalists are able to get their hands on an advanced CD and place it on the Internet within minutes. Heck, the data only has to be on their computer for 12 hours, the data will of spread worldwide by then.
Fri 24/06/05 at 10:57
Regular
"Captain to you."
I'd say almost everyone on the net downloads music but i doubt many people see it as wrong when they do.

Movies i can see why people download them as i personally get nothing from the so called 'Cinema' experience, but after getting a nasty letter from paramount i learnt my lesson and don't download movies now.

Music is something you are very likely to get caught for but because of the number of people doing it (everyone) it always seems unlikely that it will be you. Thing is the punishment for music is a pretty high fine i heard and not really worth the risk.

How many bands can one person really like, and need all the music too right there and then? most bands don't release something new every week, so surely anyone with a job can go out once a month and spend some money on albums. For me personally there are only about 2-3 albums a year that i would buy so paying for them is no big deal.
Fri 24/06/05 at 10:49
Regular
To be honest, most downloaders (in my opinion) cannot afford to shell out £9 for an album, £7 for a cinema ticket, £12 for a DVD and £35 for a game.

Oh and £70 for Windows XP, unless you use one of the open souce operating systems.

And anyway, piracy has been going on for years. I remember people using the "two video recorders" trick to copy rented movies and share them at work/school/college.

Downloading is just the cheaper (illegal) alternative, which is now seen as normal behaviour.

Oh and it talks about foreign countries being the worst offenders, well seeing as Asia suffers from poverty and low pay, it's not surprising that piracy is rife

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.