GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Piracy, apparently it's bad..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/06/05 at 06:30
Regular
"8==="
[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4122624.stm[/URL]

and again

[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4124252.stm[/URL]
Sat 25/06/05 at 14:25
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
I know a lot of people in the games industry. They're the biggest bunch of pirates around. As soon as something is realeased, it's bought by one then striaght into the cd toasters.

They simply don't care about piracy a lot of the time. The main reason is that they get paid regardless. They also say it's better that people play their products even if it's not bought, than no-one play them at all.
Sat 25/06/05 at 12:34
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Stealing is stealing, copyright infringement isn't stealing, but "steal" a crime. I think the best way for it to stop is for publishers/retailers to lower the mark-up and cost of the product. If it costs something like 50p to make a single and £1 to make an album, why do we have to fork out upto £4/£15 for it? They need some return from each item so I reckon people would be less tempted to go pirate if singles were about £2 and albums no more than £6.
Sat 25/06/05 at 11:38
Regular
Chippxero wrote:
> Basically stealing is stealing

Although piracy isn't theft, to steal something you have to deprive someone else of an item.

It's copyright infringement, to be pedantic
Sat 25/06/05 at 08:50
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Chippxero wrote:
>
> How many bands can one person really like, and need all the music too
> right there and then? most bands don't release something new every
> week, so surely anyone with a job can go out once a month and spend
> some money on albums. For me personally there are only about 2-3
> albums a year that i would buy so paying for them is no big deal.

I've probably aquired maybe 80 CDs since Christmas.
Sat 25/06/05 at 02:57
Regular
"Captain to you."
I cry every night about their loss.

Basically stealing is stealing, it is not ok to steal from some just because they are rich, sure Mr Hood made a name for himself doing it but it's not always going to work out like that, most people on here got angry at me when they realised i dabbled in the odd bit of piracy in the past and i don't mention it anymore. Mostly through fear of pitch forks and touches charging down the docks.

There is no peoples hero in piracy, these days people accept that they should pay for services and items that they want and all should know that they are breaking the law if they don't.

Companies don't just sit there counting their cash, they often spend huge amounts of it on the next production.
Sat 25/06/05 at 00:58
Regular
Because of you people downloading movies illegally, the hollywood studios only made $10.85 billion last year. God knows how you sleep at night you evil [Expletive Deleted]!

You = criminal
Hollywood Studio = innocent law-abiding victim (who now have one less Private jet)
Fri 24/06/05 at 18:03
Regular
"Captain to you."
There have always been chips and disks to boot up copied games on a machine, it's only because console companies make all their consoles the same, bar one part which determines the region of the machine in some it's a chip that is added or a junction not connected, these disks/chips then tell the console that the console doesn't have the chip or the junction is connected and so it can run the game from Asia or the US.

Console piracy is bound to increase with the introduction of hard drives in the systems, this allows users to transfer data straight in to the console and they just use a simple program to make the xbox (for example) think that there is a disk in the drive.

My last console was a Dreamcast and I didn't buy a PAL version I got a Asia one because the majority of games come out in Asia and most include English anyway. I then used a utopia (legal) boot disk for my one PAL game.

At least the gamecube was built a bit more anti-piracy than the other consoles, silly little disks and no one knowing how the little box works helped a lot.

Just remember that game piracy has been around since the first computers, people used to be able to phone a friend and play the static on their cassette tape game over the phone, if someone on the other end recorded the sounds coming through the phone they could then use the cassette they just recorded to, to play the game their friend has. Sure this was back in the day before the internet was common place and thousands of pirates took up sailing around the internet looking for booty.
Fri 24/06/05 at 17:42
Regular
And on the issue of video game piracy....

People are making/installing easily available "chips" for their console to allow them to play copied games.

The issue at hand is just too vast to control.
Fri 24/06/05 at 17:28
Regular
"Captain to you."
Yeah but people don't report the guy down the boot sale, but they should.

I turned a dvd site that posted/spammed on here over to the MPAA and the site has been closed and is due in court, the spammer annoyed me and was selling illegal stuff.
Fri 24/06/05 at 17:06
Regular
Piracy will continue, regardless of the BFI/MPAA/RIAA.

One thing that does interest me is the fact that most "downloaders" don't make a profit out of their actions.

Surely those selling dodgey DVDs at a car boot are shafting the industries involved, more then the ones who are doing it for personal use

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.