GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Piracy, apparently it's bad..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/06/05 at 06:30
Regular
"8==="
[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4122624.stm[/URL]

and again

[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4124252.stm[/URL]
Fri 24/06/05 at 14:34
Regular
"Captain to you."
They don't want to prosecute because most of the people who listen to it will top themselves and so there is no one to punish.
Fri 24/06/05 at 14:26
Regular
"you've got a beard"
down wrote:

> Though actually, most are Radiohead, and didn't they say they didn't
> want to prosecute music pirates?

they're just glad ANYone listens to their dreary little whinings.
Fri 24/06/05 at 14:02
Regular
"Captain to you."
It's down to the record companies not the artists in most cases.

The fines are worked out for how ever many items you are caught for, if they suspect you have alot then they can come in your house and check for burnt cd's and dvds and take all your storage mediums to check for pirated material.

for example say you ave 2 cases that hold 400 cds and they were both almost full it would be a good idea if you have a way to destroy them within a few seconds incase you get that knock a the door.

Formatting doesn't always get rid of everything, most of the time things can still be recovered, plus your ISP can always report to them how much traffic has gone through if they are asked, showing that it wasn't just a few songs.

If you own a copy then it is fine to download it, but only as long as you have the copy that you own, if you sell it you are then breaking the law.
Fri 24/06/05 at 13:41
So, because of my recent format, I'd have to pay around £14.

go me!

Though actually, most are Radiohead, and didn't they say they didn't want to prosecute music pirates?
Fri 24/06/05 at 13:26
Regular
"the burning sky"
down wrote:
> I personally download music, but nothing else.
>
> When they give fines, do they base it on how many tracks have been
> downloaded to your ip address, or the number of songs on your
> computer? Because that could be remedied by sticking everything on
> cds/mp3 player and then formatting.

Well surely it cant be IP address since that may not be static depending on your IP. Also is it illegal to rip the music to your Hard-drive after purchasing. Cus you could just say you did that, then sold the CD on eBay or something... Then again there's probably a law saying you must own the CD to make a backup of it or something...
Fri 24/06/05 at 13:16
I personally download music, but nothing else.

When they give fines, do they base it on how many tracks have been downloaded to your ip address, or the number of songs on your computer? Because that could be remedied by sticking everything on cds/mp3 player and then formatting.
Fri 24/06/05 at 12:24
Regular
"Captain to you."
Yeah stealing from UK companies is fine because they don't have the balls to do anything about it.

The americans have the right idea when it comes to organising huge groups of companys like the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) and the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America).

I assume there is a games and software one but i havn't heard of it yet as computer software doesn't seem to be as bothered about as it is now. sure people are like, no don't steal games but people are often just banned from offical servers and things like that.

20,000 Steam (half life 2 and counterstrike) accounts where disabled and the IP's logged when Halflife 2 was released as people where playing the beta of counterstrike source when it was a limited beta. But there was never a story of these people being charged with anything or having any punishment apart from having their accounts deleted.
Fri 24/06/05 at 12:17
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Ahahaha.

I love how music companies over here are too afraid and weak.

:D
Fri 24/06/05 at 12:05
Regular
"Captain to you."
Recording Industry Association of America
Fri 24/06/05 at 12:05
Regular
"The Red Shift"
RIAA?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.